Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:46:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 63770 times)
RpgN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: January 16, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »

The quests could make the experience less somewhat, they're pretty much fetch quests and too many thrown at you. They do have nice writing in them and you get nice rewards, I think it would be best to play as much as you want and skip the rest for playthrough B when you had enough. But you can't do quests from part 1 on playthrough B though.

The graphics are technically not good but they're functional, the game is more about style.

The game can feel repetitive and probably depending on how many side quests you do.

Also they could have made better use of magic, forcing you to switch between them and make them feel more useful but that's a very minor little con.

The reviewers compare the game more technically with other games and they don't seem to care about its charm, what it's trying to do, its story and localization. It's one of those games you'd have a lot of fun with and get reminded about ps1/ps2 games for some reason. Well at least I did.

I come in peace :)
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: January 16, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »

The quests could make the experience less somewhat, they're pretty much fetch quests and too many thrown at you. They do have nice writing in them and you get nice rewards, I think it would be best to play as much as you want and skip the rest for playthrough B when you had enough. But you can't do quests from part 1 on playthrough B though.

The graphics are technically not good but they're functional, the game is more about style.

The game can feel repetitive and probably depending on how many side quests you do.

Also they could have made better use of magic, forcing you to switch between them and make them feel more useful but that's a very minor little con.

The reviewers compare the game more technically with other games and they don't seem to care about its charm, what it's trying to do, its story and localization. It's one of those games you'd have a lot of fun with and get reminded about ps1/ps2 games for some reason. Well at least I did.

Thanks for the information!  I'm one of the few people left that doesn't care about graphics.  Sure, games that have great textures and draw distances wow me.  Actually I'll take that back, there is one game that has not aged well at all and that's the original MDK for the Playstation.  I went back to play it for nostalgia purposes and I got sick to my stomach!  I couldn't tell where in the hell I was going,lol.  Great game but horrible graphics but for its time it was well done.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
RpgN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: January 17, 2011, 04:51:45 AM »

You're welcome!

I'm not that bothered about graphics either, they're nice to have but I'd rather have the gameplay and the rest being good first and then the graphics. Oh and the game performing better as well before that, like loading, framerate, slick interface etc.

I come in peace :)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »

Nier Replicant blew Japanese gamers away. According to a Media Create study, expectations for Nier before it was released were at 28.1, making it the lowest game on the chart. After playing the game, Nier‘s satisfaction score skyrocketed to 48.7 with many people looking forward to buying the next game in the series.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/08/nier-and-kenka-bancho-4-soared-past-expectations-in-japan/

That's a neat chart, first time I've seen something like that.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: January 17, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »

I'm still not sure if I should get this game or not. :S

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: January 17, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »

Its 15bux on amazon and getting some high praise here.

Do it!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2011, 03:34:45 PM »

I'm still not sure if I should get this game or not. :S

You can get it for like $15 these days.  What reason is there to hesitate?

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »

Getting off topic a second.  What about The Last Remnant?  I heard if you install the game to the 360, almost all the flaws are gone?  Plus, it's only $16.50 on amazon.  I heard if you loved the SaGa games, this would be a good choice?  I'm thinking about buying it and NIER together.

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »

Getting off topic a second.  What about The Last Remnant?  I heard if you install the game to the 360, almost all the flaws are gone?  Plus, it's only $16.50 on amazon.  I heard if you loved the SaGa games, this would be a good choice?  I'm thinking about buying it and NIER together.

I enjoyed TLR, I played it on PC, it's not only superior in the technical department, there are some significant gameplay improvements too.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »

So, I should get it for the PC then?

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: January 17, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »

So, I should get it for the PC then?

Yup.

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: January 17, 2011, 05:01:01 PM »

Ok, thanks.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 17, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

Ok, thanks.

Seconding him. Seriously, there are so many improvements (well, some may be questionable) that it's pretty much no contest so long as you have a computer that plays Unreal Engine 3 games well; if you're not sure of that find a demo of Arkham Asylum or Unreal Tournament 3 and give them a shot. The only serious issue (that wasn't already present on the 360 version anyway) is that the controls don't seem to work out as nicely on a keyboard and mouse as on a 360 pad, but so long as you have a wired one or a wireless receiver that's not a problem either. Or a regular dual stick PC controller for that matter, it's not one of those dumb PC games that supports only the 360 pad or KB/M.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: January 17, 2011, 05:56:13 PM »

There's actually a PC demo of TLR too, though I wouldn't really recommend it other than to find out if it runs okay. It starts some way into the game with no explanation of the mechanics, which aren't exactly simple.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 17, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »

There's actually a PC demo of TLR too, though I wouldn't really recommend it other than to find out if it runs okay. It starts some way into the game with no explanation of the mechanics, which aren't exactly simple.

Man, I forgot about that. Yeah, try the demo to see if it runs acceptably (or the benchmark thing, but I'm sure the actual game's preferable), and if you're satisfied buy that version.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: