Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 05:54:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319009 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  X-Com, nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: X-Com, nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2190 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:20:24 PM »

my poor heart, she is broken
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:11:23 AM »

What if the game is good?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:17:29 AM »

At best it's still a disappointing example of how certain types of games are "unacceptable" on modern consoles.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:03:12 AM »

You know, people keep telling me Fallout 3 is great...I played it, didn't care for it at all (well, that's not entirely true...I liked the intro).  Fallout 1 & 2 are great, though.

Some of us just don't like certain styles of games.  And the classic X-Com games were brilliant for what they were.  Now somebody wants to reimagine them as a completely different kind of game, so I can't help but be skeptical.  What's the point, even?  It's not like the X-Com world is a terribly deep or original setting or anything.  It's not fresh in anyone's mind.  Why not just do something original?  Because there are a million 'original' FPSs that are all the same...might as well prey on nostalgia then.

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:00:16 AM »

Well, granted X-Com is something you see little of these days (though Sins of a Solar Empire is amazing), but just because something hops genres doesn't make it worse by default. I will admit that the new Shadowrun suffered from being a shooter, but as a shooter it wasn't a bad experience. By the same token, the new X-Com could be good in its own right.

That said? I wouldn't mind if X-Com went right back to its roots and developers challenged themselves to update the bloody genre.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:01:38 AM »

So Valis X can possibly not be considered a travesty if it happens to be a good hentai game?

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:20:47 AM »

Sure. Why not? Of course, hentai games are, by majority, awful pieces of crap, so it's a sure bet that it's nothing to write home about.

Regardless, the comparison there is unfair, because Valis X was merely an attempt to take advantage of the fanbase based on the appeal of the heroine. While one may say that X-Com's revival is attempting to take advantage of the popularity of the FPS genre and nostalgia, that's yet to be seen. I may be wrong, but I think it's a little early to call it one way or another.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 08:35:11 AM »

I don't see how it's unfair, the game's making a humongous genre shift in order to potentially pander to an audience that will garner larger gains.

It'd be no different than if Breath of Fire was revived as a third person shooter or the Mana series was renewed as a Puzzle game. People have certain expectations of a series because of its establishment in a certain genre, and when the genre has a sudden shift to another one that is sure to have a fanbase, then questions will be made about why this change was even necessary.

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 09:12:35 PM »

Except that you implied a genre shift was equal to a quality shift by using Valis X as an example. Just because something makes a genre shift does not mean the resulting game is bad. It may give the existing audience pause, even make them hate it, but that says nothing factual about the game itself. Valis X, I'm assuming, is a bad game. Being a Valis property or otherwise would likely not change that.

On the other hand, what if the world of X-Com is realised well through an FPS? Street Fighter informed Puzzle Fighter in such a way that while there was a solid game underneath it all, having the SF mythos for visual gags and whatnot made the title that much stronger.

Another example is Space Hulk, where Warhammer mythology and characters had been placed inside a hybrid RPG-FPS. Should Warhammer fans have cried foul about it? Well I'm sure a few did. That doesn't change the fact that Space Hulk was a good game, worthy of the Warhammer franchise, and informed by its mythology.

There is not guarantee at this stage whether or not X-Com will be good or bad. The fanbase can cry foul all it wants. All I'm saying is that it's better to reserve judgement until more can be discerned.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »

At best it's still a disappointing example of how certain types of games are "unacceptable" on modern consoles.

Poor Shadowrun :(

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 12:24:45 AM »

I don't even consider the 360 'Shadowrun' game to be a Shadowrun game.  I mean, it wasn't even set in the same universe.  It had some vague thematic similarities at most.

I remember enjoying the SNES Shadowrun game quite a bit back in the day, though.  Sure it wasn't really true to the mechanics of the game (I am a long-time pen and paper Shadowrun player so these things bother me), but it did a pretty good job of capturing the atmosphere and feel of the world.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »

I remember enjoying the SNES Shadowrun game quite a bit back in the day, though.  Sure it wasn't really true to the mechanics of the game (I am a long-time pen and paper Shadowrun player so these things bother me), but it did a pretty good job of capturing the atmosphere and feel of the world.

If you haven't already, try the Genesis version. It is very authentic to the setting, style, and rules of the pen and paper game. There is also a Sega CD interactive-fiction type game in Japan, but I don't know much about it.

As for X-Com, wasn't there a canceled X-Com squad-based FPS (like Rainbow Six) back in the early 2000s?

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 12:03:08 AM »

I don't see how it's unfair, the game's making a humongous genre shift in order to potentially pander to an audience that will garner larger gains.

...I thought every game with the "X-Com" label on it since the original took major leaps in genre/type? There's no precedent here afaik for holding to the original "X-Com formula" in gameplay.

I also understand the source code to the original X-Com is lost.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:20:47 AM »

Well, granted X-Com is something you see little of these days (though Sins of a Solar Empire is amazing)

X-Com and Sins aren't similar.

Fanbases only exist to bitch and deserve to get fucked over. Fanbases make gaming suck.

...I thought every game with the "X-Com" label on it since the original took major leaps in genre/type?

Sort of. X-Com 2 was X-Com 1 with different art, and was hated for only being X-Com 1 with different art. X-Com: Apocalypse introduced some significant, interesting changes to the series, but was largely hated for NOT being X-Com 1 with different art.

Hence my original point. Fanbases are mostly useless.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: