Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 08:34:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330119 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden Topic  (Read 57165 times)
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2010, 01:13:28 AM »

My problem when i played III was the pacing. To me, it felt like the intros felt way longer than the actual main portion of the story when everyone unites. With IV, yeah, it is shallow, but it was not a bad game at all. Easy to get to in some ways the very least.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 01:41:10 AM »

My problem when i played III was the pacing. To me, it felt like the intros felt way longer than the actual main portion of the story when everyone unites. With IV, yeah, it is shallow, but it was not a bad game at all. Easy to get to in some ways the very least.

They all had pacing issues in a lengthy starting.
Suikoden V's drags on a good 5 hours!
The second one has you stashing boxes.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2010, 02:33:16 AM »

Suikoden III was for me a LOT better after the first playthrough. Not like the story was impossible to follow first time through, but everything just clicks when you're playing again and know everyone and their perspective. I don't know if I can really recommend the game to a new player and say 'Play it twice and you'll love it!', but I can recommend people who played it and found it to be 'eh' to give it another go.
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2010, 04:26:10 AM »

The 108 characters thing is either 'your bag' or not. It's very much a Pokemon "gotta catch em all" factor.

The thing is, you don't have to use them and the collection of the characters acts as a secondary level of difficulty if you complete it without the full set - I'd strongly recommend playing S2 without a guide on your first run to see how many you can get, and then doing it again with a guide. I'd say it's almost impossible to collect all 108 in S5 without a guide as the windows for recruitment and pre-conditions are insanely tough compared to previous versions.

In terms of being 'generic' - there are many elements that are fairly generic but it just doesn't feel like it. The Suikoden series stands out from it's contemporaries because of the incredibly powerful stories, fantastic music (S2 final battle with Neclord ftw) and some of it's unique factors - such as the HQ that grows with you during the game. The only thing I'd genuinely change about the game is making the battles tougher as it's more than possible to beat most of the games in the series without getting 'wiped' once.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2010, 12:06:06 PM »

Honestly what hooks me to this series is finding all the characters and watching your castle grow. I could care less about the story. The battle system is boring and extremely easy. In Suikoden V, I just spammed Auto-Attack/Battle and coasted through the entire game.

However, once you get your castle and start recruiting people, the game gets all kinds of fun!

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2010, 12:33:01 PM »

The point of the battle system is that it removes boring combat from the game by making combat quick and painless.  This solves several level-grinding issues and makes it easier to get back to the exploring/recruiting parts of the game that are the real draw.  I'd hardly call the easy combat in Suikoden a negative.  At least several of the bosses are tough.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2010, 12:41:27 PM »

The point of the battle system is that it removes boring combat from the game by making combat quick and painless.  This solves several level-grinding issues and makes it easier to get back to the exploring/recruiting parts of the game that are the real draw.  I'd hardly call the easy combat in Suikoden a negative.  At least several of the bosses are tough.

Any difficulty spike, I found, was conquered by easy and quick levelling. In the end, the advantage comes from the better tier'd characters that exist (it's not a matter of function, some just suck more than others).

I'm surprised; I'd probably be angrier (ARR) with such simple gameplay mechanics except the game really carries itself well to pretty much all other departments.  Music and scenery (not so much graphics exactly) were a real highlight, taking you through quite a worldly experience of middle-aged earth.  I think thats one aspect I *love* about the series - you get a lot of culture from the places you see.  No wonder there's god knows how many arrange albums.

Hobbun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »

I am playing Suikoden III right now and am enjoying it. I have almost finished the first chapter for the characters (just have to finish Thomas Chpt 1).  Please tell me that the actual 'main' story is longer than all the beginning chapters of the game. Not that they are short by any means, but I just want one of those experiences where you just played a large part of the game, but now the 'real' story is just beginning. 

I hope it isn't the character chapters take up the meat of the game, and then chapter 4 and 5 are a lot shorter. That would be disappointing.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »

*Sigh* The more I see, the less interested I become, but at least the question no longer burns. Quick and simple combat isn't exactly my thing (in fact, it usually kills most games for me), and gameplay's always the most important part for me. I'll see if I can pick up some of them for cheap someday, but otherwise I'll just skip out on the series for now.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »

I was thinking about this earlier and there are a few things that I was impressed with back in 1997, when I first played Suikoden II:

- 3 different battle systems (standard turn-based, army battles and 1 vs. 1)
- 6 character turn-based battles
- 108 (mostly) playable characters
- The story is very powerful
- The music is beautiful
- And the visuals are clear, neat and well presented for a 2D RPG

I'm not trying to troll here or give anyone a reason to play Suikoden II by raging about these points - those are just a few of the things that really made the experience quiet unique for me back in the day (especially the top 3 points).

Does anyone feel the same way about some of the things I've mentioned here?

Suikoden II stands as one of my favorite RPG's. At the time, the story was, at least for me, very interesting and original. I don't remember any other games during that time that were similar to Suikoden II. Comparing Suikoden II to games that we currently have, then yes, there are going to be some similarities and that may cause Suikoden II to seem less than original. However, in my eyes, Suikoden II came first, others later.

The music is very memorable. It draws from different types of genres to make it unique. Just like Final Fantasy VI (our 3), the music can often wrap the person up in the experience.

The gameplay may seem simple and almost trivial but, as you progress in the game and get stronger, the "auto" part becomes necessary for lesser enemies. Also, the game did offer a rune that would allow weaker enemies to stay away from you. I like the fact that some battles are drawn out. I think that's the problem with some current games. I like quicker battles.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2010, 11:17:40 PM »

*Sigh* The more I see, the less interested I become, but at least the question no longer burns. Quick and simple combat isn't exactly my thing (in fact, it usually kills most games for me), and gameplay's always the most important part for me. I'll see if I can pick up some of them for cheap someday, but otherwise I'll just skip out on the series for now.

I couldn't agree more, especially with the ebay prices that stand.
HOWEVER.  Like you, I am a gameplay buff - story can usually fuck itself if it means killer game mechanics (you'll probably hear me touting tri-Ace for that reason).
I think this game is a notable exception, however.  I don't really want to get into details though, I'd be too afraid to know if it can stand the test of time, especially.
But no game's story had ever moved me and made me more eager to see what happens next.  Story wise, it is absolutely wonderful - this coming from a gameplay buff.
On the bright side,you also get SRPG elements. =D

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2010, 02:59:27 AM »

Then you are a fool.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2010, 06:10:24 AM »

Mickeymac: "I'm going to make an informed decision on whether or not to buy a product that can go as high as $200 based on information I can gather from those that own said product and my own knowledge of what I enjoy."

Lard: "YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT I LIKE YOU'RE A DUMBASS"
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2010, 07:05:05 AM »

An apt summary.

Hey Lard, maybe you should stop being a fucking douche whenever someone holds an opinion that differs from your own. Just a piece of advice to prevent bannings and restrictions.

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 10:56:32 AM by Leyviur » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »

Then you are a fool.

Knock it off, while it probably wouldn't hurt to give Suik1 a shot if he has a PS3/PSP the rest can be somewhat pricey at best. And if something doesn't interest in after significant research there's probably not much you can do to convince him otherwise, certainly not with insults.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: