Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 09:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332708 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite Game Story Topic & most disappointing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Game Story Topic & most disappointing  (Read 11058 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 01:45:51 PM »

Favorites: Dragon Quest VII, Legend of Mana, and Breath of Fire V.

Most Disappointing: Radiata Stories. I forced myself to beat that game because I wanted to see the ending, and then I actually saw the ending and instantly regretted it. >:-(
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 03:39:44 PM »

Favorites: Dragon Quest VII

Wait do you actually mean 7 and not 8?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »

Yes.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »

It's ironic how when I first got to a certain godawful plot twist in SO3 back in 2004, I was so offended, not because it ranks among humanity's greatest literary crimes, but because the ramifications of such a twist was such that the entire lore of the series was made completely worthless. Only now, after playing through some of SO2 do I now realize that the lore of the series was worthless garbage to begin with (as is pretty much everything else Tri-Ace touches).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »

BEST!

Final Fantasy Tactics - Seriously Awesome Medieval War Drama, so many little Easter Eggs referring to the FF world too, rich with depth, the presentation in the PSP version makes it even better!

Suikoden II - Epic story, depicts war, friendship, good, and evil in a cliche but very entertaining way.

Arc the Lad II - HUGE story, picks up well after Arc I

Albert Odessey (Sega Saturn) - If you want one of the best generic JRPG stories ever, this is it.

Phantasy Star IV - Tied all the series back together into a powerful conclusion! (Elsydeon scene got me teary eyed)

WORST!

Beyond the Beyond- My first real letdown....looked like a spiritual sequel to the Shining series.  I can't believe Camelot made this game. Bad generic JRPG story...never really developed into anything more.

SO3- Started out with a lot of potential until the "twist"....the ending seemed to make things worse.

Eternal Sonata - Acid trip story which was overly dramatic and confusing. Don't watch the ending with Japanese voice setting or you won't understand the voice overs during the credits!!!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:49:45 AM by Akito » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 06:10:10 PM »

SO3 was dumb as hell before the twist, and as stupid as SO2's story was, it looks amazing next to SO3. Even without taking the twist into consideration. SO2 was just standard JRPG goofiness. SO3 like came into your house and punched your mom in the nuts.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »

SO3 was dumb as hell before the twist, and as stupid as SO2's story was, it looks amazing next to SO3. Even without taking the twist into consideration. SO2 was just standard JRPG goofiness. SO3 like came into your house and punched your mom in the nuts.

Bingo, SO3 just went from bad to horrible. People trying to pin SO3s failing on one thing are full of it. It was just a terrible game all around. I can understand the enjoyment of the battle system, for some, but it really wasn't my thing either. I love how people look back starry-eyed on SO3 after SO4. I've never played SO4, but if it's SO BAD as to make SO3 look good in comparison, that's gotta be a whole new level of shit.

And it's now my turn to bitch about FF13. I Loved the game so much (just beat it), but I gotta say, the story was fucking terrible. Characters were great, music was superb, battle system and skill system were killer, and the environments were wonderful. But the story was so completely full of itself, and half the time I didn't even know what the fuck was going on, or even care. The only really cool part was the 5 or so hours that you're in that city, that was just wonderful. But aside from that, the plot was just fucking weird. Probably the first game even that I've loved DESPITE having a terrible plot.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »

SO3 is the only JRPG I legitimately hate, honestly. There's lots of JRPGs I dislike and maybe even SAY that I hate, but SO3... I can't think of any JRPGs I like less. I can't think of many games in general that I like less. Maybe Daggerfall.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 12:12:17 AM »

I don't hate Star Ocean 3 that much but I have to agree, I was so disappointed with it. The combat was good enough, but I remembered I used the same moves from the beggining of the game, and that made an awesome combo; all I had to do was alternate between X and circle to beat anything.
Crappy characters, voice acting, story (don't let me get started), etc. If it weren't for the combat system I certainly wouldn't have finished it.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »

WORST!

Beyond the Beyond- My first real letdown....looked like a spiritual sequel to the Shining series.  I can't believe Camelot made this game. Bad generic JRPG story...never really developed into anything more.

The only good to come of Beyond the Beyond was that you got to ride around in NGE's Third Angel (or was it the Fourth?).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 01:13:43 PM »

I don't hate Star Ocean 3 that much but I have to agree, I was so disappointed with it. The combat was good enough, but I remembered I used the same moves from the beggining of the game, and that made an awesome combo; all I had to do was alternate between X and circle to beat anything.
Crappy characters, voice acting, story (don't let me get started), etc. If it weren't for the combat system I certainly wouldn't have finished it.

I liked some of the characters. Well, not exactly, I liked one of them and that was Albel. We had a lot on common. He disliked the rest of the cast, I disliked the rest of the cast and we both look good in skirts.

But to be honest, I had a lot of fun with Star Ocean 3 despite its stupidity. I guess it was the gameplay that kept me going.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »

You guys are making a very good case for me to never touch a Star Ocean game, ever.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 02:32:53 PM »

http://www.samanthawarnaar.com/albelnox/contentgallery/official/albel1p.jpg

I know a lot of JRPGs have girly, pretty men, but Albel's a new kind of androgynous.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »

You guys are making a very good case for me to never touch a Star Ocean game, ever.

I think Star Ocean makes a good enough case of that on it's own.

But really, SO2 isn't bad at all. It's much lighter and doesn't take itself seriously. That was the big problem with 3 (and 4, from what I've heard). Instead of being a silly, fun, space adventure that knew it was a silly space adventure, the developers actually took themselves seriously, which was a mistake. Suddenly everything changed from a fun in-joke, to horrible pretension. SO2 moves along at a nice pace too, and doesn't keep wallowing in anything too long. SO3 finds the audience having to endure one horrible plot arc and dungeon for hours upon hours, before moving on to the next.

I've heard SO1 is pretty good too, but I haven't played it. Bottom line is, SO is not a great series, by any stretch of the imagination, but SO1 and SO2 aren't terrible.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »

I think Star Ocean makes a good enough case of that on it's own.

I was going to say, First Departure suffers from the same failings as all the others - it goes from scifi to fantasy pretty quick - but it's not a bad game.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: