Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 11:25:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319049 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden Topic  (Read 51825 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: October 20, 2011, 05:29:01 AM »

Yes, he left right before the release of III, but it's not like his presence is a requirement for them to make a good Suikoden game, people just want him back because that's assumedly why they never bothered touching Harmonia after III.

Given how little information it is, it's too early to judge the game of course, but to me it tells me that they don't seem to understand (or they don't care) what the fanbase of the series finds attractive about it when its this specific set of information they choose to release.
Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: October 20, 2011, 06:09:37 AM »

I have a question: Is true that during the development of Suikoden III the creator of the series (don't remember the name) left the project and the franchise entirely for some problems he had with Konami in those days?

That had long been a rumor, but it turns out he had planned from the start to go freelance after 10 years, according to an interview he did in 2009.

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11716
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: October 20, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »

Ah, Konami. They wish their JRPGs were like everybody elses....*sigh*

Almost a funny thing to say given the overall high acclaim the 2nd and 3rd title get...

I almost feel like there is a formula for a PERFECT rpg in the Suikoden universe and gameplay style -- but they're good at mucking it up, or at the very least, putting 70% into what they do than the full 100.

At least they aren't taking the Idea Factory/Compile Heart route of jamming as much moe as possible into a game.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: October 20, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »

Tierkreis was still a decent game despite all the changes and grumblings, so I'm just going to be happy that there's a new Suikoden game coming out.  Now I just need to hope we actually get it in English somewhere.
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: October 20, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »

Konami is bringing the Suikoden series back with a brand new game. Genso Suikoden: The Woven Web of a Century takes place in a world where a monster rises every one hundred years and destroys the world. A young lad, sent 100 years from the future by the mysterious Zephon, is given the task to defeat him.

Famitsu magazine revealed both of the heroís parents are deceased and he is a swordsman from the village of Terube. Jino, his hotheaded childhood friend made the journey through time too. When Myra, Jinoís older sister, isnít scolding him, sheís the groupís magician. Dukas is a loyal soldier and another one of the gameís main characters.

While Genso Suikoden: Woven Web of a Century is a single player game, Famitsu notes the title has unspecified wireless LAN features.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/19/every-hundred-years-a-monster-rends-the-world-in-psp-suikoden/

OK, That setting does sound pretty awful. Lets see how they go about presenting it. If executed well, even the most cliche setups can turn out well. Still, and I know Im repeating myself here, it does sound pretty awful...

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: October 20, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »

My eyes glazed over reading that. It sounds so, so, so very dull.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: October 20, 2011, 03:55:12 PM »

My eyes glazed over reading that. It sounds so, so, so very dull.

It sounds like that Cliched RPG we designed a few months ago.I call shenanigans.

Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: October 21, 2011, 05:02:13 AM »

Fingers crossed that there's actually some shades of grey to this story because 'kill evil monster' is proper rubbish.

Now, if there was a good reason why this creature is smashing up the world every 100 years (for some kind of ecosystem balance, or to stop a greater devestation happening) then great... but for now it's not looking good.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: October 21, 2011, 05:22:04 AM »

Really, I think it's already at somewhat of a disadvantage, because when you consider how the fantasy elements were used in other Suikoden games (Aside from Tierkreis), they were pretty much always driving forces for the actions of the human conflicts which took center stage, or they were simply used as tools. Here, the fantasy element is just a big bad guy and a ticking clock for the heroes to beat.

The less this creature has to do with the story, the better...but then if that was the case they wouldn't have it in there at all. Bleh.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: December 26, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »

Bamping this with some new footage featuring gameplay. http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/25/first-look-at-suikodens-new-battle-system/

Didn't show too much with the gameplay (not enough to determine how much of the old continuity's gameplay they're keeping). But what they did show though looked painfully anime (oh hey there generic regenerating space monsters, you look as boring to fight as you are fucking everywhere).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: December 26, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »

The premise seems interesting but it's just not Suikoden. It's pisses me off they're slapping the name onto this for a few extra sales.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: December 26, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »

It looks like a solid game but I have to agree that it looks very un-Suikoden. Tierkreis still had the elements of what made Suikoden good (well, mostly), but this whole "space monsters from the future" or whatever is not Suikoden at all.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: December 27, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »

It actually looks real promising to me :)

Suikoden has only failed in one respect for me, and that is simply that not every game could be Suikoden 1 or 2-hahhahaha

I love anime, I love Suikoden..... I imagine I'll probably be able to forgive em for a space-monster or two if the title is as solid as its predecessors, story and style departure aside.....

Truth is I like seeing new and innovative growth in franchises.... I personally believe Final Fantasy has left us all "afraid of what could happen next" with some of our favorite series.... well for me it was Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana and Breath of Fire that made me fearful for the "future" of my favorites...

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: December 27, 2011, 03:49:30 PM »

They replaced the epic orchestrated openings with jPop. They removed the "shades of grey" political story in a fantasy setting and slapped on a generic anime monster, and yet when I watched the trailer I actually caught myself thinking "maybe I should get a PSP". Just because it looks like a turn based jRPG with Suikoden elements...That's just sad and shows how much I miss the old style of jRPG games.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: December 28, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »

Losing my interest in this game quickly.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: