Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 05:13:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329776 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 12259 times)
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 12:44:37 AM »

Saw the latest episode over the weekend (UK). It was pretty good.

Code:
Liked how he got rid of the Angels at the end. Also very glad that Amy decided to 'make a move' on the Doctor-- I was afraid they were going to drag her feelings and the imminent wedding issue for half the season or something. Hilarious reaction on the Doctor's side, though. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2010, 10:09:14 PM »

Tonight's was fucking great. No spoilers, just possibly my favourite of the series so far.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 07:25:32 AM »

I loved last nights as well.

I'm just dying to know -
Code:
What's the deal with the cracks. They have made it into every episode and I'm just dying to know what the cause is. Obviously it has something to do with Amy. Considering every time she is near some sort of scanner device it goes haywire.

The Confidential that was on at 7 was also interesting. Mostly it was about the plague and how the Venetians dealt with it.   

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2010, 07:19:37 AM »

Thought that Saturday's episode was fantastic. Very well done.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a223703/lady-gaga-to-star-in-doctor-who.html

Oh...kay?

It's doubtful Lady GaGa agreed to this. Though I muse admit it would be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 03:03:16 PM »

I really, REALLY

Code:
Hated this episode. It was really over-acted and some things just did not make sense. Example,

Why did the Doctor leave the Tardis
with an Earpeice on? Was he expecting the Tardis to be trapped in time and Amy to be stuck in it as well? Cause he seemed surprised when it happened.

If he wasn't expecting that, why on Earth was he wearing it? There is no one in the Tardis to communicate with if both Amy and himself are outside.

Also, the episode was really rushed and some things were just introduced making little to no sense. Hey, remember when Craig touched the deadly

space poison and the Doctor cured him with a cup of tea and he was perfectly fine after a couple of hours and it was never mentioned again?

Why doesn't the Doctor just headbutt everyone he meets? That way he never has to explain himself and get people in danger.

Why was there a 5 minute scene of the Doctor playing football? Oh yes, that is right. Shameless World Cup tie-in.

Shower scene...Really? Doctor Who is hardly watched for its sex-appeal is it?

I notice that my view on this episode is not widely felt as both my partners friends and my own friends loved the episode. Although I can't see why.

First Doctor Who episode I was glad when it was over.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 05:57:26 PM »

I really, REALLY Hated this episode.

Didn't *hate it*, but easily the weakest of the season so far.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »

I spose your right. I wrote that straight after the episode was finished - from which I was a bit raw.

Maybe I was just disappointed because previous episodes had been so satisfactory. Really didn't like it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »

I agree it was a weak episode, but It was still enjoyable.  This weeks however...HOLY SHIITE.  That is all I have to say.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 05:07:27 PM »

Heh, odd. All the things y'all cite as making The Lodger episode weak I thought were great character development points for this Doctor.

Basically this: The 11th Doctor has gone "native".

Compare to the previous Doctors. 9 pretty much had an axe to grind against any other species, especially the "stupid apes". 10 softened up near the end of his run but still had some pretty anti-social moments. Such as avoiding Christmas dinner in the season 3 Christmas special, amongst other little things (not to mention his huge "I am God!" moment in the Waters of Mars).

What The Lodger did was show to us something important about this Doctor: He's more "human" than his previous counterparts.

9 and 10 (except for maybe season 4) wouldn't have done frivolous things like play Soccer. And the earpod was a very good marker of this. Think back to season 2 with the introduction of the Cybermen, 10 comments of the earpods "You lot, you'd do anything for the latest upgrade!" And look what 11 is wearing...^_~ It even flashes the same way. XD

And the shower scene? Also character development. Apparently 11 was taking a very long time, which is a stereotype of someone a bit narcissistic. A character flaw which that scene helped drive home.

The tea I really can't comment on, but the headbutting...two things. 1. He was in a big rush, and 11 has proven to do some weird things the past Doctors haven't done before on nothing more than a whim. 2. He says he'll never do that again, something that I've only seen people see when they've just done something they knew would be painful/discomforting but did it anyway and greatly underestimated exactly "how" painful/discomforting it would be.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:11:21 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »

Fucking hell, that was great!

Very, very satisfying.

So,
Code:
the Doctor referred to something bringing the Tardis to a specific point in time and also the nether regions between universes...... Omega? Also, if the universe has been reset, does that mean Gallifrey is back?

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »

Probably most satisfying series finale that Doctor Who has had. No magic gloves or anything!

Code:
I have no idea if that means the Gallefrians are back, but the fact Earth isn't under a vicious alien rule kind of indicated that while the Doctor may not have been around before he got back, his actions weren't rendered invalid. I love the something old, something new, something borrowed something blue bit.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »

Id probably agree more with Starmongoose,
Code:
that everything ended up being the same..but knowing the show, maybe something important got bumped in just the slightest of ways that made something happen.

Still this was by FAR the best season of Dr Who ive seen, and by FAR my favorite doctor.  He is definitely more human, and I think it has made him all the more enjoyable.  I cannot wait for the next season (since I assume this was the season finale)

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 02:54:11 AM »

While I won't argue that it wasn't a fantastic season finale, I will argue that this was not the most satisfying finale. Mostly because I'm seeing the main difference between Daives Writing Style vs Moffat's Writing Style.

Daives gave use self contained seasons that had all the lingering major questions answered. Any important keywords that were dangled in front of our face were explained, all major plot points resolved, even if it was by pixie dust "I believe in Time Lords" at least it was a conclusion.

Moffat...for a most direction comparison...has been watching too many Saw movies. The Silence, why the Tardis exploded...so much build up that went unanswered during the season. It's a crap tactic that I got bored of long ago. :-/

I watched each season of Doctor Who (at least the new stuff) because I was impressed by the writing and loved the character, and wanted to see more of  the Doctor's adventures. Not because the production staff spent 13 episodes dangling a carrot in front of my nose only to say "come back next year if you wanna find out what we spent this whole season building up to".

Honestly for that fact alone I'm going to have to say out of the new stuff, this is the weakest season of  Doctor Who yet. Not for the episode writing (which I thought was great), not for the Doctor (whom I loved), but for that one craptastic tactic alone. XP

Here's to hoping that in season 6 Moffat cuts the Saw act out and starts treating the seasons like independent entities. 
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 06:59:36 AM »

While I won't argue that it wasn't a fantastic season finale, I will argue that this was not the most satisfying finale. Mostly because I'm seeing the main difference between Daives Writing Style vs Moffat's Writing Style.

Daives gave use self contained seasons that had all the lingering major questions answered. Any important keywords that were dangled in front of our face were explained, all major plot points resolved, even if it was by pixie dust "I believe in Time Lords" at least it was a conclusion.

Moffat...for a most direction comparison...has been watching too many Saw movies. The Silence, why the Tardis exploded...so much build up that went unanswered during the season. It's a crap tactic that I got bored of long ago. :-/

I watched each season of Doctor Who (at least the new stuff) because I was impressed by the writing and loved the character, and wanted to see more of  the Doctor's adventures. Not because the production staff spent 13 episodes dangling a carrot in front of my nose only to say "come back next year if you wanna find out what we spent this whole season building up to".

Honestly for that fact alone I'm going to have to say out of the new stuff, this is the weakest season of  Doctor Who yet. Not for the episode writing (which I thought was great), not for the Doctor (whom I loved), but for that one craptastic tactic alone. XP

Here's to hoping that in season 6 Moffat cuts the Saw act out and starts treating the seasons like independent entities. 

Saw? I don't know what you've been smoking but I don't see the comparison at all.

I like the fact that Moffat actually has a plan, rather than is pulling it out of his ass like RTD.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: