Author Topic: Suikoden Topic  (Read 156188 times)

Eusis

• View Profile
Re: Suikoden Topic
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2010, 01:56:59 AM »
I really need to play 3. >.< Fucking morons. Why did it get a N/A release but not a PAL one when every other entry in the series got one. Sheesh. Plus I'm dying to see the plot considering who the antagonist is.

Given how it may've been the most successful entry in the series, yeah, it's really kind of confounding.

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »

Never found out why it was canned for a PAL release...

Konami have never answered this. In fact, they have almost gone out of their way not to explain it! It may (possibly) have something to do German/French/Spanish localization but, really, god knows..

From suikox's FAQ with the Suiko team:

Question #12: Why was Suikoden III not released in Europe (PAL) and is there ever going to be a chance for European gamers to play the game?
Konami: Unfortunately the game can only work with NTSC so the probability of it releasing for PAL is very low.

Vextor:  That doesn't really answer the question of "why." Suikoden 1, 2, 4 and 5 were all released for PAL, so this answer makes no sense to anybody.  However, I do understand Konami doesn't plan to release Suikoden III in PAL regions, which is disappointing to say the least.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2010, 05:53:24 PM »
Nice response, that's more information than I had seen previously.

I love the way they respond with "the game can only work with NTSC"... 

I can't even think how that is possible - what, it just doesn't work?  Brilliant!  I have my US import now anyway.

Can I come round and play? :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2010, 06:39:49 PM »
Man, couldn't they have just said something vague like "evaluated it was a poor fit" or something? That kind of question dodge just makes you look like an idiot.

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2010, 07:22:04 AM »
There were a few FAQ's permitted from fansites around the time of Tierkreis' release - unfortunately half of the responses were either dodges, uninformative or just spun to promote Tieirkreis (which is kinda understandable). Shame really.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2010, 12:20:44 PM »
Can I come round and play? :P

Haha, sure.  Can you cook? =P

Hmmm. Good idea.

If you die of food poisoning I can just swipe the game.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2010, 09:34:10 AM »
out of curiosity why is suikoden 4 so disliked? suikoden 4 and tactics are the only ones i played to completion,and i would go so far as to call tactics better than any FFT or FE game i've played.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »
out of curiosity why is suikoden 4 so disliked? suikoden 4 and tactics are the only ones i played to completion,and i would go so far as to call tactics better than any FFT or FE game i've played.

I really liked Tactics. I did not like Suikoden 4 though, because I played it pretty soon after 2 and it felt like a big step backwards in characterization, plot, and gameplay.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2010, 11:12:12 AM »
maybe the reason i liked it is because 3 was my first and i have yet to play 1 or 2.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Does anybody know how rare/valuable Suikoden III is? Because I have a copy in my GS online cart for $12 (first time I've seen it for less than $30)...but I'm only supposed to use my debit card for emergencies. I'm just wondering if it would be possible for me to find it again for such a good price later next year?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2010, 07:44:16 AM »
Nice response, that's more information than I had seen previously.

I love the way they respond with "the game can only work with NTSC"... 

I can't even think how that is possible - what, it just doesn't work?  Brilliant!  I have my US import now anyway.

It's complete nonsense, considering that many PS2 games had an NTSC mode, and you'd be hard pressed to find a TV that doesn't support NTSC nowadays.

It's mostly the horrendously slow sailing speed combined with the very high encounter rate, it makes going anywhere in the game a chore.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
Does anybody know how rare/valuable Suikoden III is? Because I have a copy in my GS online cart for $12 (first time I've seen it for less than $30)...but I'm only supposed to use my debit card for emergencies. I'm just wondering if it would be possible for me to find it again for such a good price later next year?

Buy that shit, now!

I'll see if I can get it delivered to the GS in the Capital and pay in cash.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Gen Eric Gui

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »
It's mostly the horrendously slow sailing speed combined with the very high encounter rate, it makes going anywhere in the game a chore.

There's a reason Viki is available very early in the game.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »

There's a reason Viki is available very early in the game.

She doesn't matter, when the game wants you to go to an island for a story event, you have to sail there. The option for that island doesn't show up in Viki's list if you actually NEED to go there.

Gen Eric Gui

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2010, 05:06:42 PM »
Yeah, but almost every island has at least one teleport location that's very close by.  You never need to sail long distances unless you're going somewhere for the first time.