Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 07:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327702 Posts in 13416 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 59637 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2010, 08:23:11 PM »

Anyone picking it up?

I grabbed it yesterday.  By the same loved/hated developers of Drakengaard (one of the rare occasions where the NA title sounds better than the JP one) comes this peculiar title.

One of the best known "features" the game offers is it's two "version" of the game, which is meant to respectively appeal to either asian or american markets.

Nier Gestalt - features a "caveman" trying to save his daughter from a disease
Nier Replicant - features a "pretty boy" saving his sister from a disease.

I'm surprised there isn't more commotion.  Frankly, a sociologist would have a field day.  But anyways; north american gamers are stuck with the beast-man.  Which I like better; I find the father-daughter relationship more endearing than a japanese brother-sister one.  But I digress.

I was a huge fan of the Drakangaard series, despite the fucked-up nature of its plot, so I had to give this game a run.
My review thus far is fairly mixed, much like the reviews so far.

As the Soundtracks Section on RPGFan stipulates; this game probably has one of the most impressive OSTs I've heard in a long, long, long time.  No track has been detestable so far; it is literally "music to my ears".

The story so far is extremely interesting; lots of questions, and a strange world you get thrown into.  Which is unfortunate, because reviewers (though I try not to listen) say its pretty "meh" later on.  Nevertheless, my interest is captivated.

The gameplay is extremely tough; or I just suck at this game.  I'm playing it on easy, and while I haven't died yet, I've come close a few too many times. =(
I personally find the game lacking a bit of fine-tuning too.  Battle sometimes feels a bit sloppy and sluggish; but the charging attacks and magic is a lot of fun.

I'm pretty on the fence about this game - but there is a strange draw to this game nonetheless that will have me keep going.  See if my opinion changes (I didn't like Resonance of Fate much when I started; but now I love it more than sliced bread).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:25:00 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »

Are the stories different?

Seems like another B-game from Cavia with a silly regional gimmick.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:40:53 PM »

The stories sound like they're largely the same, which actually bugs me the more I think about it. While I'd like to see older protagonists in Japanese games it's kind of undermined when you write it in such a way to safely swap characters for each region.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:09:24 AM »

I'm still looking for Sands of Destruction and Infinite Space. :(

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:47:22 AM »

I like older and more mature mains, but not grandpas. Our Nier looks like he should be in retirement. I'll probably pick this up eventually because I love the Drakengard games and Nier is set in the same world as the fifth ending of the first game, but the old man version is a big turn-off and the boxart is supreme fugly. Replicant would have been an instant buy.

Finished RPG Count: 90
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:35:44 AM »

I'm still looking for Sands of Destruction and Infinite Space. :(

Infinite Space is being a bitch to find, I agree.

Getting on topic, Nier seems interesting, and I may give it a rent in the future. Not too sure if I really want to purchase it as of yet.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:56:18 PM »

I'm enjoying this game the more I play it.  I always love action games that make magic synonymous with swordplay (as in, there's no menu's to deal with, and there is no delay when casting a spell).

Just ran into the hot hermaphrodite, Kaine.  I think I see her nipple.  But anyways.  She helped me out with a boss.  Yaaay!
One thing I love about her outfit is it covers a lot of the uneccessary parts of her body, but shows of what should be covered better.  Her ass crack is exposed, and her nipples are barely exposed.  You go girlguy; proving you don't need clothes to prove you're a hero.

I like Cavia; they're games don't emanate the "Square Enix Formula" that a lot of their games seem to give off.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »

So for those who've seen all the endings of this game (does anyone even have this yet?), is this as much of a massive troll on players as Drakengard was?

Also are any of the protagonists as awesome as Caim was (aside from Caim of course (or does he get punk'd again))?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »

This game is awesome. I feel much more connected with the characters in this game and the music is awesome.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »

I'm glad everyone else is noticing how good the music is. It has truly, truly blown me away.

I suspect this will be a more enjoyable game for me than either Drakengard. That won't be saying much though.

But I'm putting this on the backshelf *for now* to play Agarest. I want to see if the PR stunts Aksys pulled with the overt sexualization carries over into their localization. I doubt it will. But if it does, I might be into it. I know that might make me hypocritical when I put harsh judgment on NISA for pushing the sexuality in Ar tonelico 1 & 2 in their localizations ... but IMO Agarest isn't the kind of game I'd want to be a "purist" about, whereas Ar tonelico is.

...I guess that doesn't excuse the hypocrisy. :P

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 11:09:02 PM »

Just FYI, if anyone is thinking of picking this up, wait a few days and get it at K-Mart.  Apparently it's going to go on sale for like $45 this coming week.

The sale is also going to include a $30 sale for FFXIII, Darksiders, and a couple other games.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259769
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »

Just FYI, if anyone is thinking of picking this up, wait a few days and get it at K-Mart.

Well, if you still have a K-Mart locally anyway.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »

I find it strange that there isn't much talk about the game here...

I just finished the game yesterday, it took me 41 hours and a Quest completion percentage of 81%. First thing I thought the second I finished the game was buying the beautiful OST!!

The game isn't hard at all, especially when you take your time and do side quests. FF XIII for example is a much harder game, Resonance of Fate incomparably harder!! I have somethings to say that I don't think other FF fans will agree with, but know in advance that I used to be a huge FF fan, my favourites being FFIV, FFVI, FFVII and FFX...

First of all, the story is better than FF13! It wasn't the best story I've ever experienced, but I couldn't stop playing until I knew what the hell was going on. In FF13, the characters constantly forced their trivial emotions on you through cutscenes that felt stretched and sometimes unreasonable, and the plot was just all "sugar and rainbows" from my point of view. Nier however, never over stayed its welcome and kept the element of intrigue intact at all times. The story is mostly dark, sad and melancholic and the soundtrack definitely complements that approach. The main character is a father struggling to provide food and medicine to his sick daughter. I will not spoil anything, so in short, it's a good story with a subtle build that is more mature than any JRPG of late, but only doesn't reach perfect condition because of the quality control that keeps fluctuating, somehow making it feel rushed. I think the ending I got was "Ending B", and I was completely satisfied by that ending. While the credits kept rolling and the amazing main theme kept on playing, I started thinking about Nier 2's potential to be the perfect action RPG, only if Cavia got a fraction of the support and budget FF13 had, if ever there was a Nier 2 that is. btw, prepare for some surprises that catch you off guard!

The gameplay, while not completely polished, is fun in the purist fashion. The variety of gameplay mechanics kept things interesting, I've seen the game go from dungeon crawling to a 2D style platformer and then to a pure-text adventure accompanied with appropriate tunes all the way. This is definitely not a typical RPG, and it borrows ideas from other famous franchises while offering references that you can't miss. The battle system is a mixture of hack n' slash with magic use, both intertwining seamlessly. There is no targeting system (except for some magic spells), so everything depends on your control of the camera and direction. One thing I've noticed is that gamers from everywhere say that this game has a strange draw to it, once you start playing, it's hard to let go.

Graphically, FF13 is obviously a trillion times better than Nier. I started Nier the second I finished FF13 and it felt like going back to the PS2!! Visually, this game is a mixed bag, with 60% bland textures. But there are some areas and bosses that are brilliantly designed, and the game never falls apart because of this aspect.

Characters are excellent, and interactions between them are always fun! Even Kaine, the obvious fan-service character, surprised me with her unexpected back story. By now, you all know that she is a hermaphrodite, I don't want to spoil anything, but the story will elaborate on her struggles with different issues -like the aforementioned one- starting from her childhood. Voice acting is mostly on the money! Nier's voice is deep and fitting, Grimoire Weiss's is definitely a favourite with his witty remarks flying all around, and Kaine's is perfect for her role, even with that level of vulgarism.

Now lets talk about the soundtrack! It's an excellent blend of the industrial and the orchestral! You will have goosebumps listening to these tracks! Many if not most of them were infused with a choir performance that will simply blow away any of your expectations, let alone the unsuspecting such as my self. I was expecting something between mediocre and decent. What I ended up listening to elevated every scene and boss fight to a level of enjoyment and involvement I rarely feel these days. There are tracks that are just decent, but there is not a single bad one! FF 13 had my fav OST of the year, well, until this game came out. A certain song called "Song of The Ancients: Devola" is the main village theme in the game, and -get a load of this- it has no vocals unless you walk up to a fountain in the middle of the village and see the character named Devola sitting there singing, the closer you get to her the clearer you can hear the vocals. I spent a lot of time just standing there to listen to her. That was the first time it got to me that this game might actually have an awesome OST! That particular song has some significance you'll discover later. Overall, the OST is magnificent! I listen to a lot of music, and this OST definitely lacks complexity, to some it might even sound a little pretentious. But for some reason that simplicity is the backbone to the greatness of this soundtrack, it offers a genuine musical experience like no other.

Now you might ask, why do I compare this game to FF13 all the time? FF13 is a good game! A great OST, excellent battle system and a decent story, but to put it simply, I finished FFXIII 5 days ago, after a month of on and off gaming, I just never felt the urge to keep on going, battle after battle with no variation at all, and then came the ending like that... I felt nothing watching the ending, not satisfied, not dissatisfied, just looked at the clock to see if I still had time to try out Nier, I never slept that night...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:15:40 PM by hell_snake » Logged

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »

There's no reason to compare Nier to Final Fantasy 13
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »

There's no reason to compare Nier to Final Fantasy 13

A juggernaut that came out after 4 years of wait and a game I only knew existed a couple of months ago, played back to back. Couldn't possibly stop my self from comparing them. Hilariously sad results though...

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: