Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:09:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334648 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.  (Read 3318 times)
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:36:22 AM »

Anyone excited for this at all? It seems like it's going to be really good, might even top Oblivion, even though that is doutful. It will surely at least look even nicer, and actually have females that don't look like guys.....ugh....thoughts?

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 11:43:19 AM »

The few vids I've seen look pretty cool. Just hoping it's got a lenghty and focused storyline, rather than the freeform roaming around that made up the bulk of Oblivion.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:08:16 PM »

Given that HoMM5 is (apparently -- haven't played it personally) the first good M&M ANYTHING since... '99, not really.

Just hoping it's got a lenghty and focused storyline

It's might and magic so it probably wont.

I did find a random press release on it though~!

"It is also the world’s first fantasy action game to feature a complete first-person combat system."

Like right, because Ultima Underworld never happened

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10075&games=1223 <--

Honestly it looks like it's just a fantasy FPS, and not a particularly innovative one at that. The official website has no info.

So, uh, no, I don't think this will even been in the same genre as Oblivion and I don't know why you're comparing (other than Oblivion being a recent PC RPG).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:27:52 AM »

*Sigh*

Might and Magic is one of my favorite RPG franchises.  It's sad to see Ubisoft beating it into the ground like this.

Granted, New World Computing wasn't doing much better... the various spinoffs in other genres (Crusaders of Might and Magic etc) didn't help, and especially it didn't help that the main series got ignored in favor of the Heroes spinoff series.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 11:49:19 AM »

I really like M&M7. I want ginf* M&M6 now since it's basically the exact same game (Hey. 4 and 5 were the SAME GAME TOO!!! I sense a trend here!?!?!?). They both got generally favorable reviews. Eight didn't, though, but I don't think it sounds too bad.

* Weird typo, there. Dunno what that means. Either "I want to find/I want to get." Not really sure.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 01:50:36 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
(Hey. 4 and 5 were the SAME GAME TOO!!! I sense a trend here!?!?!?).

You probably do.  There were major differences between 1 and 2, but you could argue that they were pretty similar.  And 3 used... the same engine as 4 and 5.

It doesn't surprise me that they later rereleased 4 and 5 as a single game.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 12:36:12 PM »

There's a demo out on Fileplanet. It weighs in at a hefty 1,5 GB.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 04:56:27 PM »

<rant>
So, played through the demo. It was pretty damn short (no more than 30 minutes), but I really liked what I saw. It's impossible to say how apt the comparison with Oblivion is, as the demo only contained two dungeons and no free-roaming gameplay to speak of.

The game really does take advantage of the source engine. Not only is the graphics great, the pyshics system comes into play as well. You can push enemies off ledges, throw barrels and crates at them and so on and so forth. Might sound like insignifcant things, but it looks cool and works very well.

My favourite part of the game, however, was just how visceral the combat feels. You can perform a variety of attacks with your weapons (and I'm assuming you will be able to learn even more in the full game), and they all look and feel great. In this respect the game is definitely a step up from Oblivion, which in my opinion is too "clean and clinical". In Dark Messiah you get to stab your opponents while they're lying down, not to mention chop them in half or cut their heads off.

And then there was the attention to detail. You can, for example, pretty much see all of your character's body (except for the head). Again, this adds a lot to the immersion factor. You can also do things like light your arrows on any of the flames/braziers that are scattered throughout the levels.

I also liked the skill system. It's not as in-depth or complex as the one in Oblivion, but I actually prefer this system. When you level up you get a number or skills points that you can assign to various skill trees, which will allow you to use new spells and abilities.

It wasn't all roses, though. The demo has some technical problems, but I'm not sure if it's the game's fault my computer's. The framerate can be a bit choppy, and occasionally I would have weird audio dropouts.

Also, I'm not too happy about the way your characters move. For the most part it's fine, but every time you start or stop moving you glide a little. A friend described it as "GREASE BOOTS!", which is a pretty good image. It's also disappoiting that there's not much in the way of inventory mangement. You can pick up  the weapons of your fallen enemies, but in demo they would automatically be added to a quickbar and there were no options to change equipment like armor etc. I'm also a bit disappointed that you can't create your own character.

But, all in all I was pleasantly surprised by the demo. Will certainly continue to keep my eye on this game. If you're at all interested in it, I would recommend that you download the demo. If you don't like Fileplanet you can always use PeerFactor (which I did and got 500-700k/sec) or FragZone.
</rant>
LoneVandal
Banninated

LoneVandal LoneVandal
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 11:35:42 PM »

Essentially you create your own character by the skills you pick.

I went with the "rogue" skillset and enjoyed watching my guy grab Orks from behind and shove his dagger in their neck then twist it.

Other options include mage-type / sword-type / archer-type / general endurance skills and new spells.

You aren't locked into any one path, you can spend your points however you want as you get them.  So this reminds me of Deus Ex in terms of letting you win fights how you want to.  Also I'm sure you never get enough points to have EVERYTHING, so there is replay value in the system as well.

wat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: