Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 05:33:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330104 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 61215 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 10:50:23 PM »

There's no reason no to compare any two games, so long as you feel the comparison adds something of value to the discussion.

Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 12:18:55 AM »

Everyone just uses FFXIII as a standard to hype up another game, it's an easy target. I can think of a few Resonance of Fate reviews that were like, "FFXIII was a huge disappointment, but thankfully RoF..." blah blah blah.

I'm looking forward to playing Nier very soon.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 12:21:35 AM »

It's understandable now really, the game just came out and here are other alternatives that have come out shortly before and after the game. It's when reviews, say, tell you to check out an RPG to tide you over for the next Final Fantasy even when it's a year or more away that are aggravating.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:39:01 AM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 02:59:07 AM »

There's no reason to compare Nier to Final Fantasy 13

I suppose, but any game that comes out around the same time become instantly compared, in concern for the gamer's $$.

Pretty much everything that hell snake says.

If there is one thing worth comparing FF13 and Nier; you're at least not limited to a battle system as your sole means for entertainment.  And "quests" don't involve battles and item gathering *from* those battle.  Fortunately, Nier is much more open-concept.
But hell, if you don't want to compare FF13 and Nier.  Compare it to Odin Sphere; where battle and (brief) customizations make the entire game.

If you're asking whether or not you should get the game, consider the following:
Nier essentially lacks what FF13 has, and vice versa.

Without going into detail (it's 3am in Canada), there's two reasons why...
FF13 is polished; Nier ain't.
FF13 is linear; Nier isn't
FF13 has very little replay value (to each his own), Nier offers several endings

Eitherway, I'm enjoying the game a lot. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 03:12:34 AM »

There's no reason to compare Nier to Final Fantasy 13

A juggernaut that came out after 4 years of wait and a game I only knew existed a couple of months ago, played back to back. Couldn't possibly stop my self from comparing them. Hilariously sad results though...

Completely irrelevant results coloured by fannishness. Please clean that up.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 05:31:33 AM »

I don't know why, but this thread turned from a "Let's talk about Nier" thread into a "How childish of someone to compare two different games!"...

Yeah, I see a lot of FFXIII comparisons, and I also sometimes cringe at them, but you guys could've easily skipped the comparison parts if you found them endangering your intelligence. It's understandable for "contributers" who never tried the game to have nothing better to contribute.

I compared them based on a whim, that's how I felt and that's my opinion. I knew there will be some backfire, but not of this magnitude... Now, excuse my "fannishness" and please... move on.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 07:05:42 AM »

It's when reviews, say, tell you to check out an RPG to tide you over for the next Final Fantasy even when it's a year or more away that are aggravating.

Wild Arms reviews used to be like that, particularly in the PlayStation era.  "If you want a good RPG to tide you over until Final Fantasy VII, then Wild Arms is your best bet."  Thing is, I've known people who loved Wild Arms, traded up for FF7, hated FF7, and then traded it back for another copy of Wild Arms. 

Of course, I find it interesting that the Square Enix RPGs people are going, "Wow, that's neat!" about lately are stuff from other development houses, like Jupiter's The World Ends With You and, in this case, Cavia's Nier. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 08:41:03 AM »

I hope I'm not the only one to say this but this is one of my favorite Square Enix (after merger) titles (not including Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile, other favorite is Kingdom Hearts 2).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 01:19:58 PM »

Wait... is this even a rpg?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 02:26:51 PM »

Wait... is this even a rpg?

you gain levels n shit....?

PS: The first...20 odd seconds when you boot this game up rocks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:51:48 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 11:56:26 AM »

I actually thought this was a DMC clone so I was confused when I saw this in the rpg forum. The OP makes it sound like the best game ever. The reviews I read were pretty average. I still don't get why you would compare this with FF13 and not with pretty much everything else out there though.

What the hell:

GoW3 is linear, FF13 is too.
GoW3 has platforming and puzzles, FF13 only has fights.
GoW3 is polished, FF13 is too.
GoW3 is third person, FFXIII is too.

Man, I can't believe how incredibly similar these 2 games are! Wow! Now I feel like I bought the same game twice!

Code:
Just kidding, carry on

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »

Here is how you get all four endings:-  ** NO SPOILERS INVOLVED **

Once you finish the game the first time, the game tells you "You have unlocked Ending B" and then prompts you to save.The letter "A" appears on that save file, meaning you got ending A. If you load that save file, you will start halfway through the game. Finish it the second time for ending B... Rinse and repeat for endings C and D. However, ending C requires you get all weapons in the game (not sure about that), and then ending D will ask to "delete all your save files" or so I heard...

For some reason I thought the choices in the game had something to do with the endings, I was wrong. I'm not sure what significance those choices have though.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:25:43 PM by hell_snake » Logged

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 12:21:04 PM »

So I just checked the gaf thread and I'm curious, is this one of those cases where a game with little hype gets blown way out of proportion or is it really a very good game?
These days going into a thread of a low profile game spaming posts like "OMG buy this fucking game", "My GOTY!!!!" or "game of the gen!!!" apparently gives you street cred (or net cred) so I ask the almighty rpgfan community: "Is it really that good?"

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »

So I just checked the gaf thread and I'm curious, is this one of those cases where a game with little hype gets blown way out of proportion or is it really a very good game?
These days going into a thread of a low profile game spaming posts like "OMG buy this fucking game", "My GOTY!!!!" or "game of the gen!!!" apparently gives you street cred (or net cred) so I ask the almighty rpgfan community: "Is it really that good?"

It's a really good game, if you can tolerate the obvious flaws of course. It's not GOTY material, but it definitely deserves a try at least and has "fan favourite" written all over it. The only game this gen that I went "OMG!! Buy this freaking game!! GOTY!!" for was Demon's Souls back when the Chinese release was the only choice for us English speakers. Every single person I've spoken with wasn't expecting this game to be this engrossing. Not being hyped at all could be another reason.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:14:33 PM by hell_snake » Logged

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 02:30:04 PM »

I'm in my 2nd playthrough right now to get ending B, and I discovered that there are a lot of new cutscenes, new dialogue segments, and even new text adventures. These additions elaborate on the revelations from ending A, as well as explain the Shades' side of the story.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: