Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 11:15:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327738 Posts in 13419 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Small things that make RPGs more enjoyable
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Small things that make RPGs more enjoyable  (Read 2208 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 12:16:22 AM »

I found the jumping elements made Xenogears, as a whole, more enjoyable.  Isn't that what this thread is about?  What makes things more enjoyable to you.  The problem with Xenogears was the camera angles, otherwise I really enjoyed some of the jumping puzzles (EX: Thames) and dungeons.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 12:25:46 AM »

I like puzzles in dungeons in general.  They don't have to be anything mind bending (in fact, it's probably better if they're not too hard because being stuck isn't fun), but having something that makes you stop and think can break up the monotony of combat.  This is something FFXIII fails miserably at.

The Xenosaga games did puzzles extremely well in my opinion.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 12:28:38 AM »

Tower of Babel. Being able to get into random encounters mid-jump ruined the jumping mechanics.

I don't even remember any jumping puzzles. I thought the Thames was some claw game thing. I just remember Babel, and it taking forever. Otherwise I don't really recall much platforming. Mostly just jumping on peoples' heads and getting a free ride.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:33:49 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 12:37:43 AM »

Tower of Babel. Being able to get into random encounters mid-jump ruined the jumping mechanics.

I can understand, to an extent.  My first time through Babel I had an absolutely miserable time, especially with the last section and the moving Pods.  Now it's my favorite dungeon in the game.

But since we're on the topic of puzzles overall, I'd like to make a statement that agrees with you and Kevadu:
Don't put random encounters into your puzzle rooms! I can enjoy puzzles, but when the puzzle requires you to move from one side of the room to the other and you can't even get halfway across the room without fighting it's incredibly annoying. For some puzzles it might even confuse you and you might forget what you were going to do.

Edit: Oh, you edited yours.  Yes, there were a few jumping puzzles.  The Thames and Shevat had jumping puzzles where you had to jump specifically to get certain items.  For example, in the Thames you had to jump on one NPC's head to jump onto a moving crate and whatnot.  Kislev also had a few nice "puzzles."  They're nothing extraordinary, but they allow you access to extra items and sections.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:39:26 AM by Cyril » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: