Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 02:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327559 Posts in 13411 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 12040 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2010, 02:14:09 PM »

While I won't argue that it wasn't a fantastic season finale, I will argue that this was not the most satisfying finale. Mostly because I'm seeing the main difference between Daives Writing Style vs Moffat's Writing Style.

Daives gave use self contained seasons that had all the lingering major questions answered. Any important keywords that were dangled in front of our face were explained, all major plot points resolved, even if it was by pixie dust "I believe in Time Lords" at least it was a conclusion.

Moffat...for a most direction comparison...has been watching too many Saw movies. The Silence, why the Tardis exploded...so much build up that went unanswered during the season. It's a crap tactic that I got bored of long ago. :-/

I watched each season of Doctor Who (at least the new stuff) because I was impressed by the writing and loved the character, and wanted to see more of  the Doctor's adventures. Not because the production staff spent 13 episodes dangling a carrot in front of my nose only to say "come back next year if you wanna find out what we spent this whole season building up to".

Honestly for that fact alone I'm going to have to say out of the new stuff, this is the weakest season of  Doctor Who yet. Not for the episode writing (which I thought was great), not for the Doctor (whom I loved), but for that one craptastic tactic alone. XP

Here's to hoping that in season 6 Moffat cuts the Saw act out and starts treating the seasons like independent entities.  

Saw? I don't know what you've been smoking but I don't see the comparison at all.

I like the fact that Moffat actually has a plan, rather than is pulling it out of his ass like RTD.

Simple, the Saw movie franchise is built on the whole tactic of "See this plot point? It's important, come back next year to find out why." The Silence is "what's in Jill's Box" in Saw V. The Tardis exploding is "the i dunno in the brown envelope at Doctor spoiler's office" in Saw VI (said example could be made with each movie past the first). That tactic is the main reason the Saw franchise has steadily lowered in the box office each year before it finally bottomed out at 6, it's a crap tactic that can ruin the taste of a good series.

Season 5 is using this tactic in spades with two such things in one go. :-/

I do like the season mind you, personally I think this one thing is a huge eyesore that Moffat is using shenanigans to try and get people back next season. He's a good writer, he doesn't have to lower himself to that level of cheap trickery.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:17:25 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »

Did it maybe ever occur to you that the Saw franchise went downhill because people simply weren't titillated by it anymore? Its weak story telling and convoluted plots and unrealistic villains and situations maybe, perhaps - I'm just saying, lead to its decline in popularity?

I would also like to point out that Russell T Davis doesn't always wrap up every plot point at the end of each series. The Face of Boe springs to mind, he was a subplot that spanned a couple of seasons. I don't think Moffat is using a cheap trick to make people tune in again, I think he is giving the Doctor an unknown enemy, something that can't be contained in just one season and might go beyond that. A large overarching plot is not uncommon in any form of good literature or media.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »

Point taken about the Face of Boe, however that really didn't feel like a huge plot point at the time as it wasn't shoved in our faces every episode. Not explaining the Silence or the Tardis exploding would be like not explaining "Bad Wolf", or "Torchwood", or "Mr. Saxon". Like those, these new things were practically in every episode. :-/ It just feels kinda like a hollow season to me now that I know they aren't even given basic explanations. It's basically like Season 5 was all filler with the "promise" that Season 6 will have the "real" plot.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:49:02 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 12:08:08 AM »

Not my favorite season, not my favorite doctor (and I have only really watched the new stuff), but certainly not a bad season or doctor.  I didn't feel like the Silence thing or the exploding Tardis thing were a horrible thing to do, OR like they were the central mystery of this season.  I thought it was obvious that the cracks were the central mystery.  The Silence and the exploding Tardis go together in my mind as "the next big thing."  I don't mind at all that they drew over into the next season.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2010, 01:14:43 PM »

My Saturdays feel so empty...
Ah well.

I gotta agree that Matt Smith is not my favourite Doctor. I'm still enamoured with David Tennants Doctor. But still a good Doctor, never been a bad Doctor so far.

Never really been a bad companion either. Though I gotta admit Martha was pretty dull to me, I wasn't to gone on her. A lot of people have issues with Donna, and Catherine Tate who plays her. I actually liked Donna, she was funny and wasn't in love with the Doctor. Win/Win

Rose, gotta love her. Did get a bit annoying sometimes, but overall, awesome character. Cept when they kept bringing her back for no reason.

I am enjoying Amy as well, and even the side-companion Rory. Much, more substance than say, Mickey. Who had a similar relationship with Rose that Rory has with Amy.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »

I must have been high when I wrote that comment above me.

Anyway, I loved tonights episode of Dr. Who. I don't wanna spoil too much, so I'll just say River Song = Better than Chuck Norris at this point for me

Also, amazing cliffhanger ending.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2011, 09:40:49 PM »

Saw and enjoyed today's episode. My opinion pretty much echoes that of Star's: River Song rules, loved the 'cliffhanger'. And there was a particular scene...

Code:
... when Amy is in the orphanage and she finds herself locked in that room where the counting marks keep appearing on her,

that scared me a little. Excellent atmosphere. :)

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »

Rose, gotta love her. Did get a bit annoying sometimes, but overall, awesome character. Cept when they kept bringing her back for no reason.

I am enjoying Amy as well, and even the side-companion Rory. Much, more substance than say, Mickey. Who had a similar relationship with Rose that Rory has with Amy.

Rose was an annoying, selfish twat. Mickey was a useless twat.

I really like the dynamic between the four of them.

If you've never read the old New Adventure novels, published by Virgin, go find them. They are very similar, tonally, to this season of Who.

I am really loving it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 12:26:40 AM »

Neil Gaiman wrote next weeks episode so that should be interesting.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2011, 01:58:33 AM »

Fucking hell, that was great.

Yusuf Mohammed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2011, 04:07:14 PM »

Is it anime Series?

I don't know it

If anyone can tell me its story

Dashquid
fatlossprofessional.co.uk
fatlossprofessional
mobilehelper
securetrip
whichpetcover
google
abc
facebook
craigslist
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:23:20 AM by Yusuf Mohammed » Logged

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »

Fucking hell, that was great.

Yes, it was! :D

Is it anime Series?

I don't know it

If anyone can tell me its story

Not it isn't an anime and here's the wikipedia page (just read the introduction and probably the short history section if you're interested):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_who

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2011, 10:30:41 PM »

Doctor Who will return in
Code:
Let's Kill Hitler

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2011, 03:22:26 AM »

Haha right Lard, especially after this episode.  I gotta admit I pretty much knew what was gonna happen in the very beginning once they reveal a certain tidbit..but still it was awesome to see.  Swear to god this show is the greatest there is.  I honestly never get emotional during any other show, but I do this one, constantly.  Its pure and utter magic, and im happy I discovered it.  Course I dont really care to see the episodes before they started the current version of it with eccleston, but thats cause old school effects just drive me nutters.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »

I'm a little sad that there won't be another episode until September but this was a pretty good place for the mid-season break.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: