Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 02:31:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331910 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 62222 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2010, 09:18:22 PM »

Anyone else sickened by the sheer amount of negative word-of-mouth press for this game? It also seems to be pouring out of those who haven't even played it yet...

I noticed that.

Pro reviewers seem to *hate* this game.  Normal, at-home gamers adore it to some extent.
The game is by no means good...but by god is it addictive.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:27 PM »

To be honest, I had basically zero interest in this game until after reading reviews.  It just wasn't on my radar screen, but now I find it fairly intriguing (though I still haven't bought it...no shortage of titles to keep me busy right now).  It's gotten some low scores, to be sure, but I've never put much faith in scores.  Actually reading the reviews paints a pretty different picture.

It seems to me that mainly the game is getting slammed for its graphics (and a certain Joystiq editor's inability to find an X on a map), which is understandable I suppose but reviewers place way too much importance on graphics these days.  There are also a few control issues, but it seems to me that the gameplay, story, and of course the soundtrack have gotten a ton of praise.  And those just happen to be the three things I care about most in a game...

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2010, 04:09:00 AM »

This is one of those games I wouldn't be able to give a high score to, but it is still excellent   I came into Nier with extremely low expectations because of the many bad reviews and was overwhelmed at how much better it was than was made out to be.  As the saying goes, the game is greater than the sum of its parts.

The flaws are definitely there, but overall I find the game fun enough and the storytelling is excellent.  Also, the music and voice acting is astounding.  Liam O'Brian's Wiess is absolutely brilliant.  I'm definitely enjoying it, but if I don't think I could give it higher than a 7 or so.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2010, 04:41:33 AM »

To be honest, I had basically zero interest in this game until after reading reviews.  It just wasn't on my radar screen, but now I find it fairly intriguing (though I still haven't bought it...no shortage of titles to keep me busy right now).  It's gotten some low scores, to be sure, but I've never put much faith in scores.  Actually reading the reviews paints a pretty different picture.

It seems to me that mainly the game is getting slammed for its graphics (and a certain Joystiq editor's inability to find an X on a map), which is understandable I suppose but reviewers place way too much importance on graphics these days.  There are also a few control issues, but it seems to me that the gameplay, story, and of course the soundtrack have gotten a ton of praise.  And those just happen to be the three things I care about most in a game...

qft! sums up my opinion of the game exactly.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2010, 05:00:05 AM »

There are more problems than the graphics and controls.  My main problem with the graphics is that there are some severe FPS drops later on when there's a lot of enemies on screen.  Even when you're not fighting, in some sections.  For example, in "Part 2" in the Northern Plains there are enemies that will fight each other.  I was across the map (which is moderately sized) and I was still lagging badly and the graphics were grainy even though I had absolutely nothing to do with the fight between NPCs on the other side.

Also, the pacing is horrible.  The story goes from required fetch quests to backtracking through those same dungeons over and over again. Every dungeon in the game is explored at least twice, with very few changes in-between each visit.  The side quests are abominations and are the worst kind. They're all fetch quests that require backtracking and/or killing hundreds of enemies for items.  I think one quest took me 3 hours of killing to get enough drops for.

Other than that, both the enemy and ally AI is very bad and the lack of any true "quick travel" really hurts the game.  Even when you do get access to a ship for faster traveling, you still have to walk through large open areas filled with enemies to reach the town you want to visit. 
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2010, 03:20:32 PM »

There are more problems than the graphics and controls.  My main problem with the graphics is that there are some severe FPS drops later on when there's a lot of enemies on screen.  Even when you're not fighting, in some sections.  For example, in "Part 2" in the Northern Plains there are enemies that will fight each other.  I was across the map (which is moderately sized) and I was still lagging badly and the graphics were grainy even though I had absolutely nothing to do with the fight between NPCs on the other side.

Also, the pacing is horrible.  The story goes from required fetch quests to backtracking through those same dungeons over and over again. Every dungeon in the game is explored at least twice, with very few changes in-between each visit.  The side quests are abominations and are the worst kind. They're all fetch quests that require backtracking and/or killing hundreds of enemies for items.  I think one quest took me 3 hours of killing to get enough drops for.

Other than that, both the enemy and ally AI is very bad and the lack of any true "quick travel" really hurts the game.  Even when you do get access to a ship for faster traveling, you still have to walk through large open areas filled with enemies to reach the town you want to visit. 

I know exactly what you mean with the slowdown, the music almost came to a screeching halt as I made a mad dash for the nearest (no pun intended) save point out of fear the game was crashing and I had not save in a good while.

I'm not too sure if I agree with you on the pacing though, you could easily ignore the side-quests and chew the meat and potatoes only. The game had some really beautiful set pieces and the music made me not care about running through a dungeon the second time. All I know is that I couldnt put the game down because I always wanted to know what was going to happen next, which to me, meant the pacing was fine.

No quick travel kinda sucked but you run at a maniacal pace so that didnt bother me too much either.
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2010, 02:43:09 PM »

I saw this really cheap at http://www.zavvi.com/offers/mega-monday/games.list (Under 20 after shipping price). But I was too late and it got sold out. I'll keep an eye on the next monday sale, it might be back to the low price when they get more stock. Just a heads up for those interested :)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2010, 02:27:31 PM »

So, did anyone buy the dlc? I'm just getting started with the game and though I'm enjoying it the dlc is pretty expensive, I doubt it's worth it.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2010, 01:37:07 AM »

The DLC was fun.  I enjoyed it, but I don't think it is probably worth the cost.  The remixed music, however, is excellent and arguably reason enough to buy the DLC. It's 15 levels, most of which are more challenging than what is in the main game.   The graphics and music are distorted and the "story" is somewhat twisted, so it has an interesting atmosphere.

If you like to finish your games 100%, the DLC will make it easier since it makes a few really rare items used in Weapon Upgrades more readily available.

There are also alternate costumes, which are cute.  The magic balls thrown at you from enemies turn into Emil heads whenever you have the costumes on, as well.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »

Thanks for the input Cyril.
This game has one seriously amazing soundtrack.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2010, 09:29:41 PM »

The DLC was fun.  I enjoyed it, but I don't think it is probably worth the cost.  The remixed music, however, is excellent and arguably reason enough to buy the DLC. It's 15 levels, most of which are more challenging than what is in the main game.   The graphics and music are distorted and the "story" is somewhat twisted, so it has an interesting atmosphere.

If you like to finish your games 100%, the DLC will make it easier since it makes a few really rare items used in Weapon Upgrades more readily available.

There are also alternate costumes, which are cute.  The magic balls thrown at you from enemies turn into Emil heads whenever you have the costumes on, as well.

How much does the DLC scenario cost? Also, in what way is the music remixed?

And yes, like everyone has said many many times, this soundtrack is ridiculously good. As you may notice, I list in my "game of the year" awards each year a soundtrack of the year.

It is unlikely that anything will top Nier in 2010.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »

How much does the DLC scenario cost?

Something like $7 I think...

Also, in what way is the music remixed?
Kinda Oontz~Oontz~Lalala of songs in the game.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2010, 06:56:46 AM »

How much does the DLC scenario cost? Also, in what way is the music remixed?

And yes, like everyone has said many many times, this soundtrack is ridiculously good. As you may notice, I list in my "game of the year" awards each year a soundtrack of the year.

It is unlikely that anything will top Nier in 2010.

Here, have a somewhat low quality Youtube version of it. It's heavily cut and you don't hear everything, but it gives you an idea of what it sounds like. It's also fast-forwarded to cut down the video time, so some of the songs are faster than how they "really" sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7xs_jXVM0A

It's not as nice on the ears as the main soundtrack, but it fits the atmosphere.  I'm a fan of the Song of the Ancients/Fate remix (~6:00 on the above movie), personally. I am not sure if you can buy the DLC music anywhere, but if you can, point me to it.  I downloaded a 16 minute mp3 of the DLC music after hearing it while playing the DLC, but I really hate to just "download" and not own it.  The Nier soundtrack is one of the first soundtracks in years that I went out and ordered within the first two hours of playing the game.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:02:09 AM by Cyril » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2010, 07:07:12 AM »

Here, have a somewhat low quality Youtube version of it. It's heavily cut and you don't hear everything, but it gives you an idea of what it sounds like. It's also fast-forwarded to cut down the video time, so some of the songs are faster than how they "really" sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7xs_jXVM0A

It's not as nice on the ears as the main soundtrack, but it fits the atmosphere.  I'm a fan of the Song of the Ancients/Fate remix (~6:00 on the above movie), personally. I am not sure if you can buy the DLC music anywhere, but if you can, point me to it.  I downloaded a 16 minute mp3 of the DLC music after hearing it while playing the DLC, but I really hate to just "download" and not own it.  The Nier soundtrack is one of the first soundtracks in years that I went out and ordered within the first two hours of playing the game.

at first, this music made me think of that one song in a strange way
and we still don't have a review for this game?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »

I can't believe I almost missed out on this and ROF because of bad press. It's a good thing forums like this one exist.

Haven't finished my first playthrough yet but here are some thoughts:

More monsters would have been nice, the game needs more variety, you spend the whole game fighting pretty much the same monsters. Some of the boss fights are fucking epic though (like GoW epic).

Graphics won't blow your mind but do their job well.

Kaine's outfit is ridiculous, when my wife saw her on the screen she was like "WTF?"

It can't be said enough, the soundtracking is amazing, breathtaking, a masterpiece.

The characters are great and the story is very interesting, it slows down a bit somewhere between the 5-10 hour mark but bare with it, you wont regret it. You will witness some truly memorable and touching moments.

Weiss' VA did a brilliant job, one of the best VAs ever for me. VA overall is very good. Some lines are brilliant, pretty much every dialogue between weiss and kaine is hilarious.

Considering the game can be found cheap now (I got it for 19,5 euros) I honestly think that nobody will regret buying it. It's really good.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: