Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 08:20:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331897 Posts in 13592 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  something thats really starting to get on my nerves...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: something thats really starting to get on my nerves...  (Read 4610 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »

Blah blah I like being a troll for no reason blah blah.

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 01:22:51 AM »

I think the worst offender of this is FFT Advance 2. Those hit rate percentages were really wonky.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 03:25:29 AM »

First off, if you have less than a 100% chance to hit in FE8 you're doing it wrong.  FE8 makes it retardedly easy to max your hit rate.

yeah man its not like fire emblem has random level ups and people like garcia with awful skill wat the hell are you on about

And yet, the second you get Garcia you also have access to his son, who is like 10 levels lower and still a better unit.  So if you picked Garcia instead of Ross as your Axe-user, it's your own fault, and thus, you are doing it wrong.

But even if you ARE using Garcia, in FE8 the to-hit% boost you get for following the weapon triangle is retarded, and enemy units with lances are all slow as molasses.  And if you're not following the weapon triangle and are swinging Steel Axes at Myrmidons, again, you're doing it wrong.

Nevermind the fact that you can easily farm Skill Scrolls or anything either.

Besides the reason why the FE games are so accurate with their percentiles is because they aren't. The later FE games uses the average of two different RNG calculations to determine whether you're going to hit/be hit/whatever thus creating a bell-curve effect. For instance the odds of hitting with a 90% chance means that you are actually hitting with a 98.1% chance and that being hit with a 1% chance means that the enemy only has a .03% chance to hit you. Of course something like 50% is still 50% but 45% is actually 40.95% while 55% is actually 59.95%.

So (hopefully) now you know.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 04:31:51 AM »

And yet, the second you get Garcia you also have access to his son, who is like 10 levels lower and still a better unit.  So if you picked Garcia instead of Ross as your Axe-user, it's your own fault, and thus, you are doing it wrong.

But even if you ARE using Garcia, in FE8 the to-hit% boost you get for following the weapon triangle is retarded, and enemy units with lances are all slow as molasses.  And if you're not following the weapon triangle and are swinging Steel Axes at Myrmidons, again, you're doing it wrong.

yeah dude youre only supposed to use the characters that are useful instead of ones you like, what are you stupid

lets take the extreme ends of the gameplay in order to prove our point after assuming accuracy is the only game mechanic involving percentages
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

When you intentionally use the worst character in the game and then declare that the whole game works like his mechanic, you're not exactly doing the game justice either, buddy.  And I mean, regardless of his incredibly low skill, the game makes it very easy to counterbalance it by giving you mountains of Iron Axes and Hatchets which have super-high Hit%, and beyond even that Garcia STILL has a higher hit rate then comparable characters in other FE games.

And we can cover the other parts of FE8 that make it retardedly easy, like the fact that your characters get incredibly high luck stats, higher then the characters in any other FE game, while enemies generally get absolutely none, thereby setting your critical hit and dodge percentages through the roof and theirs into the ground, but I figured the weapon triangle part of that discussion already covered it.

BTW, FE8 also has some of the highest % chances for stats to go up in the series as well.  There are tons of characters that have close to 90% chances in multiple stats, and even most of the Prepromotes have awesome stats.  It's the first FE game to have a usable Jeigan.  This list can go on.  I literally cannot imagine having a difficult time with that game when single characters can win maps by themselves (I know of a person who beat the ENTIRE GAME on hard mode with Artur and Lute only, and they're not exactly shining examples of efficiency.)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »

What I don't get is that you're assuming that my complaint has anything to do with the game's difficulty when it had more to do with how the game processes numbers. For the record, I've never played FE8 on normal mode, so our samples are likely completely different.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 06:57:44 PM »

Sorry if this is kind of redundant with what Gen Eric Gui said.  Looks like we were writing at the same time.  Anyway...

What the heck are you guys complaining about?  And 80% chance of hitting is not a guaranteed hit.  It's a 1 in 5 chance of missing.  The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it's incredibly biased.  You remember all the times when you thought you were going to hit and missed, but you don't remember the times when you thought you were going to hit and hit because they're not notable.

Show me a detailed statistical survey and I might believe that there is a problem here.

i'm guessing you've never played an SRW game? it's one thing to miss occasionally with an 80% chance to hit. the thing is it happens far to often. its almost like there a hidden RNG that can alter the % by as much as 15%. but at least in srw you can save before an attack that concerns you then reload if failure occurs. however in the gba fire emblems you litterally cannot change fate.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »

SRPGs, huh? Damn, I hate SRPGs...not that you didn't know that already...

FFT, I quit about 3 story battles into the second chapter; I just couldn't rescue Mustadio before he got killed, and I played that game back in 2000~2001; before I'd gotten acquainted with Gameshark. Can't even remember how long I struggled through the game just to finish the first chapter, either...wasn't even playing very many other games at that time, either...I rathered play no game than play FFT.

Honestly, the only SRPG I've ever played through the whole thing without Gameshark was Disgaea; and that's because it was relatively easy; they were pretty generous at affording you opportunities for a character to skip 10 levels with one kill...on a CURRENT battlefield, along with your character's stats being CURRENT, or where they should be at that point in the game.

Are there any SRPGs you'd recommend for gameplay, to one who doesn't really care for SRPGs at all? Many SRPGs, I just Gameshark to check out the setting, plot, characters, music, etc., but once, I'd actually like there to be an SRPG I actually ENJOYED playing.

You could say Grim Grimoire, but that's actually more an RTS, and it didn't involve level-building, either. Also, short game, relatively easy. Finished it in 3 consecutive days. Damn, I love RTSes...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:42:42 PM by Bernhardt » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 01:22:26 AM »

Try Shining Force 1
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 06:34:19 AM »

I second the recommendation of Shining Force, although the second game in the series is even better and SFIII is also pretty good. Try Arc the Lad Collection too if you haven't already, especially AtLII.

None of these games are overly difficult, and unlike most strategy/RPGs they actually have proper towns and exploration elements, as opposed to being a long series of endless battles broken up by cutscenes.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »

Sorry if this is kind of redundant with what Gen Eric Gui said.  Looks like we were writing at the same time.  Anyway...

What the heck are you guys complaining about?  And 80% chance of hitting is not a guaranteed hit.  It's a 1 in 5 chance of missing.  The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it's incredibly biased.  You remember all the times when you thought you were going to hit and missed, but you don't remember the times when you thought you were going to hit and hit because they're not notable.

Show me a detailed statistical survey and I might believe that there is a problem here.

i'm guessing you've never played an SRW game? it's one thing to miss occasionally with an 80% chance to hit. the thing is it happens far to often. its almost like there a hidden RNG that can alter the % by as much as 15%. but at least in srw you can save before an attack that concerns you then reload if failure occurs. however in the gba fire emblems you litterally cannot change fate.

I already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but there are several skills that can activate to make enemies dodge that don't show up on the standard % readout, and size matters very heavily, which is why you can never hit tiny units like Sorpressas and the Hover tanks.  However, nearly every single character in OG2 has Strike which cancels all of those skills, and is expressly FOR hitting enemies that dodge a lot.

TL;DR version: You're supposed to use Strike to hit those guys, you aren't meant to reliably hit them without it.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »

Something I learned back when I played poker:

You remember the beats way more than you remember the wins.  You can win with AA fifty times, but you'll always remember that time KK smashes your AA.

Hit rates are fine.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »

None of these games are overly difficult, and unlike most strategy/RPGs they actually have proper towns and exploration elements, as opposed to being a long series of endless battles broken up by cutscenes.
Oh yeah, and that's exactly why I liked Rhapsody on the PSX, putting aside the embarrassing musical numbers, of course!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »

AtL2 is one of my favorite JRPGs from what I recall.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »

I second the recommendation of Shining Force, although the second game in the series is even better and SFIII is also pretty good. Try Arc the Lad Collection too if you haven't already, especially AtLII.

Doesnt AtlII have some sort of insanely hard final boss?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: