Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:24:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338111 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  North Korea tests long range missle, five short range.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: North Korea tests long range missle, five short range.  (Read 1721 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2006, 07:53:37 PM »

CNN news story.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 08:18:15 PM »

This started as "They tested one, but it wasn't long range."

Then "They tested two short range missiles."

Then "Three, one long range, which failed."

Now I'm reading FIVE missiles were launched. I guess the 4th of July party started early at the networks.

Oh, sorry! CNN's front page now says SIX. Five short range, one long range. Well, they officially bumped the shuttle off the headline.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 01:26:25 AM »

There's a ridiculous fucking double standard and hypocrisy running amok with this issue.

If I recall correctly (and I may not, so feel free to call me on it), India recently tested out a mid range missile which succeeded and nobody breathed a word about it. North Korea tests out some missiles, only one of which succeeded, and that one was a short range missile, and everyone's going ballistic. Watching the news now, Japan seems to be on emergency alert for a possible pre-emptive strike on North Korea. What the fuck.

Bullshit, is what this crap is.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 02:10:36 AM »

Or it's people getting paranoid about a fucking psychopath testing his missiles that he has joked about how far of a target he could hit. I dont blame Japan for being up in arms about this one....shit, the fucking UN should be shitting a brick right now.

India might have tested some missiles out, but their leadership isnt trying to start a pissing contest with the United States or rest of the world either.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 02:25:40 AM »

Yeah, what Dade said. North Korea is a threat to the asian region, and even North America. If it weren't for the warheads and missiles, US wouldn't give a damn about them. Let's just point out that North Korea is not exclusive in the "evil dictator making his people miserable" game. There are plenty, and I do mean, plenty of countries suffering in similar situations, around the world, at this very moment. The US jumps in affairs that either benefit or threaten them. They don't offer their assistance out of good will, to "liberate" peoples of a country. Sorry, I don't buy it. That is how I view America's stance.

Having said that, it's sad indeed. Since the people of South Korea are living comfortable lives, yet the people in North Korea are in a living hell, literally. All because of that jagoff, Kim Jong-Il.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 06:53:38 AM »

India did fire a missile into the Indian Ocean only to see it crash near islands which are part of its territory. If they had sent the missile in the direction of the Maledives for instance, then the government surely would have complained, regardless of that country's size.

Now, what the North Koreans did was an obvious provocation aimed first and foremost at the US, otherwise it would not have made any sense to launch the missiles on July 4th. But if the long-range missile launch had worked well, it might as well have flown over Hokkaido again (just like in 1998) before crashing into the Pacific. I'm the last guy who is in favor  hawks like Abe Shinzou, but that Japan is not pleased with being in the target range of those missile tests and now wants actions and not just words as a response is perfectly understandable.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 01:07:24 PM »

Allow me to sum up the collective conscious of the general populous:

Fuck Korea.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 04:18:41 PM »

Well North Korea anywho, I think South Korea is a little less...Kim Jong Il or however you say that little munchkins name.  Yeah, I how people are worried.  Like it was said above, theres a difference between a government testing missles, and a crazy lunatic dictator doing it.

And I agree for the most part about the US getting invoved only when it benefits or endagers them...but, isnt that a countries peragotive?  Protecting itself?  I mean...most other countries would do the same I think.  Its nice to think everyone only thinks about helping others (which the US still does even if it has ulterior motives) but there the survival instict, and greed, that still keep people thinking first and foremost about themselves.

Anywho...I dunno if a preemptive strike is necessary yet...but I guess all we can do is wait and see, and hope it doesnt turn out for the worst.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »

Tony's pretty close.

It's more than just the missile thing; I know a lot of you went to the thread regarding how the children of North Korea live their lives.

But yeah, Leyviur, the difference between India and North Korea in this instance is that India's missiles were launched toward practice targets that were part of its own territory. Korea's flew toward Japan.

I'm pretty sure if we did a nuclear missile test by say, launching one into Hudson Bay, Canada would be more than slightly peeved. :P

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 04:32:05 PM »

The only thing North Korea has accomplished with its missile launches is a return to a more aggressive rhetoric (and demands for sanctions) by Japanese neoconservatives like Koizumi's likely successor Abe Shinzou. Now Abe and others are already talking about the possibility of pre-emptive strikes again. And the unwillingness of China and South Korea to back up the offered carrots with sticks in their negotiations with North Korea, in combination with the populist South Korean president's harsh populist criticism of Japan today will only embolden neoconservatives in Japan. To think that one South Korean official today said that while North Korea is the most obvious threat to his country presently, in the long-term it's major enemy would be Japan, doesn't bold well for the entire region. One can only hope the conservatives win the upcoming elections against president Roh's populist Uri party in South Korea.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 04:58:37 PM »

To think that one South Korean official today said that while North Korea is the most obvious threat to his country presently, in the long-term it's major enemy would be Japan, doesn't bold well for the entire region.

Christ, talk about "trust no one". That mentality is not productive at the least. Japan is the last country I'd worry about. In fact, I'd put China above them.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: