Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:39:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334650 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suikoden Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 Print
Author Topic: Suikoden Topic  (Read 59466 times)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: August 06, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »

I'm kind of curious why the selection of classic games on the PSN is so small. There must be some rather interesting reason for not shoving everything you can on there. After all, its potential revenue from reselling old games with, what I assume is, minimum effort.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: August 06, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »

I'm kind of curious why the selection of classic games on the PSN is so small. There must be some rather interesting reason for not shoving everything you can on there. After all, its potential revenue from reselling old games with, what I assume is, minimum effort.

I've always had a hunch that the ultimate plan was to hold off on select titles they knew were gonna be hits and make them exclusively available to the next gen consoles somehow whilst making all the previous titles still available as well. Always seemed like a solid strategy to make sure they get us for every dime we are worth..LoL.... ok... so that is more diabolical than funny.... but none-the-less I can totally see them doing that.. I mean, I imagine when the next gen consoles do become available, they are going to want to make it as advantageous to upgrade as possible.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: August 06, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »

I've always had a hunch that the ultimate plan was to hold off on select titles they knew were gonna be hits and make them exclusively available to the next gen consoles somehow whilst making all the previous titles still available as well. Always seemed like a solid strategy to make sure they get us for every dime we are worth..LoL.... ok... so that is more diabolical than funny.... but none-the-less I can totally see them doing that.. I mean, I imagine when the next gen consoles do become available, they are going to want to make it as advantageous to upgrade as possible.

While I can see what you're getting at, I don't think that's quite it. My guess is that its something fairly obvious, but elusive enough not to get noticed by someone that isn't in the industry. I'm also guessing that its probably something incredibly stupid from a consumer point of view.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: August 06, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »

While I can see what you're getting at, I don't think that's quite it. My guess is that its something fairly obvious, but elusive enough not to get noticed by someone that isn't in the industry. I'm also guessing that its probably something incredibly stupid from a consumer point of view.

They probably lost the license to a number of those old games. And then there's the probability that they don't want to bother resubmitting them to ratings boards for concerns of costs.

/theorycrafting

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: July 12, 2013, 07:58:18 PM »

So Kotaku had a Suikoden day on their site yesterday.

I was reading the topic on Gaf and this tweet came up.

https://twitter.com/Konami/status/355809401145266178

I seriously have my doubts that Konami will do anything, but the fact they responded at all gives me pause.

Even if it's just an HD collection of the old games, I'd be happy.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: July 12, 2013, 09:10:25 PM »

I'd love to see them remake Suikoden 2. That game was a buggy PoS.

Oh yeah, before I forget again, Suikogaiden volume 1 has been fan translated and volume 2 is supposedly on the way.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: July 13, 2013, 05:37:20 AM »

They best not waste their time bringing that PSP Suikoden over (Unless they mean the 1+2 game), because it was pretty awful.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: July 14, 2013, 12:23:39 AM »

They best not waste their time bringing that PSP Suikoden over (Unless they mean the 1+2 game), because it was pretty awful.

How was it awful?  Did it have bad loading?

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: July 14, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »

It had nothing to do with the rest of the franchise.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: July 14, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »

I think the main reason the Suikoden series went in the direction it went in with Tierkreis and Centennial Tapestry was largely because the creators flat out lost interest in the series that actually took place in the same universe and wanted to try something new. I know IV and Tactics get bad rap, but I personally felt Tierkreis to be the worse game. A shame, since Suikoden was one of few RPG series I actually played for the story.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:51:40 PM by Der Jermeister » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 14, 2013, 08:04:17 PM »

Their official reason was that they didn't want to alienate newer players as I recall.

And this is why for now Kiseki's the best shot at a Japanese RPG series that actually has world continuity. And one of the reasons it's frustrating that it's practically stuck in Japanese, even the best case scenarios entail either years of waiting or learning Japanese, and learning Japanese to a level to reasonably play the series is almost certainly the more expedient path.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: July 14, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »

It had nothing to do with the rest of the franchise.

Neither the PSP game nor Tierkries had anything to do with the series. They made a new RPG and slapped a couple of token gameplay elements and the Suikoden name on it for a bit of extra sales, which is frustrating.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: July 14, 2013, 08:44:45 PM »

^That's kinda what happened with Silent Hill.

And honestly, given how badly Konami handle their own stuff I wouldn't be terribly excited for Suikoden VI if they don't give the project to a competent studio.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: July 14, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »

^That's kinda what happened with Silent Hill.

You mean the Vita title?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: July 14, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »

You mean the Vita title?

The entire series more or less.

After SH3 much of the original team wasn't involved in any future projects and because of that Konami took charge of the franchise, which end up in them giving the IP to less than stellar studios and publishing a bunch of random horror games that didn't had anything to do with Silent Hill.

The case of Suikoden is a bit different since Konami has always been in charge of the series but I think that the problem is that they don't have a team of people that can go make a good RPG and I don't think Konami sees Suikoden like a profitable series anymore... even though they know there's still fans waiting for something. Anything.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: