Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341009 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Verifying Chrono Brake trademark in Japan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Verifying Chrono Brake trademark in Japan  (Read 7032 times)
ZeaLitY

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2006, 02:40:40 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2004/1030.html

This has been used to back up the idea that Chrono Brake is still registered in Japan. However, that article does not link to the actual trademark entry in the Japan Patent Office. I've spent some time searching for it on Japanese patent search engines, but can't find anything (even related to Square Enix). I'm apparently looking in the wrong places. Can anyone find the trademark entry for Chrono Brake so we can see if it is still registered? It needs to be cited on two Wikipedia articles.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 02:45:16 PM »

Of course it does not, because simply linking to it won't work. Otherwise I would have done it back then. I just checked the site. The trademark is still there. I'm not sure, whether the link does work, but the trademark is registered until 2012.

http://www2.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/beginner_tm/TM_DETAIL_FRAME.cgi?32&1&1151953098523866
ZeaLitY

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 03:22:15 PM »

Okay, thanks. To view it myself, I would input "クロノ・ブレイク" into one of their search engines at http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/homepg.ipdl ?

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 03:49:16 PM »

The katakana string doesn't work, try "Chronobrake" or just "brake". Then again there is nothing spectacular in that trademark that hasn't been reported on.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 05:28:17 PM »

I'd be upset if they gave up on the Chrono series, seeing as how it is widely loved....

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 05:40:46 PM »

But why waste time making games that are cherished by the few, when you can just pump more cash into the Final Fantasy machine and watch it mow down gamers, the media, and all of our money alike.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 06:18:33 PM »

Chrono Brake for PS3.....c'mon Square-Enix. I'm quite surprised they haven't been milking the Chrono series, as popular as Chrono Trigger was, and to some extent, even Chrono Cross.

If that trademark has an expiration date of 2012, it may be awhile until we see anything on that game.
Lost Fragment

polybius42
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 06:34:04 PM »

No more Chrono games plz. My childhood has been murdered enough as it is.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 06:34:17 PM »

Quote from: "Miho"
If that trademark has an expiration date of 2012, it may be awhile until we see anything on that game.

If we ever see anything on it for that matter as last I heard the Chrono team now works exclusively on MMO projects.
ZeaLitY

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 06:44:15 PM »

That takes care of that. Thanks.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 06:52:53 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
Quote from: "Miho"

If we ever see anything on it for that matter as last I heard the Chrono team now works exclusively on MMO projects.

True, but they could always be assigned back to single player games, if it's called for by the higher-ups.

Edit: Interestingly enough, check out what Wiki has to say about Chrono Brake. Keep in mind, that it's a shaky source, so it's not a confirmation, but user-submitted information.

Still.....the interesting part was this:

Hopes for a sequel have been recently raised as Masato Kato has returned to Square Enix to work on Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 4.[5] Additionally, in an interview at a Play! concert in May 2006, Yasunori Mitsuda stated an interest in composing for a new game in the series.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 04:45:04 AM »

So what? This news is old. Yasunori Matsuda has said time and again he would be willing to score a new Chrono game. And for Katou's return to Square Enix, he only worked as scenario writer for Seiken Densetsu DS and Seiken Densetsu 4. But it is not known, whether that was a freelance job (as with Baten Kaitos) or he has returned to Square Enix as a regular employee. The former sounds more plausible, though.

Also, as somebody has already correctly pointed out, Katou's former production team (the folks who did Xenogears and Chrono Cross) are working on Final Fantasy XI and the new untitled MMORPG for PlayStation 3 and PC. So who is going to develop that game? Internally, all the major production teams (which would have the necessary size to develop a Chrono game that deserves the name) have been confirmed to work on other stuff (with the possible exception of Matsuno's team, but that's a very unlikely choice, since after Final Fantasy XII those guys might do a new Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre or even Final Fantasy XIV).

Last but not least, people always see those 1.5 million units (Chrono Cross' sales in Japan and the US) and say (from today's perspective) that's a lot of copies. But for Square during the PlayStation years it wasn't. They expected a high-profile (non-Final Fantasy) game to sell about one million copies or more. Since the game was definitely costly to develop, so I suspect (given the company's high standards) Square back then was not too happy with game's performance. Keeping in mind that original RPGs these days won't even come close to sell as many copies in Japan as Brave Fencer Musashiden, Xenogears, Parasite Eve and Chrono Cross did, the more profitable and hence investor-friendly way of making money is to continue betting on the success of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts.
Radien

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 12:39:22 AM »

Hi there, I'm Radien, and this is my post. You may recognize me from public service videos such as "Building a Better Greased Chicken" or "Cybernetic Hamsters and You." Now please allow me to attempt to be intelligent....

Here's my politics-free opinion on the subject... and by "politics-free" I mean I'm judging the content of Square-owned franchises rather than looking at the individual project-leaders of the company:

The first Chrono Trigger game used spells and gameplay mechanics from the Final Fantasy series. I'm not sure what their motivation was for making the game (meaning, how it would fill the demand for a certain type of game), but perhaps they wanted to experiment with a "combo tech" system. (Gaining Akira Toriyama for character art probably had something to do with it, too, but who knows for sure?)

In any case, the thing about making a new game series is that it has to fill a niche` that competes with games made by other companies, but complements games made by the same company.  The reason Chrono Cross didn't sell well is probably because the gameplay mechanics were not well-received. A lot of folks complain that it didn't use the battle system from CT, but I'm willing to bet Square thought that Chrono Trigger's engine was too similar to Final Fantasy for it to hold its own as a separate series. In other words, "if it's so similar, why don't we just make another Final Fantasy game?" (yes, this sentence makes me twitch, too.)

But in making the series unique, Chrono Cross went too far, and changed too much. I LIKED the game, but even I have to agree that it is just too different. So where does that leave Square? Introducing another new, original engine for the series might just alienate CT players again, and fail to capture the ones who actually enjoyed CC (all twelve of us, apparently ;P ).

Now we go into the new generation of consoles... and Square has merged with Enix. They've put out their first MMORPG, and with the acquisition of Enix's properties, they now have a very wide variety of RPGs. DragonQuest is now their property.  Star Ocean was previously published by Enix for Tri-Ace; now it has Square-Enix's name on it (I'm not sure what the ownership is, but Square-Enix is undoubtedly getting money out of it). The same goes for Grandia 3, although I have NO idea of what kind of ownership Square-Enix holds there.

And then there's Kingdom Hearts... Square's new North American cash cow, with a multi-world theme that has some similarities to both the Chrono and Mana series.

So, even though RPGs may have lost some popularity, you've gotta admit, Square-Enix has covered their bases. They have a wide variety of game styles and not nearly as much overlap, if only because they have incorporated the successes of other companies. Chrono Cross' system isn't popular enough to resurrect in a new Chrono game, and Square doesn't need to branch out to a new major franchise, unlike Game Arts, who felt the need to bring Grandia to the forefront in order to show off its sophisticated battle system (something Lunar didn't have).

Sad fact: despite how much people love an RPG with a good story, good story can't sell a game before it comes out. Innovative gameplay and graphics can, because those virtues are easier to see in game demos at E3 and other exhibitions. I don't like it, but it's true. :( If Square makes another Chrono game, it will probably either be because of a new potential niche` it can fill, or because of immense demand from old school fans. I only hope that its next appearance is as a traditional RPG on a home console...

~Radien of Lunarnet.

No, not LunarNET... Lunarnet, the IRC network. We've been around even longer than LunarNET, we're just smaller.  There's an #RPGFan channel there. Check it out.

Point your IRC program here:

irc.lunarnet.org
port 6667
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 01:38:59 AM »

Well-put post, Radien, and welcome to the forum.

Well, judging from the title, Chrono Brake, I would assume the theme has to do with stopping time, and I can see that being a whole new, different, niche, doing exactly what you said, alienating its fan once again. However, I think it's a shame that people don't try out something new. Of course, I'll stop myself now, as I'm preaching to the choir.

And Professor Gast, I see what you mean. Gathering the original Chrono Trigger/Cross team together would be a difficult task--one may say, virtually impossible.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 01:41:00 AM »

For whatever it's worth, I think only a small part of the CT team worked on CC.

Radien makes a good point, and I guess that'll stop us from seeing a new one anytime soon short of tri-Ace and GameArts completely severing ties to SE, or at least tri-Ace.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: