Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 06:26:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Obscure "Am I the only one who's played/heard of this?" games thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The Obscure "Am I the only one who's played/heard of this?" games thread  (Read 5367 times)
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »

Edit: I played Okage. It was a very enjoyable game, however, I did play it when I was younger so I can't say if I have rose tinted glasses on or not.
I can understand that. If I were to play it now, I think little things would bug me a lot more now, than they did before. Like mentioned here, the traditional turn-based thing is kinda hard to get into now, unless it has some special quirk to it. Well, in my case it doesn't NEED to have one, but the pacing of battles should be a little quicker. There's probably other examples where the game could get on my nerves this time around, but I haven't played it in so long.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 12:45:33 PM »

...didn't we already have one of these threads?

Not recently.  Couple years ago, maybe.  But even then, various topics come around.  In my years of being at RPGFan, I know I've started topics about video game burn out multiple times. 

And it's cool that I'm seeing people mention games I've never heard of before. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »

Edit: I played Okage. It was a very enjoyable game, however, I did play it when I was younger so I can't say if I have rose tinted glasses on or not.

Okage was fun.

Has anyone played Dragon Wars for PC/C64?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 04:19:07 PM »

Yes. Not really an obscure game, either.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 05:27:51 PM »

Castle of the Winds. Formerly shareware (now freeware) roguelike with tile-based graphics that allowed you to save your progress. Published by what is now Epic. First RPG I ever played.

...didn't we already have one of these threads?

I played that game, good stuff.

Umm, never played any real obscure games before... not sure if Exile counts as an obscure game. really enjoyed that game when I was a kid.

Wild, are you talking bout the Exile games that later became Avernum, or the Exile game that was for the BBCA/Amiga/Commoder 64/Atari ST, which wasn't an RPG but rather a fucking amazing puzzle/platformer/adventure game with physics?

He's talking about the Turbo-CD games localized by WD. http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/turbocd/home/589280.html

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »

I have no clue which Exile right now, I just remembered the name, that was all. I still have the old IBM 95 computer in my basement that still works and has the game. I'll check it when I get a chance. I just remember having a lot of fun.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 07:46:45 PM »

The most "obscure" game I can think of off the top of my head is Flying Warriors, a NES that was part platformer, part RPG, and part martial arts simulator.  I played the everliving fuck out of that game when I was a child.  I went back to play it 15 years later and thought it was pure shit. :P

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 09:25:12 PM »

I have no clue which Exile right now, I just remembered the name, that was all. I still have the old IBM 95 computer in my basement that still works and has the game. I'll check it when I get a chance. I just remember having a lot of fun.

You probably mean the Spiderweb series that later got remade as Avernum. I just found that sort of odd because the games aren't really obscure. They're actually one of the more well-known shareware PC RPG series although I get the impression they're a bit more well known on the Mac front.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 11:28:55 PM »

You probably mean the Spiderweb series that later got remade as Avernum. I just found that sort of odd because the games aren't really obscure. They're actually one of the more well-known shareware PC RPG series although I get the impression they're a bit more well known on the Mac front.

I'nm actually playing Avernum 5 right now. :)

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 12:35:51 AM »

Yeah see even Ramza knows about it, and he's been in cold-store in an underground cave in Bizarro Antarctica to keep his latent powers from destroying Tokyo 3 and holy shit I am so fucked up right now.

What's funny is that I don't have any Genesis/SNES/GB games that are really obscure, because I know they exist. I just don't HAVE any.

Ninja Taro is maybe the closest I have to a genuinely obscure GB game, although I'm pretty sure it's tangentially related to the Rolan's Curse games which are only mildly obscure. And, much like Rolan's Curse 2, I really like it for some completely inexplicable reason. RC1, though... not... not so much.

o/` I do not dream o/`

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 12:43:51 AM »

Ys: Ark of Napishtim and Musashi: Samurai Legend for the PS2 were awesome.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 02:02:14 AM »

The most obscure game I own is probably Forever Kingdom for the PS2. Can't say as though I have any comments since I don't remember anything about it other than that whole thing about all the characters sharing the same health bar.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 10:28:21 AM »

No Ys game counts as obscure.
I was quite into the turbografx back in the day, so most of my obscure games center around it.
I played and enjoyed both Exile I & II
Shape Shifter was interesting
Cosmic Fantasy 2 was the first(?) WD game. I actually played through it twice. I imagine If I played it now it would be total garbage. I still like how it ended, though.
I have an imported copy of Dracula X. Tough game with a kick ass ST.
And I swear I am the only one in the RPGfan community who ever mentions Dungeon Explorer II and it's incredible soundtrack. Can't believe you music people never mention it.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:04:17 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 05:44:11 PM »

Y's

...Y's?

To the normal gamer, some of the games I thought of will sound obscure, but I can't think of anything that at least one person on here won't know about.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »

My vote's for the PS2 Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land.

I'm sure someone here's played it, but overall, it's the most criminally overlooked RPG I've ever played. Great story, artwork, music, everything.

As for non RPGs, Xyanide.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: