Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 08:49:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334485 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  "Vastar" by Exodus Studios - NOW AVAILABLE!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Vastar" by Exodus Studios - NOW AVAILABLE!  (Read 3241 times)
Exodus
Game Developer and Artist

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:17:35 PM »

"Vastar" is a nostalgic RPG game for the PC, so if you like NES/SNES-style games like FF6, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Dragon Quest, then this game will probably be up your alley :)

All of the game's character artwork has been done solely by me, including some of the interfaces.

Music is done by award-winning film and television composer Gregory Tripi.

GET THE GAME!!
http://www.exodus-studio.com/modules/oledrion/product.php?product_id=31

More info and screenshots for the game can be found here at the official website: http://www.exodus-studio.com and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Exodus-Studios-LLC/113617436685
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:37:15 AM by Exodus » Logged

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 12:37:54 PM »

I like the music samples on the site.

Reasonably, for someone who has played dozens of the "old-timey" NES/SNES RPGs; what would a standard playthrough look like in terms of hours?

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »

I liked the music too.  The sonic aesthetics scream "American style film score" which is different from what I normally hear in Japanese/Japanese style RPG music.  I decided to mess around a bit with the freeware games on the site.  I like the atmosphere in Myth Xaran so far.  That volcanic overland the tiger-man first walks into feels a bit like the underworld in Terranigma.  Awakening's first impression is that it's refined, especially considering it's a speedgame. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Exodus

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »

Ramza: Estimated playtime would be around 8-10 hours, however, this of course varies by player. If you are the type of player that likes to get a 'perfect game' and get all of the sidequests and secrets, then it will, of course take considerably longer.

Dincrest: Yes, Greg is an American film and television composer, and Vastar was his first videogame he's composed, so it was something different for him :) As much as I love the feel of JRPG music, I think Greg's music seemed more appropriate for the atmosphere in Vastar.
Yes, much of Myth Xaran has been inspired by Terranigma, Breath of Fire and Dragon Quest, which are just three of my most favorite old school RPGs of all time :)

I appreciate the c&c, guys! :)

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:41:01 AM »

A professional composing for an independent game?  I'm intrigued.  Although the estimated playing time's a bit on the short end for my tastes (though I'm guessing the "4" adventures mean that would be 32 hours or so right there), since I don't have gobs of free time anymore, that isn't really a bad thing in my book.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:45:55 AM by Ryos » Logged

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Exodus

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:03:38 AM »

The music was the hardest to do. It was tough trying to find the right composer. As a developer, I think the music is among the most important aspects of a roleplaying game, as it is what really brings out the immersion and atmosphere of the story you're trying to tell.

Again, I'm only estimating the playtime (I'm really bad when it comes to stuff like this). I'm the type of person who likes getting a perfect game. I've played through the game a few times already and I've been averaging out about 8-10 hours. This may be a bit longer for other players, since they would not be familiar with the structure of the game itself. This game isn't something that one can just rush to the finish line, however. The difficulty level of enemies increases as the game progresses, which encourages players to explore, hunt and upgrade their equipment to prepare for the battles ahead.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »

Remember that all people play games differently, though we inevitably complete the same thing. Since I'm sure you wouldn't want to release the whole game for free, is it possible for you to make a demo with maybe two or three different quick scenarios people could play through? Something like how they did with the Granstream Saga demo ages ago. One dungeon and one boss fight accessible from the demo menu.
Exodus

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 02:29:34 AM »

I just finished working on a demo tonight, actually. The game is scheduled to be released 3/31! :)

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 02:59:58 AM »

Hey good luck Exodus!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: