Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:51:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Yu-Gi-Oh!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Yu-Gi-Oh!  (Read 1096 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2010, 04:57:48 AM »

I have just read a review of Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2010. One comment is the story takes your main character through a basic RPG experience. although it is listed as a card game.

I did not see any previous games in the series reviewed here so I guess it is not a true RPG.

The only other Card game I have played was Lost Kingdoms 1 & 11 on the gamecube and that is classed as an RPG.

Has anyone played a DS Yu-Gi-Oh?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »

I wouldn't class it really as an RPG either. I play Yugioh  and I like it, but saying the story is an RPG is reaching. The story itself is just something to kind of push you towards more card battles with different people. The story is neither exciting or well thought out. The card game however is top notch.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:04:59 PM »

I played Yu-Gi-Oh competitively in real life (going to NJ for a Shonen Jump Championship next weekend), but these games aren't RPG's as far as I know. I haven't played a DS one, but I played a few for GBA. They use all the rules and everything as we do playing the game irl and I don't see how anyone could classify it as an RPG over a card-based game. There's really no story from what I have heard from others who own it. And yes, the card game is certainly top-notch compared to what it was 4-5 years ago. Much more strategy involved in all phases of the game.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »

i could never like the yu gi oh card. i kept thinking to myself.....damn magic the gathering is so much better than this totally unbalanced game. there was one yu gi oh game for gamecube that i think could be called an rpg. you make teams of monsters from the series and level them up. it was sorta heroes of might and magic'ish.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »

i could never like the yu gi oh card. i kept thinking to myself.....damn magic the gathering is so much better than this totally unbalanced game. there was one yu gi oh game for gamecube that i think could be called an rpg. you make teams of monsters from the series and level them up. it was sorta heroes of might and magic'ish.

Yu-Gi-Oh did used to be an unbalance game with only one deck winning every tournament, but if you take a look now there's plenty of variety and much more strategy than there ever was before. It's turned into a great game and it has found its peak in popularity this year. They've outsold Magic the Gathering like 4-1 or something like that.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 12:53:14 AM »

Most of the people at the game store im at, including those that played Yugioh until recently have stated its a money game.   Very few cards are worth having besides the ultra rares and whatnot.  I play magic right now, but even it seems like to much of a money game to me.  Every deck that wins where im at, and I play at the less competitive store, the same people ALWAYS win, because they have the most expensive cards in their decks, because those cards pretty much make the deck.  Even my friend who has been winning with his Ally deck, has at least 100 or so dollars in just fetch lands it.  I actually decided just tonight to quit magic and sell off my stuff because I just cannot justify the cost with the lack of fun and frustration, and this is just after only having played for 4 months. 

Anywho back to the main topic (sorry bout that) I would assume its no more an RPG than any other card related game. Yep.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 12:56:26 AM »

Well there's a starter deck that cost 10 bucks (buying 3 for 30 to get a playset of all the cards) that is winning consistently in Yugioh right now (Machine Gadgets, came out a little over a month ago). It has been constantly getting in the top 8 in tournaments with hundreds of people in them. 30 bucks for a deck is amazing considering that's less than 1 card in a Lightsworn deck (60-70 bucks just for one Judgment Dragon). It has been a money game, but the skilled players WITH money are the ones that win most of the time. I'm no rich person, but I can spend enough to stay competitive.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: