Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 03:37:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338464 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 65223 times)
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: May 03, 2011, 06:19:06 PM »

I picked it up today for $11.99 at Best Buy even tho I have Ar Tonelico Qugo and Hyperdimension Neptunia to start still.. I live in Florida and I get cabin fever here during the SUMMER so I am set with 3 RPGs to get me started.. lol

So far 4 hours in I really like it, the story, action and music are really standing out.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: May 03, 2011, 10:56:24 PM »

I was playing other games when Nier arrived.  I thought, "I'll just get Nier out of the way, because these other games are going to deserve my full attention."

Fuck other games.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: May 04, 2011, 12:07:29 AM »

I just bought Nier yesterday because the videos on Youtube sold me on it. You get to play as a papa bear dad? EXCELLENT.

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: May 04, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »

I have a crazy suggestion for the noob. Take a break between act 1 and 2. I think the game will have a better rythem if you do. You can easily play it in one swoop, but I think the things that kick off in act 2 will bbe more meaningful if you take a break.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: May 04, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »

I'm really glad that most people on this forum decided to give this game a chance. The fact that everyone loved it says a lot about it.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: May 04, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »

I'm really glad that most people on this forum decided to give this game a chance. The fact that everyone loved it says a lot about it.

I still need to give it a chance... once I get through my XBox backlog of course.

Still looks awesome.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: May 04, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »

It is one of the few games where I actually enjoyed the side quests. And the story telling is great so far, often the NPC's don't really have important info to divulge but I feel they add to the general ambiance of the game wonderfully. I'm @36 hours into it and trying to decide if I want to continue the main story or go trophy hunting some more. So far I've been doing a mainline quests every 2-3 days and just doing extras in between so I imagine the end is @ a week away.. And I do understand the complaints about the graphics but an hour into it I ignored the deficiency and felt that they added to the overall feel of the game wonderfully, can't wait for the end and at the same time I don't want to finish it...and wow, the ending to part one was awesome!!

Everything's Eventual
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: May 05, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »

If it's endings you want, it's endings you got... there are 4 of them. You start back at the midpoint.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
EquipableMoustache

to see...the...world.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: May 12, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »

Fuck other games.

That pretty much describes what I'm feeling right now.

So I have to thank all of you guys in this huge thread: you're the reason I decided to give this game a second chance. This game has been more emotionally affecting and, more importantly, emotionally challenging than any game I've probably ever played. And to think I had given up on it!

Around the time Patrick Gann's review went up, I decided to give this game a chance and GameStop had it for cheap. My first impressions were a mixed bag. Interesting storyline, characters, and visual design, but lackluster level design, gameplay, and OH MY GOD FETCHQUESTCITY! I made it to the boss of the Desert Temple, which had me stuck and I gave up on the game and went on to "greener pastures."

Cue a couple of weeks ago, where I suddenly found the "Song of the Ancients" jamming itself back into my brain. For some reason, I was missing this game! Then I re-read Patrick's review. Then I listened to the whole soundtrack on Youtube. Finally I hopped into this thread and read everyone's impressions (as well as the advice on being able to switch the difficulty without starting the game over!). Damn you all! ;)

I love this game! I beat that boss on the Easy setting and never looked back. I'm now going through the B scenario, and the game is just WOW. The worst thing about it is still the fetchquests, but the best thing I can say is that the game never makes me do them, and I like how just accepting them will often prompt fully-voiced discussions among the party.

It's weird though. I've been wanting a game to challenge me emotionally and force me to do things I'm not comfortable with for a long time. Now that I've finally found that in Nier's scenario B, I don't want to play it! Does the game ever stop being so soul-crushing? It's cool if the answer is no! :P

Currently playing: Nier (Scenario B)
--Thoughts about Nier: God I feel like a serial killer~
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: May 13, 2011, 05:38:24 AM »

The answer is no. The game definitely becomes more depressing in new game+.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: May 13, 2011, 09:11:09 AM »

The answer is no. The game definitely becomes more depressing in new game+.

Is it weird that this makes me want to play it more?

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: May 13, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »

Not at all, I feel the same way. The game has a certain emotional appeal. To me it was, in a weird way, a very refreshing game as opposed to so many sterile games that may look much better and even have more challenging game play aspects but are devoid emotion and incapable of drawing me in and keeping me hooked.

Everything's Eventual
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: May 13, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »

Cathartic as hell

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
xellos2099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: May 15, 2011, 01:50:04 AM »

Fuck other games.

That pretty much describes what I'm feeling right now.

So I have to thank all of you guys in this huge thread: you're the reason I decided to give this game a second chance. This game has been more emotionally affecting and, more importantly, emotionally challenging than any game I've probably ever played. And to think I had given up on it!

Around the time Patrick Gann's review went up, I decided to give this game a chance and GameStop had it for cheap. My first impressions were a mixed bag. Interesting storyline, characters, and visual design, but lackluster level design, gameplay, and OH MY GOD FETCHQUESTCITY! I made it to the boss of the Desert Temple, which had me stuck and I gave up on the game and went on to "greener pastures."

Cue a couple of weeks ago, where I suddenly found the "Song of the Ancients" jamming itself back into my brain. For some reason, I was missing this game! Then I re-read Patrick's review. Then I listened to the whole soundtrack on Youtube. Finally I hopped into this thread and read everyone's impressions (as well as the advice on being able to switch the difficulty without starting the game over!). Damn you all! ;)

I love this game! I beat that boss on the Easy setting and never looked back. I'm now going through the B scenario, and the game is just WOW. The worst thing about it is still the fetchquests, but the best thing I can say is that the game never makes me do them, and I like how just accepting them will often prompt fully-voiced discussions among the party.

It's weird though. I've been wanting a game to challenge me emotionally and force me to do things I'm not comfortable with for a long time. Now that I've finally found that in Nier's scenario B, I don't want to play it! Does the game ever stop being so soul-crushing? It's cool if the answer is no! :P

Well, the story in scenario B made the main character sto be the biggest dickhead in the muilt-verse. 
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: May 17, 2011, 07:04:28 PM »

Where are those Nier related announcements at?  I would be happy with DLC.

I wonder if playing Nier is like when people cut themselves, just for the feeling... I don't want to spoil anything, but the emotions at the end... It was like perfect misery.  I couldn't help but respect its perfection.

edit: Nier has a back massage and a happy ending

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: