What's everyone's favorite map themes?
My favorite of all time is still Main Theme 1 from Albert Odyssey Gaiden
. On three separate occasions I've heard people say it "sounds like Chrono Cross" which is funny to me considering Chrono Cross came out three years after
Albert Odyssey Gaiden did. I love Naoki Kodaka's work.
I was actually going to mention this song and cite your review. You're the one who introduced me to this album. AO Gaiden is much better than the previous two AO titles, at least for music (and probably for everything else as well).
Off the top of my head, good map themes:
1. Chrono Cross (in the "other dimension" side where it uses the Radical Dreamers theme)
2. disc 2 of Legend of Dragoon
3. FFIII (NES, or the DS remake) has freaking awesome map music. "Eternal Legend of the Wind." Yes please.
4. And while we're at it... FFIV, VI, VII, VIII, IX. VIII especially; Blue Fields <3.
5. Wild Arms -- the whole soundtrack is pimp. The map music is part of the pimpness. WA2 as well.
6. SaGa 2 (FF Legend II) -- I can sing this song to myself, that's how ingrained it is.
7. If the opening area "fields" count as map music for the Ys series, I humbly submit pretty much every entry in the series.