Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 08:05:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327918 Posts in 13426 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 59800 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2010, 08:56:46 PM »

What CDFN said.

In Japan they had the Gestalt/Replicant variations, where you could play as a young guy instead of old man. Those variations were split by console. We only got Gestalt version.

Apparently the Replicant version outside the Gestalt version 2-to-1 in Japan.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2010, 02:20:18 AM »

What CDFN said.

In Japan they had the Gestalt/Replicant variations, where you could play as a young guy instead of old man. Those variations were split by console. We only got Gestalt version.

Apparently the Replicant version outside the Gestalt version 2-to-1 in Japan.

A shame since the daddy's little girl thing is quite endearing.
The bro-sis deal is a bit too Japanese for me... I can hear Yonah cry: "Oniiiiii-chaaaaaaaaan!!! <3"

I do agree that young Nier look better, but I hate him before the "costume change".

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2010, 11:41:11 AM »

Got ending B. I collected all the weapons during this playthrough so C and D should be really fast now. I'm going to take a break from the game before I tackle those though.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »

Started playing this weekend and I'm really enjoying this game.  My one real complaint are the repetitive sidequests.

Is it true that getting ending D erases all of your saved data?  That seems kind of messed up.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2010, 01:06:43 PM »

Started playing this weekend and I'm really enjoying this game.  My one real complaint are the repetitive sidequests.

Is it true that getting ending D erases all of your saved data?  That seems kind of messed up.

It's true, but there's a very good reason for it.  The game also warns you (multiple times) that your data will be gone, so you can't just do it "accidentally."  It only deletes all of the data under the one character's name, so if you have a save file with two character names (IE Nier1 and CharacterA) only one would be deleted.  Also, it doesn't delete your DLC or install.

I finished 100%-ing the game and then got Ending D.  It was completely worth it to me and was very satisfying. Ending D was, in my own opinion, the happiest of the bunch.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:09:13 PM by Cyril » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »

Started playing this weekend and I'm really enjoying this game.  My one real complaint are the repetitive sidequests.

Is it true that getting ending D erases all of your saved data?  That seems kind of messed up.

Back up your saves to a usb drive. Remember to remove it from the console before watching it.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lost Planet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2010, 05:51:51 AM »

Ill pick this up this week , ive first got Red Dead but i was dissa pointed so its going for the trade at the gamestore :)

I was a fool not getting this in the first place,sadly it will mark the end of Cavia *sob
eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »

I just read through the review and I agree with everything you said. It's a sad day indeed when these so-called "reviewers" are so superficial that anything with shiny colours gets a 9+ in score. I imagine it's more complicated then that (what isn't?) but it's no excuse.

Regardless, and you'll excuse me if I have said this before (I simply cannot remember), Nier has to be one of the greatest games I've played. Fetch-quests aside, it was fantastic. And unlike you, I mostly used spears and two-handed swords when dealing with crowds. I must admit that when I read that Cavia were changing the protagonist into a more westernized character I was quite angry. But honestly after playing through the game I must admit it was a stroke of genius. After all, how many games focus on the relationship between a father and his daughter? In addition to that making the character look like this, old, worn-down man trying to save his daughter even to the point of neglect, it made it so much more real. The main character became a much more unique character if you will.

Dunno, I loved it.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2010, 05:47:35 PM »

Got ending B. I collected all the weapons during this playthrough so C and D should be really fast now. I'm going to take a break from the game before I tackle those though.

Those key stone titles finally make sense the second play through too.  I still don't understand the story behind the beast at the Aerie (sphere one).  The Loyal Guardian, The Memory Tree, The Law of Robotics...and forgot the last one.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2010, 03:40:38 PM »

As with FFXIII where it is essential to read the in-game datalog and the prologue to fully understand the story, with Nier it really helps to check out this:

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgvmkf89_228fxgghgg3

It's a fan translation of a book that AFAIK is only available in japanese. The whole story, including the huge chain of events that leads to the start of the game is explained in detail. But that's not all, there are several short stories that take place during and after the game that are a real treat to anyone that loves the game and its characters.
Don't even think about clicking the link before getting all the endings.
Be sure to check it out.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »

As with FFXIII where it is essential to read the in-game datalog and the prologue to fully understand the story, with Nier it really helps to check out this:

It's a fan translation of a book that AFAIK is only available in japanese. The whole story, including the huge chain of events that leads to the start of the game is explained in detail. But that's not all, there are several short stories that take place during and after the game that are a real treat to anyone that loves the game and its characters.
Be sure to check it out.

Yeah, I'm pretty upset about this book not being released "officially" in English. I'd like to own it.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »

Be sure to check it out.

Yeah, I'm pretty upset about this book not being released "officially" in English. I'd like to own it.

Yeah, I'd definitely buy it, specially if it has some nice artwork. I'm glad someone bothered to translate it though.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2010, 09:13:49 PM »

Be sure to check it out.

Although to sum up the extra details from the book. It basically states that humanity is completely fucked yet again. Dammit Red and Caim.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2010, 12:40:25 PM »

Man, those short stories are crazy. I wish I didn't read kaine's, I can't get that image out of my mind.

The junkheap brothers subplot is some seriously heavy shit, here are a few details you might've missed if you didn't complete certain sidequests or didn't read the grimoire:

Code:
The owner of the tavern at seafront is their father. Watching those kids going through all that shit and then realizing that pissed me off.
The older brother saw his mother having sex with the pimp.
The older brother tried to cut his brother's legs off so he would be easier to watch.
During that cutscene where the older brother dies the younger brother actually ripps his arm off when trying to pull him out of the debris. Later in the game you see that he has a mechanical arm though it's never mentioned specifically. What happened was that he was feeling guilty and decided to cut his own arm too.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »

Be sure to check it out.

Yeah, I'd definitely buy it, specially if it has some nice artwork. I'm glad someone bothered to translate it though.

This is also most likely the most depressing thing I've ever read in my entire life.

Cavia seemed to have a good way with words, especially when  it comes to some of the morbid stories behind the weapons.  The only problem, Drakengaard too, was it was such a pain to level all the weapons for these tales.

Code:
It quite heavily details each of the endings, the past plot, the relation to Drakengard, and (worst of all) the would-be epilogue of the game... essentially, Nier's quest is in vain, and humanity is set to become extinct with the murder of Shadowlord and Dev/Popola
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:52:06 PM by Dice » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: