Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 07:07:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341197 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 66267 times)
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2010, 11:52:17 AM »

I think it's safe to say that this game is a cult hit.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »

Finished my first playthrough, about 22 hours, only did 30% of the sidequests, some of them are way too much trouble, since items carry over it's probably easier on NG+ anyway.

I'm really impressed with the story and the way it's told. I never thought I'd care so much about these characters. Reading Kaine's backstory at the beginning of NG+ was pretty depressing, I'm actually glad that shit wasn't a cutscene.

Can't wait to see the other endings.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2010, 02:20:17 AM »

This game is an odd and rare gem.  Definitely not perfect - but definitely tells a good story.

I wouldn't worry too much about the quests; just worry (use a FAQ or something) if it involves a weapon.  Oddly enough, the strongest weapon can be bought.

A shame cavia is gone, but I will be interested if any of the lead-developers/producers or any of that whatnot go onto a new project.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »

Damn, the junk heap storyline in NG+ broke my heart. I actually feel guilty. Damn...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2010, 09:09:29 PM »

Damn, the junk heap storyline in NG+ broke my heart. I actually feel guilty. Damn...

ditto.

My review is coming in 24 hours. Or less. Sorry we took so long!

EDIT -- review is on front page. enjoy.

Here's one of dozens of reasons to enjoy this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu2NC88TYjI&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:37:29 PM by Ramza » Logged

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2010, 12:30:19 AM »

I love how that theme song and her little rant at the beginning...still...make sense some how...

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2010, 12:43:39 AM »

I honestly hope your review for the game silences those who ask, "I know you say its good..... but should I get it?"
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2010, 02:26:01 AM »

The game seems interesting and all, but I'm not a big fan of games that throw in characters that seem more like fan service then actually well thought out.
"We need a bad mouthed female character"
"How about we put her in undergarments?"
"You're a genius!"
Of course I haven't played this particular game so...
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2010, 02:45:34 AM »

OK, I've been waiting on actually picking Nier up because I was hoping to get it a big cheaper (just about everywhere I can find it is still selling it at full price), but I've been convinced.  Just ordered it.

Hopefully I can finish Deathspank before it arrives...and the Ys Seven is coming.  So many games...

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2010, 03:07:30 AM »

The game seems interesting and all, but I'm not a big fan of games that throw in characters that seem more like fan service then actually well thought out.
"You're a genius!"

Those were my thoughts before actually playing the game. However, the story made it clear why she is like that in a very convincing way. I still don't like how she was portrayed, but her character was actually well thought out.

I just finished reading the review and I too enjoyed the great boss fights, the excellent localization and the soundtrack's seamless transitions. 8-4 is one of the best when it comes to localization and is practically the polar opposite of Ignition. Playing Arc Rise Fantasia was like a wake up call, reminded me how crucial localization is to fully enjoying games, especially RPGs.

Cavia, may you rest in peace.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2010, 06:19:22 AM »

"You're a genius!"

You couldn't be more wrong with this statement.  Kaine has some excellent character development, in novel form, once you hit New Game+.  She's not just there for fanservice, though admittedly I thought she was at first, too.

Nier is a hard game to review, I think.  Looking at it from a purely objective standpoint, I don't think I could give it as high of a number as it was given here.  But I loved it so much more that if I were to review it, I'd probably review it more positively simply because, despite its flaws, it's an amazing experience.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2010, 07:10:34 AM »

"You're a genius!"

The game gives a wrong first impression on many levels and kaine's outfit is one of them. All I can tell you is to complete the game at least one time before passing judgement on it. And even then you won't have seen enough to fully grasp just how brilliant it is. Even the pacing of the story might seem a bit slow untill a boss fight that happens around the 10 hour mark but bare with it.

Anyway, I just finished reading the review, I agree with everything that was said. I tend to use 2 handed swords most though, they hit really hard and since the attacks are 360ļ they actually do a good job of protecting your flanks and rear despite being slow. Iím playing on normal and only died twice in actual fights, the game isnít hard at all, I wouldnít recommend the easy setting unless youíre a real noob with action games.

The gameplay is pretty solid, you really feel your sword hitting the enemies and thereís a good variety of spells to use. The physics feel very good. I enjoyed the brief 2D platforming sections (think wild arms 4 for reference). Though the game sometimes throws different gameplay elements at you these sections are very brief, donít let it scare you.

Doing all the sidequests can become very tedious because there isnít a huge variety of locations and enemies but if youíre going to get all the endings you can just do a few every playthrough so they become less of a chore. You can also just ignore them but some are very interesting and reveal very interesting bits of info about some NPCs and even the main characters. You also need all the weapons to watch endings C and D so doing a few sidequests will be required.

Bottom line, the awards for best soundtrack, best VA and best story as far as jrpgs of the current gen are concerned go to this game.

It can also be found very cheap, like I said I bought it new for 19.50 Ä.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:14:24 AM by CDFN » Logged

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2010, 07:15:48 AM »

There are many hilarious dialogues but I have to point out the one that happens between the MC and weiss when you get the sword from the younger brother in NG+:
Code:
MC: donít we already have a sword like this one?
Weiss: SSSSHHHH, these things can happen the second time around.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »

I think I've decided to get this game. Are there any differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? I'd probably get the PS3 one simply because I have more room on the hard drive.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »

I think I've decided to get this game. Are there any differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? I'd probably get the PS3 one simply because I have more room on the hard drive.

I think they're pretty much identical. Graphics are pretty basic. Don't let that bother you though, I'm a bit of a graphics whore and it didn't bother me at all, I think they do the job well.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: