Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 05:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329705 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite characters in these categories.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Favorite characters in these categories.  (Read 3652 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 08:03:47 PM »

Awesome magician: Raistlin from the Dragon Lance (D&D) books. Not in an RPG, you say? HO HO! I got you there, sir! There are not one, but *TWO* Dragon Lance RPGs for the NES. And they suck! But Raistlin is the man.

He makes a cameo appearance in AD&D: The Dark Queen of Krynn on the PC.  Played the hell out of that game.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »

Dunno if he counts as stoic, but Mareg from Grandia II is freaking awesome.

That's all I got right now.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 08:31:17 PM »

mareg is the only character that i actually cared when they died.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 08:52:54 PM »

Considering that he's the only playable character that dies, then yes, he has a death that one can choose to care about.

Btw, it should be noted and logged that Auron is in fact, a jackass.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:54:56 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »

Auron is kind of a jackass, but not for the whole part. He is aggressive towards Tidus at the start of the game, more of because he views him as being weak and spoiled, but as the game goes on, and Tidus grows up some and stops being a whiny bitch (for the most part), Auron opens up and you see a softer side to him.

I enjoyed that in the game.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 04:23:47 PM »

My current av is my favorite stoic character from an RPG.

I guess, for awesome mage, I'd go with Vivi, but... not because of his mageness. Just for everything ELSE about his character. The problem I have with most mages in most RPGs is that they're either A) glass cannons. B) Just glass. It's even worse when they're not that useful even outside of battle. Mages and damsels in distress sort of correspond a lot.

Lucca has a good point, though. I think a lot of the most memorable mages are also villains just because the game can, you know, balance them to be completely vicious. Lunar in general actually proved to be much better than I remember, which is odd.

On the other hand, I still stand by my notion that the Fiends in Nocturne -- ESPECIALLY Daisoujou, but the main character also counts -- really work here. They're villains at one point during the game, they're by an large stoic, and they have pretty awesome magic abilities. The thing with Daisoujou in particular is his skills. They don't even look that impressive on paper and his stats aren't hugely great, but he can basically have infinite HP and MP if you play him right. And he can also cripple certain bosses pretty handily if you play him right as well.

In regards to CT and CC, I'm not really of the opinion that Lavos is so much the villain. Rather, I tend to think the REAL villain in those games is the inevitable forward march of time, and that Lavos and the Time Devourer are more symbols for that. And maybe I'm offbase here, but I also sort of think the Time Devourer's name also kind of works as a rather grim pun -- after all, what DOESN'T time eventually devour?

My problem with comedic relief -- and I think I mentioned it in my first, less than serious post -- is that it's often out of place. I think it works better when it either fits the characters, doesn't interrupt the mood of the game, or if there's some weird twist to it.

The humor -- when it didn't get pop-cultury -- worked in Lunar because it fit the characterization.

I think 90s adventures games are the most egregiously stuptarded examples of bad comedic relief in games. It's why I couldn't get into The Longest Journey*. I mean, yes, I know it's supposed to be a serious game but there's jokes were too frequent and too out of place. And they weren't even funny.

Unfunny out of place humor is worse than *anything*. Sierra was pretty stupid with this though I also remember finding the first broken sword game incredibly unfunny too. LucasArts, though. They actually seemed literate enough to do humor right. Or something. The Monkey Island games were hilarious. The Maniac Tentacle games were hilarious. The Dig was serious and didn't have any idiotic humor rammed into it for no apparent reason which was pretty nice.

Can't think of many RPGs with comedic relief I particularly remember. I'd say Chu-chu from XG but thta's more "emotionally distressing" than funny. Because it flipflops between cute mascot with a funny way of talking and crucifixion and chuchu orgies in Shevat.

Actually I liked the funny bits in LoM could they cause dipinto cutely disturbing pretty quickly. Without, you know, crucifixions or muppet orgies.

* Actually it was more the stupid puzzle design, which was a very obvious afterthought to the story.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:26:49 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 11:01:22 PM »

WHen I said Lavos; I just couldn't think of a villain I actually liked.

At least I didn't.  I remembered Kefka did scorch the world beautifully.  I like him!  Made me laugh!  Made me sad.  Made me....speculate (his wardrobe)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 11:52:22 PM »

Awesome magician - Yeah, I have to go for Vivi for this.

The stoic, wise warrior: George Prime - Suikoden, but Auron, Gadwin (Grandia) and Geddoe are good choices as well

The villain: I actually like Luc as a villain. Also, Roger Bacon in Shadow Hearts 1

And finally, a very special category:

The comedy relief:  Junpei and Yosuke from the Persona series

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »

Auron is kind of a jackass, but not for the whole part. He is aggressive towards Tidus at the start of the game, more of because he views him as being weak and spoiled, but as the game goes on, and Tidus grows up some and stops being a whiny bitch (for the most part), Auron opens up and you see a softer side to him.

Right. And he doesn't spend 90% of the game going I know something you don't know until the big reveal at the end where he goes "Oh, btw, that's what I knew that you didn't. Hope you enjoyed your tragic little death march."

Auron == Jackass.

Incidentally this thread makes for a very lame character as well.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

the villian-er i'm drawing a blank for his name ,but he is from super robot wars and he is Lune's father. i mainly liked him because i sorta sympathized with her cause.

Bian Zoldark isn't really a villain though.  I'd actually classify him as a "wise, stoic warrior" because of his role in the story.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 12:23:57 PM »

Right. And he doesn't spend 90% of the game going I know something you don't know until the big reveal at the end where he goes "Oh, btw, that's what I knew that you didn't. Hope you enjoyed your tragic little death march."

Auron == Jackass.

Incidentally this thread makes for a very lame character as well.

Maybe to you that makes Auron a jackass, but if he told Yuna that from the off, would she have continued her pilgrimage? He kept it to himself for the greater good, hoping that Yuna would gain the strength to defeat Lady Yunalesca in battle rather than making her lose heart before her journey even kicked off. She was already on shakey ground what with the Bevelle situation.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »

Yuna knew the whole time.  It was Tidus that didin't know how the journey was going to end.
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »

I think what Killer Armoire is talkin about is
Code:
how Auron knew that one of Yuna's companions would become the Final Aeon and then Sin, while Yuna just knew that she would die.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 02:48:09 AM »

I think what KillerArmoire is referring to is that Auron knew that creating another Sin to fight Sin wasn't a very productive solution and that there was probably another way to go about killing him without replacing him. He knew about Dream Zanarkand, he knew about Yunalesca, and possibly of Yu Yevon as well (not sure on this).

The death march thing was really unnecessary considering the fact that simply putting a stop to Sin once and for all is probably a good enough reward in of itself (since it won't be wreaking up the place and even a side order of vengeance could be wroth in one fell swoop), and the extra angst was completely unnecessary aside from making Yuna into a tragic heroine. If anything knowing that you and one of your teammates could be the hero without that messy death business (which was quite the messy business given how many people were walking it off like nothing happened).

Besides it was obvious from the start that they were going to find another way, the fact that Auron sat on that fact alone makes him into a jackass.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: