Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:46:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Suggestions for import gaming
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Suggestions for import gaming  (Read 2119 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »

I've been playing Tales of Vesperia on my PS3 lately and have been really enjoying it.  I haven't quite finished it yet but I've sunk over 90 hours into it and I think I'm almost there.  This has been my first time playing that much of an RPG in Japanese and it's been a pretty positive experience so I've been thinking about tackling a different title when I'm done with this one.  But picking the right title is crucial, and I thought it would make an interesting topic of discussion.  Most of this will focus on somebody with limited but nonzero knowledge of Japanese (namely me) trying to play and actually understand the games in question.  I realize that there are some games out there with guides available that will let you bumble your way through but given that story is one of the major things I play RPGs for that doesn't really appeal to me.

My Japanese skill is at the level where I can understand most basic conversations just fine well but when more technical terms start getting used I can get lost pretty quick.   There have been times when I found myself looking up every other word, though thankfully that's not the norm.  Unfortunately my understanding of spoken Japanese exceeds my kanji knowledge by quite a bit (though I'm working on it...) so I depend heavily on voice acting.  Games that don't have voice acting are right out as it's pretty slow going for me.  Part of this experience is to improve my Japanese skills but I want to have fun while I'm doing it.  ToV is quite good in this regard.  While conversations with random townspeople aren't voiced all of the plot stuff and skits are.

I should note that while my ToV experience has been quite positive, I also picked up Ar Tonelico 3 around the same time and gave up on it after only playing for about 10 hours.  It's not that the game is bad or anything, but the sheer quantity of dialogue (should have seen that coming having played the first two games...) combined with the fact that much of it isn't voiced made trying to understand it slow and tedious for me.  Pacing is important.  If conversations go on for too long I can start to get frustrated, but if there is still lots of story but it's broken up between segments of gameplay I find it easier to tolerate.  When you have lot's of unvoiced conversations that force me to look up tons of words and just keep going and going...well, that's not fun anymore.  Also, the 'level' of the dialogue (and things like kanji usage) felt higher in AT3 than ToV.

Though I do want voice acting, I still prefer it to go along with old-fashioned text boxes for a couple of reasons.  First of all, since they automatically break up the conversation and prompt you to continue they make it easier to try and read along and not lose my place.  Also, having the text there is essential when I do need to look something up so I can be sure I got the right word.  With all the homophones in Japanese I need that check.  Having voiced cutscenes can work if subtitles are still available and they are pausable, but it's still just easier with good old text boxes.

Finally, I am really only interested in games that are available for platforms that aren't locked to a particular region.  The PS3 and PSP are fine for this, the PS2 is not.  I don't really want to deal with modding or anything like that.

So to summarize, the things I'm looking for are:
  • Good pacing between gameplay and story
  • Consistent voice acting for at least all major story sections
  • Textboxes or subtitles for all conversations
  • If there are cutscenes they need to be pausable
  • Available on a platform that doesn't require modding
  • It should also be a good game ;)

I keep mentioning ToV because it felt like about the right level for me and does all of the above right.  So another game of that ilk would be right.  Also, if a game is available (or will be available soon) in English, I would probably just go for the English version.  Playing a game in Japanese is still a lot of work for me so if I'm going to put that effort in I'd rather do it for something I couldn't play otherwise.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »

I know exactly how you feel, I'm in the same place of Japanese understanding as you are. I played FFXIII and Valkyria Chronicles in Japanese on my PS3. I still think about getting Vesperia for PS3 but I've already beaten it on my now dead 360, so it can wait.

One game I'm playing now in Japanese in Persona 3 Portable on the PSP. But I don't think this one is as friendly because considering you are on the same level as me, even though you van hear many things, I'm not so sure as reading a lot of text without any furigana, but since I already know the plot, it makes things easier.

Dragon Quest IX on the DS is complete with furigana, from beggining to end. But I honestly can't recommend you Dragon Quest. Even though there are lots of people that love I have lots of problems with the gameplay of the series.

The last one I remember right now is the new Disgaea on the PSP. Is's not an RPG, as it's a continuation of the last one you play as a prinny, but the game is great and full of dialogue! And fully voiced! I haven't played the new one, but the first one is a blast!

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:34:26 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Farron!  I was feeling sad that nobody had replied to my topic...

I didn't realize that Dragon Quest had furigana for all the kanji.  That's not something I've seen in any of the games I've looked at.  How common is that?

As for the Disgaea game, it sounds interesting but I believe that's being localized by NISA as Disgaea Infinite and is due out here fairly soon (June?) so I would probably just wait for it.

It's an older game, but I've heard really good things about Princess Crown on the PSP.  About the game, anyway, I don't know how it does as far as my understandability requirements go.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 01:02:42 AM »

Not to mention the fact that most of the best stuff of DQIX comes from the social asspect of it. You'll need at least a subway packed with other people, most of said occupants should own a copy of the game, and have them turned on (on a standby mode) to send your copy stuff and viceversa, to get a good portion of the extras.

It's just better to wait for DQIX to come stateside.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 01:57:32 AM »

I can't imagine ever being in that situation even if it does come stateside...

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:21:15 PM »

Basically my tl;dr is that the game was specifically designed to utilize the cramped urban spaces of Japan, and presents one of the biggest questions about the game. How will they substitute that part of the gameplay, or will we need events to gather enough DQIX owners together?

If you import DQIX then you'll possibly miss out on a more reasonable solution, or your import copy might not even play nice with the localized version. IOWs Wait.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »

I don't know how feasible it is with limited Japanese knowledge, but my favorite Japanese game that has pretty much no chance of ever being translated into English is Summon Night 3. Really excellent Strategy/RPG.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »

Iīd recommend any of the YS games for PC. The plot is not too deep,plus itīs pretty fun, and most of the events are voiced.
Even if you canīt manage to understand the game, you can always rely on some patches that are around the web.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »

Hmm, there are the PSP games too now actually, which aren't patchable but are notably cheaper than the PC titles are.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:11:36 PM »

Ah, I got one!

The Tales of Destiny remake for PS2.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 08:39:34 AM »

Since you seem to be enjoying Tales of Vesperia, dare I suggest Tales of Destiny II for the PS2? In my humble opinion, it`s by far the best game in the series and there`s a translation patch available for it that translates all the menus and items. And these days you don`t need a modded PS2 to play imports; as long as you have a decent PC that can handle PCSX2, you are all set.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 08:59:36 AM »

Since you seem to be enjoying Tales of Vesperia, dare I suggest Tales of Destiny II for the PS2? In my humble opinion, it`s by far the best game in the series and there`s a translation patch available for it that translates all the menus and items. And these days you don`t need a modded PS2 to play imports; as long as you have a decent PC that can handle PCSX2, you are all set.

It's on PSP as well, and PSP games aren't region coded. So that would be an easier legal option.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: