Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:55:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334701 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite Game Story Topic & most disappointing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Game Story Topic & most disappointing  (Read 11184 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:11:27 AM »

This seems to be an issue to some people lately.  So, humour us, what was your favorite video game story evar?  Please tell a bit why too!!!
ALSO!!!!  WHICH WAS MOST 'DISAPPOINTING'?
NOT BAD, but disappointing.  What was built up and fell short?  Or what was a really good story before (something) ruined it?

LOVE!!

Terranigma - I loved this one.  You pretty much start off in underworld, and work towards reviving earth.  The twists along the way was something that floored me for an SNES title.

Final Fantasy 6 - I think it was the first time character development went so deep for a game.  That, and I may be attacked with a sense of nostalgia when I put this here.  But anyways.  An interesting, beautifully painted world, combined castles with machinery in a graceful fashion.  And, well, the world gets destroyed a bit.  When will Squeenix remake this title instead?! Bonus point for stealing the song "Johnny Be Good"

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter - for a minimalist storyline, brought on by further, tiresome, plays... the story was deep.  Ryu struggled against his friend who is willing to do anything to surpass him, Nina is the victim of poverty and cruel experiments, and Lin...helps out!  The characters aren't featured very long; but I think its a combination of the world and atmosphere.  People have forgotten what a blue sky looks like (and paint the ceiling of one of their underground cities blue to simulate it).  There was a great deal of haunting in this game too.

Tales of the Abyss - WOW!!  Strong character development (if not the best the series has seen), political agendas (and characters representing each facet), vindictive (but purposeful) villains, and an emotional ride through character dilemmas and an unmerciful ecosystem that threatens to poison its inhabitants. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Haha

Final Fantasy VII - like VI, a fantastic mix of modern themes and fantasy.  Somewhere between Midgar and the City of Ancients you get pulled into this fantastic world.  Strong characters, and interesting enemies.

Resonance of Fate - yeah...sorry..I've done nothing but blah-blah about it here too.  But it gets a spot.  again, minimalist storyline; some key parts are actually seen in the games opening (thats new), and some parts where you need to connect the dots yourself.  Tri-Ace has trouble with storylines, but they're excellent at "classic" storytelling that plays out simple events in a meaningful fashion.

Chrono Cross/Trigger - another WOW!!  The time bit gets played our gracefully (an amazing concept that really isn't used that often).  I LOVE how the first game gets you walking around in time, and the second has you skipping between dimensions (a perfect follow up, and a deeper continuation to the events in Chrono Trigger).
-
-
DISPPOINTED!!

Tales of Vesperia - I still love this game, and its still like a 9.(something) in my book.  BUT WOW!  It feels INCREDIBLY incomplete!!  Aside from the fact that the game's opening is incredibly misleading (I don't think Raven ever has an issue with the lanky fucker from the hunters guild).  Duke seemed to have been thrown in as a last boss...I don't know why; it wasn't very memorable.  Characters barely have backstories explained (however, I'd argue the game was more about character GROWTH than their past conflicts).  Flynn completely forgets any problems he has with Yuri.  Alexei is seen a total of two times before he's established a villain...our of nowhere.  Makes use of a few too many Deus Ex Machinas too...  The game has a charm though that won't let me hate it - and I say that in a good way.

Final Fantasy XIII - too much of the game is explained in the glossary.  Which I wouldn't mind if as much time isn't already wasted in cutscenes.  FUCK!  Hope!  I don't care about your dead mom or your project Nora to get revenge.  Vanille!  Stop squeeking incohesive nothings and start saying good shit!  Serah!!....oh Serah.... cheer the fuck up!  Sazh is wonderful though.  The story is good!  To compare it, however, is like a six-pack of abs hiding on a "pudgy" individual.  Its there, just hiding.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:23:43 AM »

Chrono Cross - I liked its ruminations on the choices we make in life

FF 9 - for Vivi's arc

Suikoden 2 - Don't really get much better than this

Grandia - Because I like Justin's growth from the beginning as a kid, to the ending. It actually feels like he grows up during the game and it's well done.

SMT - Nocturne - Minimalist, but very interesting

Suikoden 3 - A really interesting approach to storytelling (kind of similar to Lost in some ways, which is partly why I think I like it) with a great story for longtime fans.

Disappointment

Eternal Sonata - an interesting premise, crippled with generic anime tropes

Suikoden IV - Desperately trying too hard to ape Suikoden 2

Shadow Hearts 2 - I didn't like the way they retconned Roger Bacon

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:37:31 AM »

The list of disappointing RPG Plots are far too numerous to count so I'll just skip the middle man and say all of them.

This thread is disappointing as well.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:41:08 AM »

Loved

Lufia II - I don't know why, the story wasn't exactly outstanding by any stretch of the imagination. It just always leaves me with a warm, satisfied feeling. Which is what I want when I finish a game.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin - This game blew my mind. It was the first Persona game I ever played and it really got me hooked on the series. The subtleties is what makes it for me, none of the characters spell out their feelings for you, but they are still relate able. The Joker was an interesting villain and the rumour system was simply genius.

Final Fantasy X - The last Final Fantasy game I actually enjoyed, also, the last turn-based one. A connection? Maybe. This game supports a very strong cast of characters and I loved them all. I loved the interactivity of the Overdrives  (Also how they charge), the sphere system was okay, i'm not pushed either way. I still prefer FF9's weapon system,. Battles could be long and tactical or short and sweet, depending on how you like to play. And the voice acting was good. Except that infamous part where they laugh. That is painful.

Disappointing -

Final Fantasy X III - I wasn't even excited by this game and it still disappointed me. Never has a story felt so hallow. It is truly shocking that this is even called Final Fantasy, where is the heart? The gameplay is alright, I guess. Didn't make me like it much more. I did not care about the cocoon citizenry, or the characters for that matter. Except Sahz and the chocobo.

Apollo Justice - Not a bad game, I just didn't like it as much as Phoenix Wright, it might just be a matter of preferance though. The new characters where hard to bond with and more of a focus towards the CSI put me off.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (and A2) - Gee, they really missed the point on this one didn't they. After such an interesting story in FFT they decided to go for the boy gets transported to a magical land thing instead? Okay... If you ignore the story comepletey, you won't be missing out on anything, it's gameplay is rather fun. Except A2, that game is broken if you have a brain and know how to work the auction system.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »

Dice, I agree with you on TotA and ToV. ToV, while a great game, just added gimmicks to the battle system.

Oh, most disappointing game for me is SO4. I bought a 360 for it (and ToV) and I played 6 hours before I gave up on it.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »

My all time favorite video game story is easily Ever17: The Out of Infinity.  Of course, it is my all time favorite video game, so it goes without saying.  Even with some sloppiness in Hirameki's localization and some confusing names (one character goes by the name "You." Her real name's Yubiseiharukana but her nametag says "You.") the story absolutely blew my mind and made me feel every emotion under the sun.  I've said it often, if you were compelled by Albedo in Xenosaga, you must play Ever17 and meet Tsugumi.  She may initially start out as a tsundere type, but she's one of the deepest and most tragic video game characters I've met.

I'll +1 Persona 2: Innocent Sin as it has my all time favorite storyline in a JRPG.  My review of that game is totally tl;dr because I had so much to say about the game.  Heh, that's why I generally don't review Persona games because of my fanboy tendencies. 

And a storyline thread and no mention of Planescape: Torment yet?  For shame! 

For storylines where I felt like a frustrated teacher shouting, "BUT YOU HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!!"... whoo, there's a lot. 

Every single Star Ocean game comes to mind. 

Another obvious one for me is FF8.  It has positive points in that it has one of the best character studies I've seen in a JRPG.  Disk 1 was lovely- a tightly woven political drama with some great school-ties stuff, but after that the plot became a jumbled mess of arbitrary ideas cobbled together, had more holes than Swiss cheese, and completely obfuscated whatever point it was trying to make. 

Thousand Arms' first disk was loads of fun, but disk 2 was completely deflated.  The game totally ran out of steam.  Too bad, because it was one of the best harem comedy RPGs I'd played.  Had the game stayed in the over a little longer, it'd have been incredible, but in its current form it's a bit undercooked.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 12:55:05 PM »

Loved! Wild Arms 2! : Little cliche these days, but at the time i played i was simply moved, with the idea of the main character having the demon inside of him, and a war happening around his loved ones, FIGHTING INSIDE AND OUTSIDE, and maybe even taking advantage of this demon's power!, but, this could put his people and the woman he loves in danger!, And of course lots of the side stories and etc, ending, really great and satisfactory!

Loved! Dragon Quest 5: Darn this story was so great, starting as a child, until your mature days, even getting wife and kids, really, epic story, i was so happy for the guy at the end, and i just realized i just lived someone else's life, something ive never felt in any rpg.

Loved! Okage the shadow king!: Funniest story ever, interesting as well, also, ive never felt so connected with a silent character ever, a boy that has always been overlooked by ppl, who could never say no, is choosed by the evil king to be his vessel, so he can save her sister from the pig or something dissease (speaks like pig and haves a pink shadow), this could only be done thanks to the boy's shadow, darker that the dark itself. Meeting epic ,crazy, funny and variated characters, being the slave of the evil king and getting his power back, meeting heros, Great ending! Great soundtrack! (sadly, it almost told us to expect okage 2, but things didnt go well D=)

I know there are more i love but i dont wanna make this too long :P.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT: Rougue galaxy, i was really liking this game, but it sucked at the end, the story just ended so suddenly and incomplete, it made me really hate that game, i felt i played for nothing, for just a crappy ending -.-

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 01:29:54 PM »

Final Fantasy XIII - too much of the game is explained in the glossary.  Which I wouldn't mind if as much time isn't already wasted in cutscenes.  FUCK!  Hope!  I don't care about your dead mom or your project Nora to get revenge.  Vanille!  Stop squeeking incohesive nothings and start saying good shit!  Serah!!....oh Serah.... cheer the fuck up!  Sazh is wonderful though.  The story is good!  To compare it, however, is like a six-pack of abs hiding on a "pudgy" individual.  Its there, just hiding.

I too thought this was strange. I remember reading a snyopsis while loading the game thinking to myself, did I skip a cutscene by accident?

On the other hand, it does allow for those who want to really delve into the gameworld more than the casual player the chance to do so. Similar with the Bioware games and the codexes they have.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »

I don't remember all the good stories so I'll just state the disappointing ones

-Final Fantasy XIII

Someone please help me finish this game so I can trade it in for something better.

-Dark CLoud 2

DC2 is my favorite game of all time and the villian was built up throughout the entire game.When the big bad guy revealed why he started so much trouble,I was simply stunned at his stupid reason.Not to mention he wasn't the real villain....???

-White Knight Chronicles

I absolutely loved WKC and still play it.However the story doesn't pick up until you get to Sinca and feels incomplete so I guess I have to wait for WKC2 and WKC3 :P

-Rogue Galaxy

So much potential for a classic ending.No cigar

Plenty of others...I'll post them later

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 07:30:20 PM »

And a storyline thread and no mention of Planescape: Torment yet?  For shame!  

It's because I hadn't responded yet.  And yeah, I don't think anything will catch up to that.

Other than that, hmm.  Well, I don't really want to say games I haven't finished yet so I'm going to exclude games like The Witcher.  Epic stuff but I'm still not done yet. :(

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter - ditto.  Best minimalist plot ever.

Final Fantasy Tactics - speaking of surprising that it hasn't been mentioned yet, Final Fantasy Tactics has one pretty awesome, dark plot.  Granted it isn't all 12/10 the whole way through, but it practically is.

Final Fantasy XII - what can I say, I'm a sucker for political plots.

Magna Carta: Tears of Blood (95% of the game) - some very neat ideas here.  And hey, the whole Shadow Hearts vibe always gets me interested.  Such a shame a very small piece of the plot COMPLETELY ruined the rest of it.

Phantasy Star IV - best 16 bit RPG plot.  Definitely the most epic game of the series and a fitting end...but oh would that I rather had more.

Shadow Hearts 1/2 - Both were pretty satisfying for me, and I loved the whole faux history bit.  

SMT...anything, including spinoffs: I don't think I've touched a SMT game I didn't like yet in terms of plot.  Best of the best?  Digital Devil Saga.  One long roller coaster of emotion, and I'm always for that sort of thing.

Suikoden III - best of the series.  It's a shame the style isn't used in other games because it was unique and done pretty well.

Suikoden V - sure a lot of it is similar to II, but what isn't is that there's a lot more politics in here.  And as I said, I am a sucker for political stuff.

Tales of the Abyss - not only is it amazing, but it's a Tales game?  The series defined by how woefully generic it is?  It's mostly good stuff, especially towards the end, where the game delves into all sorts of issues that you just don't see in RPGs.

Xenosaga I/III - Lots of really good stuff.  Although Xenogears had some interesting ideas, I thought Xenosaga had a lot more things hashed out properly in the movies.  Er games.  It's a shame about Xenosaga II, but that's how it goes.

Worst:

Grandia III - worse than Xtreme.  What the hell is this BS?  I've never been big on the Grandia series in terms of plot, but it's terrible.

Saga Frontier - while I loved the game, most of the plots are a bunch of minimalist garbage at best.  At worst, I have no idea what the hell was going through Square's heads.

Tri-Ace - just faster this way.  Major exception: VP 1/2.

Shining Force Neo - granted it's not like any of the other SF plots are all that good, but I'm sure I lost at least a brain cell or two playing this game.  

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 08:00:13 PM »

its  extremely rare that i come away from a video game saying damn the story was awesome or even that the story sucked. the only time the story really annoyed me enough to stop playing was in Grandia 3 with its power of love bullshit. also the storty in DQ8 was a total borefest as well. i guess crono cross and final fantasy xi's stories have intrigued me at times but part of that is that they make me think and develop theories about what will happen next. i guess the Valkyrie Profile series kinda does that too.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 09:06:57 PM »

Oh yes, once again I forgot about Grandia III.  Yeah, I've ranted till I was blue in the face in a bazillion threads about how the story had potential to be a really good simple story about a boy, his plane, his dream of flight, and looking up to his hero Sky Captain Schmidt.  There was even potential when his mom was in the party because how often do you see a parent playing such an active role in a JRPG?  Of course, then all that got thrown out the window in favor of the dumbass Alfina plotline. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »

Tales of the Abyss - not only is it amazing, but it's a Tales game?  The series defined by how woefully generic it is?  It's mostly good stuff, especially towards the end, where the game delves into all sorts of issues that you just don't see in RPGs.

Since the odds of me every playing TotA again are non-existent, what are the interesting themes that come up towards the end? I'm curious.

Final Fantasy XII - what can I say, I'm a sucker for political plots.

I have to admit not getting very far in this -- up to like, uh... the... wood place. Where the Vieras live -- but when DOES it get political? I just remember a bunch of disjointed crap about deifacted nethicyte. I sort of stopped paying attention after Basch had an evil twin brother.

Anyway, I don't put much stock in plot. Looking back, the videogame plots that gamers tend to latch onto are the ones that are full of holes and don't explain jack. Probably because this lets gamers project their own thoughts onto them or something. I have no idea.

"Plot quality" is also something that's sort of awkward to judge, especially when most RPG/game writers think that "plot quality" equates to "let's turn the game into a convoluted, impossible to understand clusterfuck."

So, yeah. I tend to focus more on theme and characters and things like that. Most JRPGs are terrible at both of those which is why I stopped playing games for the story about a million years ago.

Which is why I think minimalism works better. Why I think that maybe text isn't a great medium for games. Why I'm finding the Shadow Temple in OoT and... all of Unreal more memorable, right now, than any of the bajillion RPGs I've played.

Although, you know, in terms of theme, I always found Ultima 7 exceptionally bold for taking on Scientology.

Or the progressively mounting feeling of detachment and isolation that creeps into Terranigma the further the game gets along.

Or the way your main character grows further and further closer to the female lead, only for her to leave him af... Oh, wait. That was real.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 01:01:32 AM »

+Summon Night 2(GBA): Thought the story was great and the humor was wonderful. If memory serves me right, there's a part in the story where you have to woo a shark creature so you can pass by, regardless what gender you are. Decent script that merit many chuckles.

+Wild Arms 2: Enjoyed the whole terrorist storyline with Odessa. Playing through the game a second time right now because I liked it that much. Wish there was more Liz and Ard scenes, these reptiles were a riot.

+Chrono Trigger: The "Time" theme of the game was great. Story was enjoyable and I enjoyed the different endings.

+Growlanser II: Plainly because you can switch sides and overthrow your kingdom. A perk I've always appreciated in any video game.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 01:34:19 AM »

Tales of the Abyss - not only is it amazing, but it's a Tales game?  The series defined by how woefully generic it is?  It's mostly good stuff, especially towards the end, where the game delves into all sorts of issues that you just don't see in RPGs.

Since the odds of me every playing TotA again are non-existent, what are the interesting themes that come up towards the end? I'm curious.

MINOR SPOILERS BELOW...!...and its all "IIRC"

Individual purposes for life.  The past torment that shadows on each character runs pretty deep, the the voice acting is top notch to bring it out.  There is political story.  Luke is the son of a duke who, after a mishap, is taken along with a religious order's soldier (Tear, the brown hair girl) to enemy land.

The game kind of hit a few philosophical concepts; dealing with predestined lives.  The "score" (a stone that predicts everyone and everythings future) essentially runs the lives of people on the planet because it knows what it is going to happen next.  People have unsuccessfully challenged destiny until an anomaly occurs and shit goes crazy.

Lastly there is a big environmental thing.  No, everyone does not start protesting green-house gases.  But rather the world is elevated from the *actual* planet's crust, so essentially, everything is a floating island.  The world below is plagued with a toxic miasma.  The continents are held up by "Sephiroth trees", which are being threatened, and could potentially lower the lands back into the miasma, causing doom.

The evil game villains each have a unique story to have a gripe with destiny or a main character.
Same with the main characters, they all have effed back stories to peak your interest.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: