Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 07:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335204 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 64152 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 06:24:30 AM »

To be fair FFXIII didn't bother with fishing because all the fishing experts were run out of Squeenix during the development of FFXII's fishing minigame. After that they shoehorned some generic fishing rods into the main set and left the game with a big empty feeling in the middle of the sidequest, and so on and so forth...

This doesn't work because we weren't speaking in metaphors in the first place.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2010, 06:55:28 AM »

To be fair FFXIII didn't bother with fishing because all the fishing experts were run out of Squeenix during the development of FFXII's fishing minigame. After that they shoehorned some generic fishing rods into the main set and left the game with a big empty feeling in the middle of the sidequest, and so on and so forth...

This doesn't work because we weren't speaking in metaphors in the first place.

From this post I can discern that you either don't know about FFXII's fishing minigame (and yes there is one), have no sense of humor, or should quit your trollin'.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »

From this post I can discern that you either don't know about FFXII's fishing minigame (and yes there is one)

. . . Really? Man, I don't remember that at all, I just figured you were using "fishing" as a metaphor for gameplay there, my bad.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »

From this post I can discern that you either don't know about FFXII's fishing minigame (and yes there is one)

. . . Really? Man, I don't remember that at all, I just figured you were using "fishing" as a metaphor for gameplay there, my bad.

Yup, it really has one. It's not exactly the best fishing game ever though.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2010, 02:03:35 AM »

It does include a cameo from Gilgamesh though (and you need to complete it if you want to get Edrick's Sword).

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:07 AM »

It does include a cameo from Gilgamesh though (and you need to complete it if you want to get Edrick's Sword).

Yeah, I know, I did everything there was to do in that game. Longest playthrough of a game ever for me. That's why I never touched it again, I spend so much time in all those areas that I really grew tired of them. And there isn't much of a story going on either so it's not even worth it for the cutscenes. This is why I'll eventually replay FFXIII at least untill chapter 10, you never get a chance to see all those places again and can't watch the cutscenes in a theater like in X.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2010, 05:09:42 PM »

for people REALLY into this vocal-heavy soundtrack, here's a crazy-long interview with Emi Evans, who sings in English, French, Gaelic, Japanese, and a bunch of made-up derivatives of those languages in NieR.

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=9629&cpage=1#comment-8238

I'll have to check out that interview. The soundtrack in this game is really amazing. There are only a few tracks in it  that i don't really like.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »

It's selling for 14.98 here: http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PlayStation-3/Action-Adventure/Nier/~r342310/?s=NIER

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 02:05:53 AM »

HMMM!!
Somewhat spoilers?  Drakengard connections?

With the DLC and the *rare* "black" loading screen (of all things) - I think the 5th ending of Drakengard (again, of all things) actually ties into this game.
Got the second ending.  Poor Shadey bastards - thye just couldn't catch a break.

This game is another one of those "connect the dot" stories - where story-vital dialogue is said in a cutscene once and may never be referenced again.  This also marks the first time a loading screen has ever helped to shed some light of plot detail.  Minor detail, but detail nonetheless.

Oh, Cavia.  You sure know how to make a chaotic, fucked up, tossed up, creepy, eerie setting and storyline!
I don't know about you - but the end chapters of Drakengard 1 scared the piss out of me and made me want to never have kids.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 01:45:26 AM »

Since I'm hopelessly obsessed with this game, I purchased the addon Vessel of the World Recycled and I have to say it's one of the hardest things I've ever played. I'm hoping it's because of my level (started over because I missed some stuff after checking out the guide). For some reason it's giving me the old school Ghouls 'N Ghosts vibe- you know, insane difficulty and memorization of mob patterns. Haven't gotten very far in it but it seems interesting and being able to play the Nier Replicant skin is kinda cool. Highly recommended if your a fan of the game and like your add-on content tough as nails. Supposedly it's got 3 new weapons and new costumes for all the characters. It's a bit pricey for an addon at $7 on PSN but that's probably just the Square Enix tax. Anyway, the nice thing is you can access the addon anytime during regular gameplay by reading your wife's diary in your house. Dying just drops you out of dream state. There is no continue. I haven't gotten far enough into it to find any save locations, though I doubt there is, since it seems to be more a test of survival.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 10:52:37 PM »

I don't know about you - but the end chapters of Drakengard 1 scared the piss out of me and made me want to never have kids.

Hear hear! I wish Drakengard 2 had gotten that batshit scary/crazy.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 05:00:56 AM »

I wish I had the heart to play through Drakengard. The combat is like Dynasty Warriors-lite and the Drakengard world must have a lot of fog because it's all I see while playing.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »

Well I will admit that the lack of giant maneating nekkid space babies and their giant nekkid preggers momma who can only be brought down with a two tone song and absurd reflexes was sorely missed in Nier but other than that it was a game worthy of the title of Drakengard 2 (and by that I mean that no other game has the right to call itself that which is fine because no other game like that ever existed in the first place and never will).

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2010, 12:38:18 PM »

I thought the cracking blue sky turning blood red, and the weird time distorion enemies were enough.  Things got pretty chaotic in both games.  Cavia is good at making games with that "apocalyptic" feel.
Nier is no different - everything seems like its going wrong.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »

Anyone else sickened by the sheer amount of negative word-of-mouth press for this game? It also seems to be pouring out of those who haven't even played it yet...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: