Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:22:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332774 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Finally, a game worth dusting my Wii off for...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Finally, a game worth dusting my Wii off for...  (Read 3028 times)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:18:53 PM »

Red Steel 2... absolutely... fucking... awesome. The fact that there's a special edition with a Wii Motion Plus packed in for an extra $10 sealed the deal. My wife got me the first game last year and it was one of the worst games I've ever seen and played so I was very skeptical about the sequel, but after checking it out online and reading some reviews I picked it up and all I can say is... wow. I'd kill for a HD version for the PlayStation Move, but i'm not going to hold my breath. If there were more games like this for the Wii, it might give the PS3 and 360 a run for their money among the gaming enthusiasts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCE0pPnbINc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWutufIWx_4&feature=channel
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:21:40 PM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:26:51 AM »

I might check it out sometime, myself. The first one was average at best, but the second looks much better.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:32:02 AM »

I had really bad experiences with the first one, and I don't have motion plus, so I probably won't be playing this one.

I only really commented because I HATE the phrase "This game made me dust off my Wii!" because it's such horseshit.  There are so many awesome games for the Wii coming out that I fail to see how anyone could have time to play them all, and STILL we're getting this nonsense "Hurf Durf there's nothing to play on the Wii".  Horseshit.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »

It's easily arguably that games like No More Heroes 2 aren't bothering with either if you didn't like the first or if you had other games to play, and the similar goes for Fragile (I'm not even bothering with links there). It will, however, ring much more hollower over the next few months; if you're not at least somewhat interested in SMG2 or Metroid Other M yet are complaining about the lack of games to play, then I have to wonder why you even have a Wii.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:45:35 AM by Eusis » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:31:09 AM »

I had really bad experiences with the first one, and I don't have motion plus, so I probably won't be playing this one.

The game comes with the motion plus packaged with it. As per my original post, I have the first game too which was horrible, and RS2 is nothing like the first.

I only really commented because I HATE the phrase "This game made me dust off my Wii!" because it's such horseshit.  There are so many awesome games for the Wii coming out that I fail to see how anyone could have time to play them all, and STILL we're getting this nonsense "Hurf Durf there's nothing to play on the Wii".  Horseshit.

That sir, is your opinion. Outside of the games Eusis mentioned (a whopping TWO) there aren't alot of games on the Wii that appeal to me. Please realize that my statement is MY opinion, so respect it as such before declaring carte blanche that its horseshit. You obviously didn't take the time to even read what I wrote anyway.  I've owned a Wii since launch and my backlog of games on it is a handful compared to the literal pile I have for PS2, PS3 and 360 titles. So yes, RS2 is a game that is new (not on the horizon) that was worth me dusting off my Wii for.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »

I said the phrase was horseshit.  I don't recall saying anything about you or your opinion.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »

I hate to turn this into another anti-Wii thread, but I agree with Tenchis "dust off my Wii" statement. I've had for a few years now and NEVER play it, except for the occasional family Mario Kart match up.
I had high hopes for Fragile, but all the mediocre reviews turned me off.
I didn't play the first SMG, so I don't care much about the second.
I have high hopes for Other M, but am keeping them in check.
I still want to get the MP trilogy, but it's not a priority.
I may try out this Red Steel 2 some day, but not until it goes cheap.
There are very few games on the Wii that appeal to me, hence the dust. I hate having to wait for Nintendo to put out AAA titles.
Whatever. Back to kick ass stuff like ME2 and GoW III.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:26:08 AM »

I had high hopes for Fragile, but all the mediocre reviews turned me off.

Fragile is amazing.  The reviews giving it low scores are full of crap.  Too many people focused on the combat when the combat isn't the focus of the game, that would be like giving Mario Galaxy a low score because the second player controls were kinda crap.

And the fact that people -only- ever bring up the AAA games in these lists is another thing that annoys me.   A good portion of the games I've felt were the best on the Wii were -not- AAA games, and several that I'm excitedly looking forward to are very low-key, like Flip's Twisted World.  And the Wii is the only system that really gets this kind of flak.  Sony makes two or three games every couple of years and people laud them for their massive output, Nintendo puts out 5-6 core games PER YEAR and get called lazy.  The double standards are completely insane.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 12:11:33 PM »

Too many people focused on the combat when the combat isn't the focus of the game, that would be like giving Mario Galaxy a low score because the second player controls were kinda crap.

Except the combat actively gets in the way in Fragile according to reviews, and the same can't be said for SMG's two player support. I'll get the game eventually anyway, sure, but after Xenosaga 2 I know better than to play a game more for story/atmosphere when the gameplay is an active impediment.

Anyways, beyond whether or not there's games you even want to play on the Wii... "Dust off my Wii" is quickly becoming a worn out phrase. It's being said whenever any good Wii game comes out, so even if it's the first game you've played in years it's tiresome to hear.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:26:03 PM by Eusis » Logged
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:11:44 PM »

Yeah, the Wii is amazing.  The majority of PS3/360 games are very standard in my eyes.  I got Modern Warfare 2, so I'm done with FPSes for a few years.  There is much less genre pigeonholing on Wii... Fragile Dreams, No More Heroes 2, Shiren, Muramasa, Sakura Wars... it's more flavorful (or just more Japanesey).  Even Castlevania: Judgment is a decent Soul Calibur clone in my opinion.  I don't buy that many games for any console, but my Wii is still winning.

Am I the only one who thought Red Steel 1 was awesome?  The lack of multiplayer in the sequel was a huge turnoff for me, but I am still curious to play it.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 02:47:22 PM »

Eusis beat me to it. Unless the combat is unavoidable it is part of the game, and must be factored into any review/score. Clunky combat CAN ruin a game for some people.
I'm still intrigued by the game, and may pick it up if it ever goes cheap. Friggin' Wii games seem to take WAY longer to go down in price than 360/PS3 games, though. If ever. Case in point: Muramasa looks like fun, but I refuse to pay full price for it. Drop the price and I'll buy it.
Um...Fei? The majority of ANY systems games are mediocre or crap. The problem with the Wii is that some of us don't feel like wading through all the nonsense exercise/cooking/whatever games to find the rare gem. Heck, a lot of them I don't ever even hear about until they're already out and beyond.
Good Wii games exist. No one denies this. Good Wii games that appeal to ME are few and far between.
I watched my son play SMG. I LOVE the engine that game uses, but Mario just doesn't appeal to me. Someone should use that games engine to make a cool action/adventure game with a bit more mature subject matter. I'm not saying everything has to be blood and gore. I'd just like something that doesn't have me flying around in a bee costume or talking to penguins.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 04:32:21 PM »

I wouldn't call the combat I've seen in Fragile to be clunky, but minimalistic.  They included it but pretty obviously tried to downplay it a lot.  You can also avoid it completely 99% of the time; I have yet to run into an encounter I couldn't just run right past.  If you've ever played a Survival/Horror game and liked it, you'll enjoy Fragile.

As for the SMG thing, check out Flip's Twisted World.  I can't really understand why playing a game with things like that should bother you in any way, but from what I've seen of Twisted World it's got a lot less of it then Mario does.

And what's wrong with Penguins?  Penguins are AWESOME.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:13:02 AM »

I liked Fragile, but I honestly would have liked it a LOT more if it didn't have the pitifully terrible combat. I actually stopped playing it because of the combat, may go back in a while, when I've forgotten about the horrible combat.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with Stephen. I thought this was another "pass" game then I played it at my friend's place and suddenly it was a must have. I also have four Wiimotes and four Motion Pluses, so no worries there....

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »

I actually ordered Fragile, so we'll see how it goes. I was really interested in it when they announced it in Japan, but I had been so out of touch with alot of the more obscure Wii titles that I overlooked it. I did get a hold of the Monster Hunter Tri demo... and hot damn if that's not a sweet looking title. I haven't done any online multiplayer on the Wii yet, so i'm curious to see how it pans out, but I think i'm going to get it just off my impressions of the demo. I really wish Nintendo gave us at least a 720p option on the Wii - playing it on my 32" in the office is decent, but when I put it on the 63" in the livingroom, it hurts my eyes ><
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »

I've been on the fence about Fragile and Red Steel 2, but both sound good in some respects.  My lastest Wii game has been Shiren the Wanderer, which I thought was fantastic.  I don't care much about graphics, but I'm impressed when they're good. The mechanics of the games is what draws me in.   
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: