Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:05:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319155 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden Topic  (Read 51898 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: December 28, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »

It's Castlevania all over again.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: December 28, 2011, 06:34:05 PM »

Id be willing to give it a go, sadly we probably wont see it..so I suppose in the end it does not matter.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: December 28, 2011, 08:05:12 PM »

It's Castlevania all over again.

It's basically the opposite situation here, Dawn of Sorrow had an art style change, the story and tone were more or less left alone. Suikoden has always been high-quality anime art, which is kept intact here, but the setting and premise seems to be changing entirely. If you ask me, that's a lot worse of a change by comparison.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: December 28, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »

Changing the setting in of itself isn't all that bad if they truly wanted to reboot the series given all the plot holes and uncertain details surrounding elements like whatever happened to the Sovereign Rune that'll probably never be revisited. However, replacing the old setting with what amounts to an SRW level plot nevermind lacking the mash up of various series to back it up is retarded. To put it in the context of a different videogame series, we've gone from Mega Man X to Mega Man Battle Network.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: December 29, 2011, 09:04:54 AM »

The couple of seconds of battle shown actually looks OK. Unfortunately the rest looks about as far removed from traditional Suikoden as you could get. Suddenly I'm not that bothered if this gets a release outside of Japan.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 29, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »

The couple of seconds of battle shown actually looks OK. Unfortunately the rest looks about as far removed from traditional Suikoden as you could get. Suddenly I'm not that bothered if this gets a release outside of Japan.

Yeah, it's kind of frustrating to see new PSP releases that look appealing since it seems most of the time they're doomed to stay in Japan, more likely with a bigger publisher because they tend to not license out period, but this sounds like a departure from what made Suikoden special. Castlevania and Mega Man X may've been cited, but really this seems more like what happened with Bionic Commando. An interesting, unique platformer changed into a more generic third person shooter, whether or not you liked it it comes off as much less distinctive than the original game(s).
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: December 30, 2011, 01:03:28 PM »

The battle system looks good form the snippets they showed. As I said, I'm not really too happy about the setting or art style since its about as generic fantasy anime as it gets, but compared to the stuff I have to choose from at the moment, it still looks damn good to me.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: January 07, 2012, 02:35:48 AM »

As far as Suikoden style gameplay goes: the battle system seems to be slow like III and not fast like the other ones. For me, that was one of the trademarks of a Suikoden game.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: January 10, 2012, 07:20:26 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/10/suikoden-lets-players-customize-characters-with-jobs-and-sub-jobs/

Tri-Ace contribution spotted.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
hu-h

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: January 10, 2012, 08:26:31 AM »

The Master/apprentice feature sounds interesting.

I'm still a little unclear on this "will" part though. Is it going to be like action points, where this ability costs so much will?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: January 10, 2012, 11:25:21 AM »

The Master/apprentice feature sounds interesting.

I'm still a little unclear on this "will" part though. Is it going to be like action points, where this ability costs so much will?

I have no idea unfortunately. It sounds like they're completely overhauling the entire gameplay of the original series to the point where the only thing similar is the fact that you can fight in parties of 6. I don't know whether the jobs thing is basically there to replace runes or not since I've heard nothing about there being anything rune-like in this setting thus far. The Master/apprentice thing sounds stupid though since it seems like they're mandating the use of characters from both time periods which means that they're probably going to try to focus heavily on the time travel aspects of the plot (and this almost always goes poorly due to the poorly understood nature of time travel shenanigans); that or this is fancy way of saying that half of your party at any given time will consist of plot important characters and the other three will be your choice or they'll consist of plot central characters and the remainders will be split between your choice and those currently relevant to the plot. The closest I can figure with the Will thing is that it'll be another arbitrary means for the game to mandate switching up characters by providing a set limit to the amount of time any given person can spend in the active party.

I could be wrong about most if not all of this but these are the impressions I've gotten about this thus far.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: January 18, 2012, 03:24:26 PM »

Interview with Miki Hagashino

http://squareenixmusic.com/features/interviews/mikihigashino.shtml

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: January 24, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »

Konamiís Next Suikoden Game Takes Place In The Multiverse, Has Multiple Endings

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/24/konamis-next-suikoden-game-takes-place-in-the-multiverse-has-multiple-endings/

Goddamn motherfucking christwhore.

I'd rather Konami let the series die than make shitty knockoff RPGs and slap the Suikoden name on them for a few extra dollars.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: January 24, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »

I'd rather Konami let the series die than make shitty knockoff RPGs and slap the Suikoden name on them for a few extra dollars.

Hey that's is what Konami has been good for in the last few years. Kinda late to complain about it now.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: January 24, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »

Konamiís Next Suikoden Game Takes Place In The Multiverse, Has Multiple Endings

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/24/konamis-next-suikoden-game-takes-place-in-the-multiverse-has-multiple-endings/

Goddamn motherfucking christwhore.

Eh. We can continue to pretend that Tierkreis doesn't exist when this one inevitably sucks ass and not be any worse for it. And actually they're doing us a favor by keeping it out of the main series. No need to recon here.

Also, calling it now; most of these endings are going to be variations of either a good end or a bad end where said variations depend on whom the main character ends up romancing at the end.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: