Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334670 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Atreyu's new CD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Atreyu's new CD  (Read 3384 times)
apaup

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2006, 04:09:30 PM »

Anyone here listen too Atreyu? i love them and there new CD is great! Its still Atreyu but with lyrics a more average person can understand....no more demon and vampiric metaphors.....but its till a fantastic CD.....thoughts??
Burning Dragon

mmmdugger1@wmconnect.com mmmdugger1 mike_humbug
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 12:45:33 AM »

No offense, but I thought Atreyu had the most laughable lyrics. :P

ZOMG VAMPIRES, WOLFS, AND OTHER MALLGOTH STUFF.
apaup

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 10:55:34 PM »

in which CD?
and what lyrics are so laughable?
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 11:06:39 PM »

Wow, I just read some of their lyrics. They're violent.

Violently emo.

How many damn songs do these guys write about girls? Like we really need Motley Crue Meets Bloodbath.

Just because you use "ripped my heart out and ate it" as opposed to "broke my heart in a million crying pieces" doesn't change the fact that you're whining. :P

The entire album "Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses" is whiny angst-induced mallgothiness.

Their next "great work" is full of "I'M SO FULL OF DEATH AND PAIN RAR" and "OMFG HOW ARE YOU ABLE TO PIERCE THROUGH MY HEART'S WALLS OF DEATH AND PAIN RAR".

I haven't high hopes for their latest.

EDIT: YAY POST #100 WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW?! I'M GOING TO MCDONALD'S!!

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 11:17:23 PM »

Wasn't Atreyu the kid from the Neverending Story? HE HAS A BAND NOW!?!?!?!?!?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

apaup

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 11:17:32 PM »

IMO, the lyrics are inventive and fit perfectly with the way they play.
Besides, music is not just about the lyrics. If you want words go read some peotry. The singers screams and the drummers voice are great and the music is fantastic. I really like Atreyu. There new album takes some listening to before you pick up taht its Atreyu due to the lack of demonic lyrics, but the melodies are still staright up Atreyu.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 11:23:26 PM »

No offense, but I can find about 10,000,000 bands that have the exact same sound as Atreyu.

And they can't write lyrics either.

While I agree that it's not always about the words (Hell, I'm a PRIEST fan), when you combine basically average, mainstream "metal/rock" sounds with Fad-Of-The-Month growling and screaming plus zero meaningful lyrical content (unless your entire life revolves around black clothing, blood, death, pain, and succubus-like dreamwomen who eventually betray you), you get a band I'm not going to want to hear more than once.

I'm sure the folks around here can reccommend you a billion bands who you'd enjoy more than Atreyu. No offense, but I don't see them becoming the next Iron Maiden or anything. Hell I doubt they'll be as financially successful as Slipknot.

And that is scary.

Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 11:25:05 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Wasn't Atreyu the kid from the Neverending Story? HE HAS A BAND NOW!?!?!?!?!?

I totally missed this. You deserve me doubleposting. This just won the thread.

apaup

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 11:31:34 PM »

well please then, styart naming other bands that i would enjoy more than Atreyu
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 11:35:44 PM »

I will, and I'll do it in a way that stays directly on-topic.

To elaborate a bit further on my first point in the above post, let me draw comparisons. Let's think of other bands that had a big lack of something, and what they had to compensate:

Van Halen. WE LOVE OPEN BASS STRINGS. Probably the worst bass playing in the history of rock music, which is a very bad thing 99 times out of 100. But when you have Eddie Van Halen, you can compensate. Plus, Right Now, someone is playing Right Now.

Judas Priest. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LYRICS? Wait, it doesn't matter, because the everlasting falsettos of Rob Halford and the almost obnoxious lead guitar, combined with solid basswork and drumming and an attitude that makes people want to see you, and you get The Godfathers of Metal.

Nirvana. No lead guitar playing whatsoever, very simple chord progressions, pretty average bass playing and below-average drumming that had a lack-thereof atmosphere. But that fit perfectly with the awful-but-endearing voice of Kurt Cobain, and his lyrics were the best thing anyone was writing that made it to radio at that time.

So what does Atreyu have? Heh...

As for bands that you'd like, if Atreyu is the sound you want out of the metal you listen to then you and I differ in taste. :P I usually always reccommend the same three old bands (Maiden, Sabbath, Priest), but I've been absolutely bonkers for Dream Theater and Blind Guardian like, all year. I also really enjoy Aria even though I don't understand a single word being sung.

A friend brought me a CD by Dragonforce and I get the feeling if I were to ask the metal gurus around here whether to listen I'd get a resounding "Yes." So I reccommend all of the above.

apaup

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 11:46:53 PM »

i love Nirvana, but im not a huge oldies fan
how about some modern bands...
Burning Dragon

mmmdugger1@wmconnect.com mmmdugger1 mike_humbug
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 04:08:02 AM »

All That Remains, It Dies Today (not much better on the lryics, but they got some good breakdowns and sweet guitaring), Shadows Fall, Pheonix Mourning, and Trivium.  All are Metalcore bands that you may dig if you enjoy Atreyu.

I hate to say it, but I used to be a fan of Atreyu.  About a year ago, I bought the re-issue of Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses (OMFG, NAME SAYS ALL!), and the lyrics writer (the vocalist) was explaining what the meaning behind the songs were.  Good lord, nearly all the songs had an emo meaning behind them, and one of them was about a dream he had about being chased by wolfs.  Such great lyric material, man!  I sold the album a month later. :P

Seriously, try some of the bands I listed above.  I actually enjoy them, even if they are Metalcore. :P

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Fuck yes on Dragonforce.

Step one: Buy any Dragonforce CD. I recommend their newest album, Inhuman Rampage.  You should be able to find it in most CD shops.

Step two: Sit down and listen to the album all the way through.

Step three: Get up, sell your Metalcore albums for the other Dragonforce CDs and a t-shirt.  Maybe even a poster! :)

Step four: FORCE yourself to love the older bands Dave mentioned. :P

Step five: Have fun!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 09:22:29 AM »

Burnt By The Sun and Luddite Clone were short-lived metalcore bands from New Brunswick NJ and were excellent.  God Forbid, also from the Brunz, kick some serious ass as well.  Another Jersey band that kicks some serious ass is Dillinger Escape Plan.

And definitely check out Between the Buried and Me.  It's like metalcore with progressive touches, like jazz style guitar progressions.  

And I think anyone into heavy music should be required by law to listen to the albums "Reign in Blood" by Slayer and "The Codex Necro" by Anaal Nathrakh.  Those albums can make even the toughest metalhead cry for mommy.

Oh and how could I forget Nile?  One of the best metal acts to come out in a long time.  Brutal death metal with Egyptian themes.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: