Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 06:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338700 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite characters in these categories.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Favorite characters in these categories.  (Read 3844 times)
Summoner Yuna

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »

So RPGs (and games and books, for that matter) have character stereotypes that are easily recognizable, which is not a bad thing in itself if the character is good. So what are people's favorite characters in these categories from the RPGs?

Awesome magician- You know the type. They have awesome magic skills and kick more butt than the rest of your party but have a somewhat bitter personality. Mine are:  Lulu (Final Fantasy X), Luc (Suikoden I-III), Soren (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance)

The stoic, wise warrior: They don't say much, but when they talk you should usually listen to them. Mine are: Ziggy (Xenosaga I-III), Auron (Final Fantasy X), Geddoe (Suikoden III), Jacques (Suikoden III), Jin (Xenosaga II-III), Zihark (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance), Dinn (Suikoden V), Basch (Final Fantasy XII)

The villain: Vayne (Final fantasy XII), Wilhelm (Xenosaga series), Gizel Godwin (Suikoden V)

And finally, a very special category:

The comedy relief: Euram Barows (Suikoden V), Rikku (Final Fantasy X), Yuffie (Final Fantasy VII)

If you can think of other categories besides these, feel free to add them. I just added these categories becaus they are the ones to come to mind when I first think of RPGs.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »

Firstly, I do enjoy your topics.  They're fun; gives us a chance to geek out on stuff and converse.  

For "Awesome magician with an 'I'm better than you and I'll make damn well sure you realize that' attitude" I have to choose Rune from Phantasy Star 4.  Nash from Lunar comes to mind as well, but Nash is more-or-less an arrogantly precocious kid, whereas Rune is a world-weary badass.  

For stoic wise warrior, Auron and Kimahri come to mind, but when I think of a mentor warrior for whom the protagonist is under their wing/tutelage, I choose Alys Brangwin in Phantasy Star 4.  She's not a silent type by any means, but she has a stocism in her ultra-professional "all business" demeanor.  And when she talks, everyone'd do best to listen.  Alys rocks!

EDIT: For "wise warrior" would Detective Ryotaro Dojima from P4 count?  He is the Hierophant S-link after all and in P4, he and Nanako were easily my two favorite characters.

When it comes to RPG villains, that's an entire topic full of theses in and of itself.  Any specific criteria you want regarding villains?  

-If I had to choose a comical villain, Bandiger in Thousand Arms always made me laugh.  I found Ratchet in Thousand Arms eerily adorable as well and wish Meis could've dated her.  

-If I had to choose a villain that downright frightened me yet compelled me as well, Albedo in Xenosaga.  I know Xeno "villains" like Albedo and Krelian are not black and white, cut and dry bad guys.  They're multidimensional and complex characters, but since they antagonize the player party, I'll put them in the villains category.  

-The villain that pissed me off the most was easily Maggie in Persona.  Not only was she a frightening manifestation of a suicidal girl's negative/hateful side, but she did things like make my party traverse a maddeningly lengthy 12-floor dungeon twice in a row.  

For comic relief, I'd go with the entire cast of Thousand Arms, heroes and villains.  That game was easily the most laugh-out-loud funny JRPG I can recall playing, especially when Meis would flub on dates.  My favorite character in that game was Meis himself, who was very comical in his own right.  He had to be one of the horniest JRPG protagonists I can think of and unlike other JRPG womanizers (like Edgar or Irvine) who'd talk a big game, Meis was a playa who dated his party members and had girlfriends in various towns.  One of the funniest scenes he had was in the beginning of the game where
Code:
he was in some cougar's house, then her husband came back home and threw him out.
 And with villains, not just Bandiger, but main villains like Bolt, with his allergic reaction to big words, were hysterical.

EDIT: And for "user wildcard" category, I choose Nanako from P4 simply for being Nanako.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:50:45 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:39:19 PM »

Mages - not really too big on them in terms of personality or usage, but Geddoe from Suikoden III is as close to an exception as I get.

The stoic, wise warrior: Hmm, well, I guess Dak'kon from Planescape: Torment.  For the most part warriors in RPGs are dumb as bricks. :P

Villain:
Code:
Delita
from Final Fantasy Tactics is still probably as close to being my favorite stereotypical "villain" as any.  Other than that, I tend to only appreciate the sympathetic villains because most villains are either an afterthought or ridiculous in RPGs.  Now books, there I have quite a few more candidates.

Comedy Relief: Shadow Hearts series, especially the latter two.  Yeah, that isn't a character.  No, I don't care.  Very close second: Okage: Shadow King.  Yes, that's not a character either.  Stan's easily the comedic star of the game though.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »

For all of the first three, motherfucking Daisoujou from SMT: Nocturne.

For the last one, I don't know, I usually think comedic relief is really out of place in games. Maybe Shamino or Sparks from Ultima.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:57:19 PM »

Geddoe isn't exactly a mage though. He's more like a mercenary with leadership duties and a motherfucking nuke attached to his arm than anything. As for Nash, the dofus get pwned by a basket trap, nevermind bananas.

To contribute though I always have a soft spot for FE's myrmidons/swordmasters. But that's more of a class than type.

At least for comedy relief types Excellen of the SRW series would be my pick due to being able to be both goofy and badass at the same time (and doesn't wreck a heavy scene with her mere presence like Chuchu does in Xenogears).

For villains it depends. I very much like the BK from FEs IX&X not due to his character but entirely to the fact that he plays the Vader cliche up VERY well, and Caim of Drakengard due to the fact that he's psychotic mass murderer and enough of a badass to be able to kill Death.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »

Awesome Magician: kefka
Villain: Kefka
Comedy Relief: Kefka
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:13:58 AM »

Awesome magician- Jade Curtiss (Tales of the Abyss).  Witty son of a bitch; proving video game humour (rather, sarcasm) DOES exist in a non-geeky way.  He has a dark past, he's over the age of 20 (rare for JRPG...heh), and doesn't fuck around.  He's mature and a wise ass.  I respect that!

The stoic, wise warrior: Not really a fan of the stoics.  They're bland to me and come off too typical and one-breeded.  They're the "wise guys of few words".  Meh.  Whatever, I'm throwing this one...  Yuri Lowel (Tales of Vesp)l.  Maybe not a man of few words, but certainly wise ones.  He never preached and babbled about saving the world, he merely did what he thought was right.

The villain: Lavos (Chrono Trigger).  A being that is so evil and destructive and frightening... and so little to say about it.

The comedy relief: Vashyron (Resonance of Fate): "Daddy does NOT approve!".  Maybe its Nolan North's voice that makes anything smart-ass sound just heroic and awesome; but I like him.  He's a bit of a pervert, and a money-grubber, but definitely an unexpected hero, and quite funny.
 Honourable mention goes to the Supporting Cast of Disgaea, who's wit would always have me detour the castle.

.....though, Kefka certainly does clean up for the 1996 nominations. :P

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 01:22:19 AM »

Awesome Magician - Shurelia (Ar Tonelico), Millenia (Grandia 2)

Stoic/Wise - Going to have to second Yuri Lowell (ToV) and Ryotaro Doujima (P4), for the same reasons previously mentioned.

Villain - (Shadow Hearts 2)
Code:
Kato
Gizel Godwin (Suikoden 5)

Comic Relief - Meis Triumph (Thousand Arms), Joachim (Shadow Hearts 2), Vashyron (RoF)

Etc -
Child character - I don't normally like child characters, but I love Karol Capel (ToV) and Nanako Doujima (P4). I would love to have them as siblings. :P

Strong female - Aya Brea (PE). At least I found her to be strong anyways.

REAL man - Meis Triumph, 'cause I wanted a reason to put his name more than once. :P
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:30:14 AM by Dizzy » Logged

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 09:24:53 AM »

Geddoe isn't exactly a mage though. He's more like a mercenary with leadership duties and a motherfucking nuke attached to his arm than anything.

Of the three Heroes in Suikoden 3 he is most certainly the "Mage" of them, he gets the highest MAG stat and the highests number of casts, I think he's the only hero to get 2 Rank 4 casts by level 60 as well, which is actually better then several of the legit "Mage" type characters in the game like Alanis and Connie.  So I could see someone considering him a Mage in those terms.

Also: Best Villain is the Dark King from FF Mystic Quest.
KGB13

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »

Awesome magician: Vivi (Final Fantasy IX)

The stoic, wise warrior: Auron (Final Fantasy X)

The villain: Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia)

The comedy relief: Raven (Tales of Vesperia)

MyAnimeList
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:01:18 AM »

Awesome Magician: I honestly couldn't think of a mage I would consider awesome, I can think of lots of Characters with a high MAG stat that I really liked, but would I consider them mages? Not really. Closest I could think of that I liked was Lulu from FFX.
Stoic, Wise Warrior: Would have to agree and go with Auron (FFX), he's just great.
Villian: Takaya (Persona 3)
Comic Relief: Quina (FF9)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:22:31 PM »

Awesome magician: Raistlin from the Dragon Lance (D&D) books. Not in an RPG, you say? HO HO! I got you there, sir! There are not one, but *TWO* Dragon Lance RPGs for the NES. And they suck! But Raistlin is the man.

The stoic, wise warrior: Very recently? Subaru Kujo from Sakura Wars (V) ~So Long, My Love~ ... she's fairly stoic and wise.

The villain: I like "redeemed villains" the most. So for me it's a tie between Kuja of FFIX (seriously) and Albedo from Xenosaga series (yes, even more seriously).

The comic relief: I want to say something stupid like "the entire cast of Disgaea." but let's just narrow it down to "Prinny." Or, rather, "Prinnies." from Disgaea. And even more narrow, NISA's localization which includes all the "d00d!" talk. I can't get enough of that. It's the only thing that keeps me going in Cross Edge.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 07:40:43 AM »

Stoic wise warrior: Auron (FFX) and Citan (Xenogears)
Awesome mage: Vivi (FFIX)
Comic relief: Junpei (Persona 3) and pretty much the whole gang in Persona 4
Villain:
Code:
Adachi
(Persona 4)
Favorite female characters (why not?): Elly (xenogears), Yukari (Persona 3), Rise (Persona 4), Lightning (FFXIII)

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »

awesome magician-i typically dont care for mage types but....i guess Jade was pretty cool.

stoic wise warrior-there can be no doubt! Raquel Applegate wons that one for me hands down(she is from Wild Arms 4). its kinda funny how you put Zihark from fire emblem since when i played he was smited as soon as i got him by the black knight.

the villian-er i'm drawing a blank for his name ,but he is from super robot wars and he is Lune's father. i mainly liked him because i sorta sympathized with her cause.

comic relief-none other than Gig from soul nomad. that game in general gave me a lot of good laughs.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 07:38:02 PM »

Wha...Whaa....

How could no one mention:

Code:
Ghaleon yet!

He...sort of weirdly fits everything. He's an amazing villain, great comedy relief at being the hammiest villain ever ("It's my coming out party!"), a fantastic mage, and spends the first part of the game being the stoic hero (even though it's a horrible lie).

The world is his oyster, after all!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: