Author Topic: Suikoden Topic

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Suikoden Topic
« Reply #285 on: September 22, 2011, 01:18:18 AM »
I'm still not seeing how having it take place in the old world, even with a new team working on it, really matters that much. Usually the problem with having inexperienced people working with a going series is inconsistency of character or core concepts- however, most of the continuity between Suikoden games is setting-wise, and even then there's almost never any overlap. When there is overlap, the amount of information that has already been provided is so scant, it would be almost no different from starting a new project altogether.

There's just something nice about having things added to an existing lore, like finding more of the 27 true runes (Which I serously doubt there's an official list for), or seeing lands only briefly mentioned in small bit parts of the world.

Really, the biggest risks you would run into is them screwing up the continuing stories of Vicki and Jeanne, which...well, feels more like a running joke than something to be taken seriously.

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2011, 01:22:07 AM »
I actually have to agree with Lard here.

One of the best things about the original Suikoden series was its focus on a consistent and continuous history of a constant world, showing only certain time periods of each country that made up the world. It was one of the main draws.

Think of it this way, if they made a Mass Effect game that took place in a completely new universe with new aliens, new species, and none of the previous characters, we'd all be pretty pissed off.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2011, 01:56:14 AM »
Think of it this way, if they made a Mass Effect game that took place in a completely new universe with new aliens, new species, and none of the previous characters, we'd all be pretty pissed off.

Actually, after the next game it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal. Suikoden II had hints of a larger plot and III SEEMED to really get into that, yet IV and V decided to go do something else, and then Tierkreis just went away entirely. ME3 would, presumably, wrap up the primary plot, and while it'd be a shame to just straight up reboot at least we wouldn't be left hanging.

Lucid

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 22, 2011, 02:19:07 AM »
I'm with Lard/Leyviur. I'd really rather them just drop the series if they're going to make more terrible like Tierkreis. It's essentially shallow re branding at this point.

As previously stated by others, The draw to Suikoden was that it emulated a historical perspective on a world that was developed further with each installment. The character count and castle building was an interesting facet as well, but I didn't see it as quite so integral to what defined the series as the fictional history and setting. I can't really think of any other series to accomplish this, and it's a shame that the brand name is all that's left with a few of the gameplay aspects(though even they are becoming diluted).

It's different but similar in a way to something like Breath of Fire, where the defining component was the Dragon based storyline. The shared world was nice and interesting but not quite as integral to the series definition as in Suikoden. If a new Breath of Fire came along and it was in a new world but retained the Dragon aspect, good. If it was Breath of Fire with a storyline featuring, I don't know, a main character who is a circus fire breather with no mention of Dragons, then it's just shallow brand manipulation.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:41:36 PM by Lucid »

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #289 on: September 22, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »
Unlike Lard and Lucid, I like Tierkreis. It was a decent outing and retained enough of the Suikoden feel to be enjoyable, plus with its story structure and lore, it'd be easy to bring it into the main universe.

Still, the topic of the 27 True Runes, how they form the world, and their interactions with each other and humankind was at the core of the series, as well as the struggle between the runes to maintain balance; each of the wars wasn't just a human conflict, it was of the runes, as well. Removing the runes in Tierkreis caused a major void to appear, because of how ingrained the runes are to the Suikoden world. Without it Tierkreis became a generic 'bad guy with evil religion' type of stories. Still good, but lacking in many ways.

Also, there are way too many unanswered questions at this point to just drop everything. Who is Hikussak? Viki/Jeane? Whatever happened with Yuber/Pesmerga? What about the Assassin's Guild? And the stuff about the Circle Rune and how it forces the Sindar to wander endlessly is interesting as well. Gurkh... I'm getting rather annoyed just thinking about it.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 22, 2011, 08:02:35 AM »
Actually, after the next game it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal. Suikoden II had hints of a larger plot and III SEEMED to really get into that, yet IV and V decided to go do something else, and then Tierkreis just went away entirely. ME3 would, presumably, wrap up the primary plot, and while it'd be a shame to just straight up reboot at least we wouldn't be left hanging.

It's just that we've been left hanging since S3, and there are a lot of mysteries left hanging.

If they had wrapped them up in S4/5 and then decided to do the Tierkreis saga, it wouldn't bug me as much.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »
Unless they brought back Yoshitaka Murayama, It would most likely be crap.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
Indiana Jones 4
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
Unless they brought back Yoshitaka Murayama, It would most likely be crap.

S5 wasn't crap, it just had terrible load times.

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #294 on: September 23, 2011, 08:42:06 AM »
I heard rumors that he was hired by "A certain company", hinting at his return to Konami and possibly working on a new entry to the Suikoden series but nothing has been announced.  Was this BS or what?
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2

KC_MCDOHL

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 25, 2011, 09:12:11 AM »
Great news about a new Suikoden, though. Although many fans, including myself, fear for the future of the franchise.

I think, what it boils down to, is that its a great sign that the Suikoden series is not dead. A couple of weeks ago, most fans where mourning the loss of the ''Suikoden team'', and then we get this new anouncement. I never once thought that the Suikoden team 'disbanded' announcemnt meant the death of Suikoden. I think most people where making a mountain out of a molehill, plus I had reason to think otherwise due to my correspondences with Konami and the Suikoden creative staff members.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is Konami are in no position to tackle a main series Suikoden at this present moment in time so the fact that they are 'saving it for a better day' shows they still have respect for the series. My only gripe is that, if they are making spin offs, why not set them in the main Suikoden world? I mean, the Suikoden geography is massive and probably couldnt be fully explored even with further main Suikoden installments. There are also an almost inifinte amount of side stories they could elaborate on, or create entirely new ones, without having to jump into the 'Million Worlds' concept to explore. With that said, give me duel battles, major wars and mini games in this new Suikoden and I'll probably be happy enough until Suikoden VI comes along ...providing the story is good, of course.

Teirkries, at the end of the day, was not originaly meant to be a Suikoden. From what I can gather, this new Suikoden perhaps was. So that, in itself, hints that this new Suikoden game should be a major imrpovement when comapred to Tierkries and should definantly have a more Suikoden feel for a start. Also, Konami are well aware of the fans reaction to Teirkries. There really is no excuse for Konami making this a bad game ...even if it is in the same vein as Teirkries.

Heres hoping.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:00:49 PM by KC_MCDOHL »

Akanbe-

• Meep
    • View Profile
    • RPGamer
« Reply #296 on: September 25, 2011, 01:17:21 PM »
Great news about a new Suikoden, though. Although many fans, including myself, fear for the future of the franchise.

I think, what it boils down to, is that its a great sign that the Suikoden series is not dead. A couple of weeks ago, most fans where mourning the loss of the ''Suikoden team'', and then we get this new anouncement. I never once thought that the Suikoden team 'disbanded' announcemnt meant the death of Suikoden. I think most people where making a mountain out of a molehill, plus I had reason to think otherwise due to my correspondences with Konami and the Suikoden creative staff members.

Yeah, I have a similar train of thought.  A new group of people could make a new Suikoden with the same world, timeline, etc and it could be good if done right.  The feel probably would be different due to a different team creating it, but if they took the time to research the history and do the thing properly, it could be pretty good.  Sadly, they probably wouldn't.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 25, 2011, 03:32:50 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure, look at what happened to Silent Hill after Team Silent was disbanded. What followed ware not terrible games, but they didn't come close to the original three.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #298 on: September 25, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »
Silent Hill 4 was really good.  The damn babies coming out of the wall in your room scared the hell outta me.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 25, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »

Anyway, the fact of the matter is Konami are in no position to tackle a main series Suikoden at this present moment in time so the fact that they are 'saving it for a better day' shows they still have respect for the series.

If they can't tackle a "main series" Suikoden, why make this one? That makes no sense.