Author Topic: Suikoden Topic  (Read 150309 times)

Kstar

• Editor Emeritus
  • I Remember Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Suikoden Topic
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2011, 03:25:22 PM »
Is there anything particularly special about Suikoden V in comparison to PS2 SMT's, P4, or the Xenosaga series that would put it higher up on my PS2 list? Other than the 108 recruitable characters thing. I guess that's almost enough to put it well above Xenosaga...

All of those are great games, you really can't go wrong with any of those choices.  Suikoden V is one of my favorite games of all time, but it takes time before it gets going.  The first couple hours aren't all that interesting, but then the narrative really heats up.  If you're looking to be blindsided by surprising twists - go for Suikoden V.  If you want a really deep narrative, with some interesting characters and love your cutscenes - Xenosaga would be a good fit. I enjoyed P3 a lot more than P4 (even though P4 was better in terms of fixing all the gripes people had to P3's gameplay).  P4 is an equally intense game with a stellar story and characterization.   
"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2011, 03:27:47 PM »
Is there anything particularly special about Suikoden V in comparison to PS2 SMT's, P4, or the Xenosaga series that would put it higher up on my PS2 list? Other than the 108 recruitable characters thing. I guess that's almost enough to put it well above Xenosaga...

All of those are great games, you really can't go wrong with any of those choices.  Suikoden V is one of my favorite games of all time, but it takes time before it gets going.  The first couple hours aren't all that interesting, but then the narrative really heats up.  If you're looking to be blindsided by surprising twists - go for Suikoden V.  If you want a really deep narrative, with some interesting characters and love your cutscenes - Xenosaga would be a good fit. I enjoyed P3 a lot more than P4 (even though P4 was better in terms of fixing all the gripes people had to P3's gameplay).  P4 is an equally intense game with a stellar story and characterization.   

My friend has P3P. I planned to borrow that instead of buying P3FES. That's why P4 is on the list. I'll probably try Suikoden V. Maybe I'll try Tierkreitis (I have no idea how it's spelled) first. Is that a good place to start? I think I know someone who has it.
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.

Gen Eric Gui

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2011, 04:29:34 PM »
Tierkreis is nothing like the other Suikoden games.  It's still a great game, but it's not really indicative of the "Suikoden experience", if you will.  Play it if you have the chance, but don't think for a second that it replaces Suikoden 5 in the game lineup.

Personally, I never understood why people complained so much about S5's opening.  Maybe I'm just really tolerant of storyline set-ups, but all the early game exposition is absolutely required for the story to have the impact it has later on.  I also think that people tend to lump "Don't have a castle yet" with "Gameplay hasn't started yet" when it comes to Suikoden games, which isn't true at all.

The loading times are kind of a bummer though.

Suikoden Tactics is not worth playing if you haven't played Suikoden 4; and even then it's not really that great of a game.  You're better off spending your money on Suikoden 1 on PSN or something.

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »
GAH! They have no Suikoden Tierkreis... Apparently they were talking about Chrono Trigger (which they lost). I guess V will be my first foray into Suikoden territory. Will it serve as a good starting point?
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »
Yes, as long as you don't mind going backwards graphically (The stories are all pretty good though, regardless.)

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »
Suikoden Tactics is a nice looking game, great soundtrack, really good cast of characters.  The story isn't that bad.  I remember buying this in November of 2005 and on the back of the manual, it showed the preview for Suikoden IV and it was only a few months away from release.  It was a good time back then for me :)
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2011, 10:41:42 AM »
It's Suikoden.

Also, the story is very good - it just takes a while to get going.

And the music is excellent.

You'll also likely accumulate five gameplay hours to loading times

Only five?

Suikoden Tactics is a nice looking game, great soundtrack, really good cast of characters.  The story isn't that bad.  I remember buying this in November of 2005 and on the back of the manual, it showed the preview for Suikoden IV and it was only a few months away from release.  It was a good time back then for me :)

It came out after S IV didn't it? Unless you mean S V?
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
Yep, I totally wrote the wrong roman numeral,lol.  I meant V.  I was really tired when I wrote that :P
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2011, 10:11:21 AM »
5 is the second best game in the series for me, after the mighty S2. The slow start is part of it's brilliance, but probably also part of it's downfall, as I'd imagine there was a fair few 'casual' purchasers who never even made it as far as the Sacred games, which is where it starts to pick up.

It's probably the gaming equivalent to the Song of Ice and Fire books by George RR Martin in terms of story scope and depth.

The downside for me is that combat (like most Suiko's) is far too easy and doesn't really present a challenge. Maybe the designers thought it would get in the way of the story...

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2011, 02:37:44 PM »
It was non challenging for me.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing:

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2011, 03:34:56 PM »
Suiko V was great. And it came at a time of absolute emptiness in jRPGs, a time where I was actually playing Star Ocean 3 because I didn't have anything else to do, so it was a welcome addition. Everything fits. The loading times are attrocious though. Probably the worst loading I've ever seen. DQ8s are probably longer, but the areas are huge, so you won't be loading as much. Though DQ8 has that horrible loading between the menu screen, which was aweful. Unfortunately, SuikoV sees 10 seconds of loading, walking five feet, and loading for another 10 seconds. It's the worst when your at your home castle because they designed the damned thing so you're walking in and outside all the time to get anywhere, so you have to load the outside scenery about 3 times to get where you need to go! It's a huge design flaw, but one that can be overcome with pensive meditation and/or medication.

Aside from that, the game is amazing. Great characters, phenominal cultural/political design, great story, and solid gameplay. I don't recall the music being particularly special, however the home base music is pretty good, and there are 3 different arrangements for it as the castle grows throughout the game, which was neat.

One word of warning: PLAY IT WITH A GUIDE to get all 108 stars. The 108 star ending is the ONLY good ending. Many of the stars are missable, in fact, many of them are almost impossible to find without a guide, or require doing exactly the right thing at the right time. This was another gripe.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
One of the stars was fucking INVISIBLE.

Not like he was hiding behind a tree or something, no, he was invisible.

Kstar

• Editor Emeritus
  • I Remember Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
For Suikoden V, I suggest using a guide while you play.  I actually did and was able to get all the stars, but I was still a nervous wreck even following the guide that I'd lose one of the stars in battle or something.  Luckily, that didn't happen.  I highly recommend using this site: http://www.suikosource.com/games/sod.php?pf=S5.  They even have a walkthrough that will tell you where you need to pick up the stars.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:15:24 PM by Kstar »
"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »
I +1 that guide Kstar posted. It's the one I used when I played, it lets you avoid almost all spoilers if you are very careful about it.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
For Suikoden V, I suggest using a guide while you play.  I actually did and was able to get all the stars, but I was still a nervous wreck even following the guide that I'd lose one of stars in battle or something.  Luckily, that didn't happen.  I highly recommend using this site: http://www.suikosource.com/games/sod.php?pf=S5.  They even have a walkthrough that will tell you where you need to pick up the stars.

Nice site, it's showing me I missed about 5 or so stars already in my Suikoden 2 game...
-_-#