Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 11:13:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319313 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 11535 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:58:46 PM »

Is everyone enjoying the new-new-new Doctor?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:55:12 AM »

It doesn't debut in the US until next Saturday. That being said...I got to watch it last Saturday since I was in the UK. I like the newest Doctor.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »

Me too. It's weird getting used to no Tennant, but I think this guy's doin' fine and has potential. The new Tardis and screwdriver are spiffy.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:36:07 AM »

I've been wanting to get into the whole Doctor Who thing for the longest time, but have never watched a single episode. Where should I start? I don't care about the really old stuff, but the new iterations look great. Can I jump on board with the new show, or should I watch the Eccleston/Tenant stuff first? Advice, please.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:01:19 PM »

The new series is as good a place as any.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:04:58 PM »

I've been wanting to get into the whole Doctor Who thing for the longest time, but have never watched a single episode. Where should I start? I don't care about the really old stuff, but the new iterations look great. Can I jump on board with the new show, or should I watch the Eccleston/Tenant stuff first? Advice, please.

I'd advise starting with Tennant even if only to see his last episode of the last season. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »

My suggestion would be either start at the First of the new seasons OR starting with this brand new season.

The reason I say that is because this season has had a lot more staff changes than just the replacement of head writer Russell T Davies with Steven Moffat (Who has written/is still writing the new series best episodes). The staff themselves even say amongst themselves that they are considering "Season One" or "Season Five".

Starting at the beginning has some really good episodes AND gets you to grips with the premise, recurring themes, and the Doctors relationship with his companions, Rose Tyler of the first and second season, or Amy Pond, of this season.

Personally I would start with Ecceleston and just continue on. I feel you will get more enjoyment out of it, as you will feel more connected with the characters, and will understand references to previous episodes. The quality is all top notch, so it's not like it starts bad and gets better, It is equally good throughout the series.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:59:03 PM »

I would start with either the newest one, or back at the beginning. You can't really just start with Tennant, even if he was my favorite.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 02:53:59 PM »

I'll probably go back and start with Eccleston, but the first disk is stuck on "long wait" on my BBonline Queue.
I DO think it would be better to have the history before watching the new stuff. I just know it will take me forEVER to watch all those episodes. At least there's only 13 per season, and not twenty something like American shows.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 05:01:24 PM »

Steven Moffat talks 'Doctor Who' and also a bit about an episode author Neil Gaimen (American Gods, Stardust, Coraline, The Sandman, etcetera etcetera) has written.

http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/b18791_exclusive_producer_steven_moffat_on_new.html

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 08:57:56 PM »

It doesn't debut in the US until next Saturday. That being said...I got to watch it last Saturday since I was in the UK. I like the newest Doctor.

Which channel and when?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »

Which channel and when?

BBC America and I believe 9 or 10.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 12:48:55 AM »

Which channel and when?

BBC America and I believe 9 or 10.

Well fuck. Looks like I'm going to have to wait for either CyPHy or PBS to pick it up then.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »

Tonights episode "The Time of Angels" was pretty epic. Completely loving the new episodes.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »

Yeah, I thought it was really well done. Excellent atmosphere.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: