Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 01:49:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335185 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  LocoRoco to include Racist Elements?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: LocoRoco to include Racist Elements?  (Read 3395 times)
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2006, 03:06:37 PM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65860

May be it's just me, but I don't get how people even manage to come up with these kind of thoughts. I'm the last person to suggest there is no racism in Japan, but don't you think it's a bit farfetched to demand that Sony Computer Entertainment changes the color of those enemies? After all black has always been a typical villain's color. Now if they color them pink, will the gay community complain or what? What are your thoughts?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 03:19:33 PM »

I dunno. Minor changes wouldn't bug me; they could easily turn the lips black too and have remain essentially the same. But there's things they think is fine that isn't over here, and there's similar here that isn't fine over there. As long as they don't do some stupid change (what happened with Oilman in Megaman: Powered Up is fine), then I don't mind.

Also, this blog post by Jeremy Parish makes for an interesting read on the subject.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 03:22:41 PM »

Funny, I remember a similar controversy occuring over another Japanese game...

Oh right, it was Jynx from Pokemon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jynx_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29

Still, I didn't even know about this Blackface moniker until I heard about the controversy behind Jynx, which tells me that people are freaking out too much. Maybe I'm just uninformed, but I think the younger generations don't know what the hell Blackface even is, so it shouldn't even be a problem unless the parents bring it up, which would make the child more aware of it. This might actually be worse than just not knowing at all, in which case they would not know the idea of racism to begin with.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 03:29:12 PM »

Heard about this on 1UP's podcast the other day, and I find the whole thing increadibly silly. Really, people like this go out of their way to find "racism" in everything, and it's doing them more harm than good. We had a similarish incident in Sweden last summer, when the country's biggest producer of icecream began selling a new product called Nogger Black. It was a black-colored nougat-covered icecream, hence the name. Most people didn't find anything wrong with the name, but there were a few loudmouths who managed to get a lot of publicity by being "outraged" by the name wich, they argued, was just a letter away from being GENIAL MEMBER OF ETHNIC GROUPS THAT ORIGINATE IN THE AFRICAN CONTINENT OR CLOSEBY THEREIN Black!

And really, the people who were offended weren't even black!  They were pasty-white, blond-haired and blue-eyed Swedes who were so full of their own importance and desperate search for political correctness, that they chose to take it on themselves to speak for immigrants who might get upset by the not-in-any-way-upsetting name.

This Loco Roco deal reeks of the same thing. People are so desperate to make sure that everyone is happy and unoffended  all the time, that they fail to see that the only ones who are reading anything racist into these words/enemies/whatever are themselves. There are no ulterior motives and no black people-hating icecream companies or racist game developers. Only people with too much imagination and free time.

And by constantly pointing out things that are "racist", they just make matters worse. How are we, as humans, going to be able to live together and in harmony if there are some idiots indirectly pointing out the differences between us by being outraged by bullshit like this?

Meh. I guess I went on a rant. I just really hate this kind of moral panic and über-political correctness.

In conclusion: No, Loco Roco is in no way racist.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 04:14:51 PM »

Everything is racist or prejudicial to someone.  People just need to lighten up.

Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 04:35:17 PM »

On the other hand, I think people in general are a little apathetic towards racism these days.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 05:20:21 PM »

Well, to be honest, there is quite a difference between guys in white masks going out and beating black men to death compared to Jynx's lips.

And I mean, Mario has had goombas in the series since day one and I don't see any angry New Yorkers calling to arms over little mushroom men.  :P

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 06:35:38 PM »

This is all so ridiculous, that it's sad that people must bring up "potential" racism. If it was blatent racism, I could understand....but if there was NO intent to discriminate against race, then why bring it up? Seriously, I'd tell this Alejandro Quan-Madrid to go read a book, or take a fucking walk. Do something productive, than waste other people's time, by firing up a rant on something that is meaningless.

And when I look at those Mojas, I'm not thinking "what an outrage! Dipicting those creatures as black people!" It's simply nonsense.....damn.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 07:34:14 PM »

Even if it is a far-fetched referance to black people, I assure you the only black people who would care (or on that note, ANY race) are the angry soccer moms or somethin'.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 07:51:38 PM »

Niggas are black, crackers are white. Who cares what a pokemon or a video game enemy looks like.

How can we live in a society where sex is all over TV, death is all over our movies and swearing is laden in all our music and people make "controversy" over a pokemon having black skin.

Pussies.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 07:54:22 PM »

Quote from: "Dios GX"
Niggas are black, crackers are white. Who cares what a pokemon or a video game enemy looks like.

How can we live in a society where sex is all over TV, death is all over our movies and swearing is laden in all our music and people make "controversy" over a pokemon having black skin.

Pussies.

well said.
But I do remember laughing at a pokemon or two for being risquee... but that was a laugh, not an offence.  as someone above said, people gotta lighten up.

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 08:44:17 PM »

I'm gonna agree with J. Parish's opinion, it probably is the "picaninny" caricature, but it wasn't intended to be racist, but should it be changed? I see no harm done if it offends someone.  

for example there's a toothpaste that's been around since the 20's by Colgate called "Darkie" which shows a big smiling black man, its only sold in asia now, but in the 90's after constant pressure, they changed it to "Darlie" and made the mascot a little more racially sensitive.  But the chinese name of Darlie is literally "Black Man's Toothpaste".  If you guys don't beleive me check this pic.  but in asia they see this as a positive thing since black men have such nice teeth(the ones they see on TV that is). Now tell me isn't this the same?

http://val.kolpakov.com/toothpaste/Image002.jpg

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 08:48:26 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"
I'm gonna agree with J. Parish's opinion, it probably is the "picaninny" caricature, but it wasn't intended to be racist, but should it be changed? I see no harm done if it offends someone.  

for example there's a toothpaste that's been around since the 20's by Colgate called "Darkie" which shows a big smiling black man, it's only sold in asia now, but in the 90's after constant pressure, they changed it to "Darlie" and made the mascot a little more racially sensitive.  But the chinese name of Darlie is literally "Black Man's Toothpaste".  If you guys don't beleive me check this pic.  but in asia they see this as a positive thing since black men have such nice teeth(the ones they see on TV that is). Now tell me isn't this the same?

http://val.kolpakov.com/toothpaste/Image002.jpg

I always found dark skin when used in contrast with pearly-white teeth commercials worked better than lighter folks.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 11:05:49 PM »

I've used Darlie on my trips to Asian countries, and I can vouch that it literally means "Black Man Toothpaste" in Chinese as well. Never really thought anything of it, personally, until I saw it connected to this thread and what Logick mentioned.

I pretty much agree with Cauton here; A lot of these people seeking political correctness arn't even black. Sure, there's probably just as many black people out there that would be offended by this, but for the rest of the human race, we're trying to get rid of racism by not mentioning it at all- or at least, minimizing it. The problem is that once someone writes something in mass media that explains how it can be offensive, it becomes offensive to everyone. This is one of those problems where if you try to fix it, you end up screwing it up even more.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 05:53:29 AM »

I have to agree this is rather rediculous.  I think it was morgan freeman who said that in order to remove racism, we have to think it doesnt exist (Or something along that lines, I forget the exact wording).  While obviously you cant just make something disappear by not thinking about it, he has a point in that if you try and point out anything REMOTELY racist, your adding to the fact that racism is still a viable and "normal" part of our culture, and while im totally against racism, I think sometimes people see things that arnt always there.

Frankly, everyones always gonna be racist, and prejudice, but its never generated towards one race in particular.  How many "white" folk are insulted racially? How many asians? Latinos?  How many homosexuals, other sexual preferences are prejudiced (is that a word?) againts ya know?

I mean if its obvious racism, like "This is my slave, african mcblackblack, go out back and whip him for 40 gold cause he tried to learn to read" or something, then yeah, theres a need to stand up, but something like this, or the "pokemon" thing.  Its fucking rediculous.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: