Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 02:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327544 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden Topic  (Read 55525 times)
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 07:55:04 PM »

While I admit I'm not as big of a fan of Suikoden as other people are, I generally enjoyed all of the games. I'd say my favorite one is 5, followed by 2. They were pretty awesome.

It'd be cool if I could get my hands on those Suikogaiden VNs. I'd like to try them out. :P

EDIT:
What do you like/dislike the most about the series?
I wouldn't know what to say about what I dislike about the series, since I never really thought about it, but one thing I did like was the RPS type duels. Those were always fun. Also, I like the the series has no shortage of hot women to put in my party. :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:00:56 PM by Dizzy » Logged

Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »

I've played them all. My hype for new Suikoden games rivals any other series. Not that I consider Suikoden consistently great because I find some of them outright sucks, but when the developers get it right (namely 2 & 5), they are amazing.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »

Meh. I don't need to.

Only if you want to rise above the scum of the internet!

Anyways, I haven't thoroughly read this yet, but it seems relevant due to timing: A Suikoden V versus Tierkreis article.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »

Dammit, now I want to play Suikoden 5 again.  Prince Frejadour is so cool~~~
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 12:24:27 AM »

Play it without Weapon Upgrades, or only upgrade weapons up to the maximum limit that normal NPC shops can go to. Keeps you from getting all Godlike.

Also have some limitations in terms of magic. They balanced the game terribly.

Summoner Yuna

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 12:48:55 PM »

I just got Suikoden V in the mail! The premise of the story, although it's yet again political strife (like all Suikodens), seems particularly compelling this time around, just like Suikoden II and III. The characters are quite likeable, and I like how they're exploring more character interaction (like family relationships, especially). It gives the characters way more depth than usual for an RPG, even if some of them still fall into some stereotypes common to the genre. However, I can't help but think that it is a little jarring that the prince doesn't talk at all while everyone else is given spoken dialogue, this sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm getting used to it but it feels a little retro, when in Suikoden III all three main characters had direct interaction with other characters, not only through short phrases that you choose on their behalf.

The gameplay is classic Suikoden and I'm curious to see how the formations aspect affects gameplay later on, such as boss fights.

Sadly, I won't be able to advance very much in the game this week because I have a lot of homework to do for college. :(

Pesmerga

for-shizzle-nizzle@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »

ahhh damn im probly one of the biggest fans out there for this series. and im going to say this. Suikoden Tierkreis killed my hope for me ever thinking that there could be another goood suikoden game made. it felt like it was made for a five year old child. the plot was HORRIBLE. honesly i am bowing my head in shame right now for actually buying this game and supporting the idiots who made this. and for anyone who thinks that this game is more close to the series then the first three? are u kidding me? what planet are u from? what suikoden games have u been playing. heres what i did with my copy of tierkreis.. lmao im not kidding i didnt bring it back and get credit i put it into my garbage, where it belongs. love suikoden but damn.. ive givin up hope for another Murayama masterpiece.
MereMare

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 04:26:00 AM »

I'm really not sure if I should play Suikoden Tactics and Suikoden Tierkreis.

Absolutely yes, if you're a fan of strategy rpgs.

Despite only having played III, IV, V, Tactics and Tierkreis, I'd say III is the best. A non-silent protagonist, gameplay from five different perspectives.

OBJECTION!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 08:45:16 AM »

ahhh damn im probly one of the biggest fans out there for this series. and im going to say this. Suikoden Tierkreis killed my hope for me ever thinking that there could be another goood suikoden game made. it felt like it was made for a five year old child. the plot was HORRIBLE. honesly i am bowing my head in shame right now for actually buying this game and supporting the idiots who made this. and for anyone who thinks that this game is more close to the series then the first three? are u kidding me? what planet are u from? what suikoden games have u been playing. heres what i did with my copy of tierkreis.. lmao im not kidding i didnt bring it back and get credit i put it into my garbage, where it belongs. love suikoden but damn.. ive givin up hope for another Murayama masterpiece.

Suikoden Tierkreis' story is much closer to the actual legend the series references then any of the games made after Suikoden 1.

I'm sorry the game wasn't your cup of tea, but it was an amazing game.  It wasn't the best game in the series, but it was not "made for a 5 year old", and the plot wasn't any worse then the plot of the original game.  It sounds to me like you're just overreacting like Lard because they changed a handful of things in the gameplay and story.

And Murayama didn't work on the game.  I don't really understand why "OH MY GOD I DIDN'T LIKE THIS ONE GAME THAT HE DIDN'T WORK ON" means he's never going to come back and make a game you'll like again.  I didn't like FF12, but that hardly means that I think Sakaguchi is never going to make a good game again.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:27:26 AM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »

You are sadly mistaken.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »

That article might as well have been a general review of Tierkreis, because he doesn't really go into detail of the comparison between the two so much as just point out what differences Tierkreis had from the other games of the series.

Also, I personally found Tierkreis decidedly average. I was not impressed with the story or the gameplay. I'd replay 1, 2, 3, and 5 anyday before I'd replay Tierkreis.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 03:51:37 PM »

I'm sorry the game wasn't your cup of tea, but it was an amazing game.  It wasn't the best game in the series, but it was not "made for a 5 year old", and the plot wasn't any worse then the plot of the original game.  It sounds to me like you're just overreacting like Lard because they changed a handful of things in the gameplay and story.

No, you're asserting your opinion as fact, again. That doesn't make it right.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pesmerga

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »

Im a fan of innovation with games .. when its done right.. S.T. just departed to far, changing too much. its not even set in the same suikoden universe as all the other previous games. I just think if your going to spend all this time and money into making another suikoden game, stay true to the time-line of the series. i want to see some shit going down in harmonia. like damn. i dont want another friggin prequil. Murayama hasnt been on staff at konami since halfway through the completion of S3 its very doubtful hes going to comeback. and to me thats probably the only way the series would become what it once was again, thats all im saying. im not trying to offend anyone. :P
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »

its not even set in the same suikoden universe as all the other previous games.

That's actually arguable.  Suikoden 1 confirmed the existence of multiple planes, wherein the Dragons, Monsters, and Gate Runes were pulled from.  It is easily within the realm of imagining to say that the Tierkreis world was one of those many.

But even still, even if it's not the same world, the game has the same spirit as the older games.  As I've stated previously, it matches more closely to the original "The Water Margin" story that the series is based on then any of the 'standard' games.  The only one that really comes close is S1.

Also also, Tierkreis was confirmed to be a side-story, and is not connected to the main numbered games at all.  So I really fail to see why there is so much concern over this.  The game did well, Konami has given no indication that they plan to stop the main series indefinitely, and Kurayama has a job offer that's probably from Konami.  All the doom and gloom in the face of all this is kinda of depressing.  If you want to complain about a series that is being pushed to failure, let's all talk about Breath of Fire.

@Lard: And you're spewing opinions formed about the game without ever even having played the thing.  I really don't think you have any place to talk whatsoever.
Pesmerga

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 06:00:38 PM »

yes. true. i dont really care to much about the games story being close to the original water margin story. i like more what derived from that basic idea and got turned into somthing great.all the first three completely tie together and thats one of the reasons why i loved it. like ive been waiting since S3 to play the events that come after the grassland wars. no more prequils no more side stories. enough is enough alreay its been like 10 friggin years. and even if the day was to come that my wish came true i wonder if the wait will even be worth it.

but back to what i was saying thats what bothered me about S.T. the fact that it DIDNT tie together with everyhing  in the previous Suiko games. that and i just thought it was crap :P following S5, i duno deffenatly was probly a hard thing todo but meh.

yeaa. that job offer wasnt from konami...  </3 it was for him todo umm music for some klind of interactive encyclopeidia.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: