Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 08:46:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334806 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Radiata Stories
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Radiata Stories  (Read 2808 times)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:42:02 PM »

Despite it having been 5 years since it was first released in the U.S., and actually having Gameshark codes for it, I'm only just getting around to Radiata Stories NOW.

And holy crap, am I sad that I delayed on it so long; it's probably one of the few, open-ended, mission-based RPGs done rather well.

PLOT

You are Jack Russell, a rather optimistic, if not incompetent youth, who ends up joining the Radiata Knights, if not for how famous and prestigious his father was. It's essentially a coming-of-age story, in which boy goes to city, boy gets a job, boy meets girl, and other hijinks ensue. The plot is supposed to be rather comedic in nature. Think of the rare comedic, medieval-period anime you might come across every so often.

CAMERA ANGLES

I like the camera angles in the game, in that most of the scenes side scroll from left to right, but you're still able to move three-dmensionally within them, e.g., front-to-back, besides just left-to-right.

GRAPHICS

There's a certain cel-shading effect that adds a storybook quality to the look of the game; the graphics are pretty clean, and refrain from looking too polygonal, and they rather succeed in achieving a three-dimensional anime-look with the characters. I especially like the armor and helmet stylings of some of the characters, since they're very distinct and diverse. Which leads to our next topic:

CHARACTERS

While a scant few are actually needed to tell the story, there are some hundred other few you can get to join your party, a la Chrono Cross, or more accurately even, Suikoden. Searching out all of the characters ends up adding quite an amount of beef to the game; I'd swear at least 1/3 of the game is entirely optional, and made up of side quests.

BATTLE SYSTEM

It's taken from Tri-Ace's early creations of Star Ocean, but you only get to control your main character, while issuing general orders to the rest of your team; strategy comes in the form of choosing what special attacks you equip, and the different moves you can link together into a combo attack.

QUESTIONS

Other than that, I guess the only question I have is for those who've played the game before me: Are there any prizes or rewards, or things unlocked from collecting every last single character in the game?

And, I hear there's a major split in the game, where you get to choose between one of two sides; if I only have time to check out one of them, which would you recommend and why?

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:03:24 AM »

It all went downhill when it had me choose sides and I went with the monsters, and really it wasn't that great before that. It painted Jack as pretty stupid for choosing that side, I didn't feel like I had enough interesting party members to use and in the end the plot felt unresolved. Take the human side and you might have a better time than I did.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:07:13 AM »

Um; no real prize for collecting every character from what I recall.  

I took the Human Route... Its easier, but by lord is the ending awful.  It's not much better with the human path.

But hey, here's my $0.02.

STORY
Starts cute- but then it gets all too serious all too fast and doesn't quite catch up.  
Can't decide to be light-hearted or a bit more political, or a bit more fantasy-esque.  The game could have actually benefit from a longer story to flesh out the potential.  Your sister and father *seem*like important characters before they're tossed to some political ploy for destruction or some stupid shit like that.
Thumb Down

GRAPHICS
Gorgeous!  No gripes - the characters are fleshed out beautifully.  Sad you get soooo little background on everyone.  I loved how the Warrior's guild was played out (you see nearly NONE of their faces, save out dear receptionist, and the lovely leader's friendbook picture).  The guild's people have their combination class of useless, cool, wacky, and ringer characters.

SOUND
Annoying to fuck.  Save a few lovely tracks - the rest get warn out fast.  And wow- there's is no great de-motivator to engage in a battle than it's fighting themes and raunchy victory fanfare.  The voices I suppose were okay.... but then the character who gets the last kill says "we won!" then zooms to the results menu with the *exact* same battle quote, "we won!".  Minor gripe; but seriously stupid.

BATTLE
lol- BLAND!  I barely remember it now, but I remember using more tactics in Bust-a-Move.  Another game with a gigantic roster of characters where something like 90% of them are useless.  THe right characters can take you to the end of the game with ease.

EXTRAS
Yeah, the 20 or whatever side missions were alright.  Some of the characters recruitments were a pain in the ass.  I don't know- to me this game wasn't worth the effort after.  I played it through to the end; I didn't mind it then...then I realised all that kinda lacked and it made for an unfullfilling experience

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:09:42 AM »

It all went downhill when it had me choose sides and I went with the monsters, and really it wasn't that great before that. It painted Jack as pretty stupid for choosing that side, I didn't feel like I had enough interesting party members to use and in the end the plot felt unresolved. Take the human side and you might have a better time than I did.
Code:
On the contrary - Jack picks up and leaves Radiata when Ridley dies.  You are walked off with what is probably the worst song to see you through the end of a game.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:13:04 AM by Dice » Logged

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:59:16 AM »

I liked being able to kick people. And not just kicking them, actually getting reactions because you're behaving like some agressive idiot. Fun!

citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »

I've serioiusly been thinking about adding this game to my que of things to play next. It gets such a mediocre responce from so many though. Then again so is RoF and I love that game lol

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 11:46:27 AM »

Just don't think too much while playing and just enjoy the wonderful world and music. It only becomes a drag if you consciously thing about how lacking the battlesystem is instead of just button bashing your way through it.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 10:52:22 PM »

But hey, here's my $0.02.
STORY
Starts cute- but then it gets all too serious all too fast and doesn't quite catch up.  

Really? I quit because it was super light and twee and I just couldn't take it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 12:15:43 AM »

Almost forgot, there're a number of artistic things I appreciate about the game: Icons! I like the little faces that accompany the prompts, e.g., Yes/No prompts, or how the scroll bar in the save menu is represented by a little running guy that sweats as he runs. Or the smiley face that's part of your clock! I appreciate random, artsy things like that!

Code:
On the contrary - Jack picks up and leaves Radiata when Ridley dies.  You are walked off with what is probably the worst song to see you through the end of a game.
HEY, I LIKED that song! I went to the trouble of tracking down the single it came from, as a matter of fact...it took 5 years after it was first released for me to find it, but dammit, I never gave up on it...I found it really reminiscent of some 80s vocal anime themes...

So... *that* happens regardless, eh? Why do so many RPG endings these days involve hero or heroine deaths?!

I liked being able to kick people. And not just kicking them, actually getting reactions because you're behaving like some agressive idiot. Fun!
Ohh yeah, how could I ever forget about that?!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:19:37 AM by Bernhardt » Logged
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »

I actually just replayed this fairly recently so I could finish up the second story path (human). Honestly, the game is pretty meh overall, though there are quite a few things that it has going for it.  I think its main perk is just how jaunty and upbeat everything feels, which is refreshing for the genre.  Jack is always wisecracking and bumbling around like a dummy, and I really found myself enjoying the story from such a dimwitted perspective.  Of course, it's been mentioned that the story eventually falls apart when "save the world mode" kicks in, and I couldn't agree more. That first half, though, with Ganz and all that, is really spectacular.

I also really dug the music (got a bunch of it on my iPod), and the graphics are some of the prettiest the PS2 has to offer. Great art direction, for sure.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 06:26:08 PM »

Some of the characters recruitments were a pain in the ass.  I don't know- to me this game wasn't worth the effort after.  I played it through to the end; I didn't mind it then...then I realised all that kinda lacked and it made for an unfullfilling experience
So, NONE of the optional characters added any side stories, or anything?
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:03:14 PM »

Ohh radiata stories, love this game, and took the non-human (went for the girl wohoO!) path, and im satisfied with the outcome, it seems is the most happy road, but! with less cooler characters, the last boss was freaking hard, i ended up beating him alone with just jack (everyone else were death) hitting it from behind xD fun times...

Anyway if i remember correctly, there is no extra stuff with the optional characters, just a story to get them or things like that, i DO know that yo get some characters is necessary to have some others related to them... not 100% sure, its been a while since i played

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:32:55 AM »

Anyway if i remember correctly, there is no extra stuff with the optional characters, just a story to get them or things like that, i DO know that yo get some characters is necessary to have some others related to them... not 100% sure, its been a while since i played
Okay. I just wanted to know if getting any of the optional characters opened up any side stories or side quests...but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Otherwise, I only have 2 gripes about the game:

1) Save Points are scarce; the only real save point in the game is at Jack's House, or wherever your headquarters are.

2) Needing an item (The Flee Ball) in order to escape from battle; having no choice but to get your ass kicked when you run out of those things is just stupid...

Honestly, the fact that all of the townspeople that you can fight, are stronger than ANY of the monsters outside of town, is DEFINITELY part of the humour of the game; it's kind of like, if THEY'RE so strong, why don't THEY go save the world?! Well, most of them ARE recruitable anyway...
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »

I enjoyed Radiata Stories and I really enjoyed fighting with the non-human side

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »

Some of the characters recruitments were a pain in the ass.  I don't know- to me this game wasn't worth the effort after.  I played it through to the end; I didn't mind it then...then I realised all that kinda lacked and it made for an unfullfilling experience
So, NONE of the optional characters added any side stories, or anything?

What you see is what you get.  Aside their blurb in the Friend Roster

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: