Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 06:55:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329705 Posts in 13515 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  something thats really starting to get on my nerves...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: something thats really starting to get on my nerves...  (Read 4584 times)
Alisha
Posts: 2714


Member
*

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2010, 08:14:35 PM »

ok i play a lot of strategy rpg's. and anyone who has played some knows that in many of them when you attack a percent is displayed showing your chance of hitting and/or getting hit. the problem is those percents are damn dirty lies. i expect to have a reasonable chance of hitting when a 80% is showed,and a reasonable chance of dodging when a 20% is shown. buuuuuut waaaaaaaay to many times i have missed and gotten hit. its sad when i have to save before attacking with an 80% chance because i might miss >_<.
Logged


“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor
Posts: 5158


Vicious Feminist

Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 08:23:41 PM »

Whenever I play the likes of Fire Emblem, I can usually trust the percentages given. If it says 89%, you can safely say you will hit. If it says 43%, expect to miss but you might be pleasantly surprised. However I remember playing Ogre Battle, FF Tactics and Super Robots getting pretty pissed of when I miss an attack with a probability of 95%.
Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!



Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL
Posts: 10283


Tawdry Hepburn

Member
*


View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »

Whenever I play the likes of Fire Emblem, I can usually trust the percentages given. If it says 89%, you can safely say you will hit. If it says 43%, expect to miss but you might be pleasantly surprised. However I remember playing Ogre Battle, FF Tactics and Super Robots getting pretty pissed of when I miss an attack with a probability of 95%.

That sums it up.  I remember how often I got jerked around by Final Fantasy Tactics.  Meant the difference between life or death sometimes...especially when it came to the grief that accompanied the execution site level.
Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hathen
Posts: 1945


FORUM IDIOT

Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 08:38:17 PM »

I think Fire Emblem's the only strategy RPG I've played where it felt like the percentages were correct.

I'm referring to FE7 that is. The Sacred Stones seems just as wonky as Super Robot Wars or FFT.
Logged
Blace
Posts: 3798


Member
*


View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:56:16 PM »

I disagree on Fire Emblem. The percentages are just as bad. There was one time where I had 99% to hit a boss and win the battle, but if I missed my main character was dead and I lost the battle after hours of playing it. Guess what... I missed and stopped playing the game for quite some time. Another one happened where my opponent had a 15% chance to hit and he did and killed one of my party members I liked.
Logged

Roger S. Huxley
Posts: 358


Member
*

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »

I remember some guy on gamefaqs making his own extensive calculations to see if the percentages in FFT were accurate. I don't remember the exact results, but his numbers were way different than the one the game was giving, the odds he measured were way under. I thought that thread was archived somewhere but I can't find it back.
Logged
Gen Eric Gui
Posts: 2302


Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 12:18:16 AM »

Even a 99% chance to hit means there's a 1% chance to miss.  In fact, statistically speaking, you're going to miss one out of every hundred attacks.  An 80% chance to hit means you're going to miss 1 out of every 5 attacks.  It's not that unreasonable to miss under those circumstances.

I will say though, that Fire Emblem 10 had it out for me.  I missed a LOT when I had solid 90% chances to hit.

Quote
The Sacred Stones seems just as wonky as Super Robot Wars or FFT.

First off, if you have less than a 100% chance to hit in FE8 you're doing it wrong.  FE8 makes it retardedly easy to max your hit rate.

As for Super Robot Wars, remember that there are a lot of passive skills that can fuck with the hit/evade rates, and I don't think some of them are calculated into the shown number.  That's why you get enemies in OG2 that you can never seem to hit under any circumstances, like the Sorpressas and the little hover tanks.  But that's what Strike is for!

As for FFt, I don't recall having any problems with the ratios.  But I'll point out that like with FE8, I generally had 99% or 100%, except for that fucking Genji Armor bullshit.  1 in 4 chance to steal my ass.
Logged
Kevadu
Posts: 3637


Some guy

Member
*


View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 12:19:23 AM »

Sorry if this is kind of redundant with what Gen Eric Gui said.  Looks like we were writing at the same time.  Anyway...

What the heck are you guys complaining about?  And 80% chance of hitting is not a guaranteed hit.  It's a 1 in 5 chance of missing.  The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it's incredibly biased.  You remember all the times when you thought you were going to hit and missed, but you don't remember the times when you thought you were going to hit and hit because they're not notable.

Show me a detailed statistical survey and I might believe that there is a problem here.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:21:14 AM by Kevadu » Logged

Parn
Posts: 2340


Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 12:30:08 AM »

Another one happened where my opponent had a 15% chance to hit and he did and killed one of my party members I liked.

yeah man if the guy rolled a one on a six sided die that means i lose so when he landed a one that was total bullshit the die was obviously rigged it should have landed on two through six instead
Logged
Blace
Posts: 3798


Member
*


View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 12:59:16 AM »

Blah blah I like being a troll for no reason blah blah.
Logged

Hathen
Posts: 1945


FORUM IDIOT

Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 01:01:56 AM »

Quote
First off, if you have less than a 100% chance to hit in FE8 you're doing it wrong.  FE8 makes it retardedly easy to max your hit rate.

yeah man its not like fire emblem has random level ups and people like garcia with awful skill wat the hell are you on about
Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor
Posts: 11721


Member
*


View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 07:51:16 AM »

Regardless in any RPG, a high miss rate is not fun.  It was a big complaint in this indie RPG Eternal Twilight and is a complaint I have about Mimana Iyar Chronicles.  Characters miss a lot, even when right on top of enemies. 
Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
atrevelan
Posts: 4


Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »

I put down FFT for good because of those stupid percentages. I was fighting Wiegraf (I think, it was several years ago) and I had him at a point where I could kill him with the next hit. I get behind him (for more damage and a beeter %) and I see that I'm virtually guaranteed to hit and kill him, finally ending the level that'd been driving me crazy for weeks.

Naturally, I miss, and he murders me on the next turn.
Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator
Posts: 9362


Blame the dragoon.

Member
*


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »

Quote
First off, if you have less than a 100% chance to hit in FE8 you're doing it wrong.  FE8 makes it retardedly easy to max your hit rate.

yeah man its not like fire emblem has random level ups and people like garcia with awful skill wat the hell are you on about

Ha, Garcia. Axe users usually have a shitty skill stat. And shitty speed :P

I, too found that the old Fire Emblems' hit % were pretty accurate. I actually haven't beaten one since Sacred Stones (Japanese FE8.. yeah, bad FE fan is bad), so I can't comment on the new ones. :P
Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Gen Eric Gui
Posts: 2302


Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »

Quote
First off, if you have less than a 100% chance to hit in FE8 you're doing it wrong.  FE8 makes it retardedly easy to max your hit rate.

yeah man its not like fire emblem has random level ups and people like garcia with awful skill wat the hell are you on about

And yet, the second you get Garcia you also have access to his son, who is like 10 levels lower and still a better unit.  So if you picked Garcia instead of Ross as your Axe-user, it's your own fault, and thus, you are doing it wrong.

But even if you ARE using Garcia, in FE8 the to-hit% boost you get for following the weapon triangle is retarded, and enemy units with lances are all slow as molasses.  And if you're not following the weapon triangle and are swinging Steel Axes at Myrmidons, again, you're doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:32:50 PM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  



Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!