Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 11:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335179 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 64123 times)
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2010, 11:40:52 PM »

I miss Cavia already. Let's play this for Cavia's imaginary funeral:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWlCK11qEBg

Is there any hope for a Nier 2?

Gamasutra: It's interesting to see that Nier has become a cult hit in America; it's not exactly a huge game, but it's got some buzz. The New York Times wrote a review calling attention to how great the story is. Did you expect that kind of reaction, and are you satisfied with the title?

YW: Yes, I thought it would be a cult hit, but I'm saying this as a gamer -- not as the president of the company. As a CEO, my instruction was to make it a major hit. But this Nier team, they just do cult hits. (laughs)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5892/square_enix_in_2010_president_.php?page=3

Guess not :'(

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2010, 11:42:56 PM »

Given how feelPlus and Artoon had a similar fate, and feelPlus is still developing a game, I think saying they're dead is officially wrong.
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2010, 12:29:15 AM »

My copy from Ebay will arrive soon and I look forward to playing it at some point in the near future.  I still haven't played Drakengard and I was actually planning on playing it before Nier. Does that make sense? Is there any connection between the two? Will playing Nier first, and assuming that it's much better than Drakengard, make it impossible for me to enjoy Drakengard?
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2010, 12:59:37 AM »

There is a definite connection between the two,  it follows Drakengard's last ending.

However, you don't need any prior experience in Drakengard to understand the story.  In fact, the setting isn't actually explained much in-game and it leads you to draw many of your own conclusions.  When you've finished the game, go read that link a few pages back about the setting and story and it will explain how Drakengard and Nier are related.

Oh, and arguably it might make Drakengard less fun to play because what I'd consider to be the "worst" ending ended up "canonical."
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2010, 10:18:20 PM »

There is a definite connection between the two,  it follows Drakengard's last ending.

However, you don't need any prior experience in Drakengard to understand the story.  In fact, the setting isn't actually explained much in-game and it leads you to draw many of your own conclusions.  When you've finished the game, go read that link a few pages back about the setting and story and it will explain how Drakengard and Nier are related.

Oh, and arguably it might make Drakengard less fun to play because what I'd consider to be the "worst" ending ended up "canonical."

That's not really true. The A ending is canonical if you follow to Drakengard 2, and E ending if you follow to Nier. At that point, there is no "canonical." It's all up in the air. :)

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »

That's not really true. The A ending is canonical if you follow to Drakengard 2, and E ending if you follow to Nier. At that point, there is no "canonical." It's all up in the air. :)

And given the facts, all of Nier's ending, no matter which, will...
Code:
end in some sort of tragedy - Yonah will die since her disease wasn't cured, and the android twins and the shadowlord's death ensure humanity will become extinct soon.

I have to say, another depressing, but brilliant highlight of the Cavia games is the weapon histories.
For example...

Phoenix Sword
Taken from that awesome translation thingy.

This is an old story. A beautiful bird with brightly shining feathers lived silently and carefully in the depths of a forest.

One day, a child abandoned as a burden wandered into the depths of the forest. The bird took pity on the starved and sunken child, and pecked off one of its feathers to give to the child. The child brought it back and pleased his relatives, and he was able to live with his family again.

Hearing the story, people barged into the forest one after another, and told the beautiful bird of how poor, how unfortunate and how unrewarded they were. The beautiful bird took pity on them, and gave them one shining feather after another, and when it gave its last feather, the bird’s beautiful body was reduced to a sorry state. However the ugly bird did not have any regrets.

The ugly bird that lost its feathers was freezing in the cold, and the child from before appeared in front of it. He told it that he was searching a brightly shining and beautiful bird to repay his debts. The ugly bird was overjoyed, and told the child of its desire. “That was me. Please, would you not keep me warm in your chest?” But the child merely took one glance at the ugly bird and called it a liar, killing it with a huge sword and eating the burnt bird, afterwards he continued to search for the beautiful bird.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:40:45 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2010, 06:17:48 PM »

Finally watched endings C and D. God this game is fucking depressing. Any word on which ending is supposed to canon?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2010, 10:00:04 PM »

Strange, I thought D was the happiest ending of them all.  While you know things still aren't going to end up perfectly, I think it's the happiest of any of the endings for all parties involved.

Code:
In ending A/B/C the father/brother still has to watch his daughter eventually die of Black Scrawl because it was
never cured, and Kaine is, of course, having some problems as well. A/B/C has the father/brother in that cycle still, he would
probably spend most of his time looking for a cure again, only to come home to Yonah dead one day. In D, at least, he has
 saved Kaine as well as given his daughter/sister some extra time to live.

According to that interview, Yookoo thinks D is not the canon ending, though he said there is no "true" ending
and it's up to player interpretation.  There was originally an ending "E" that stopped the system all  together,
starring Kaine,  and it took place after Ending D.  Since she ends up in love with Nier/Hero, Kaine is incredibly
frustrated that she can't remember  who it is that made her feel that way, and so on.  Basically, the Forest of Myth is the
center of that region's "power" and Kaine goes to destroy it, once and for all.

I think Yookoo has some strange fascination with death.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:06:59 PM by Cyril » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2010, 04:42:58 AM »

I don't mean ending D in particular but all those events leading up to the final boss are intense and at the end of the day you have 4 endings and not a single one can really be considered happy.
I'm so glad I gave this game a chance, a lot of scenes will stay with me for a very long time.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2010, 06:10:10 AM »

Its great to see so many people really enjoying the game, despite all the bad press (Did they even really play the game?) and the melancholy. Its not very often a game comes along that really strikes a human chord in you.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2010, 09:16:07 AM »

Code:
To think that the small shades are just children... In the last dungeon when kaine opens that door and all those shades fall on her, those are just children that the other shades are trying to protect form the invaders (you).
The scene with the wolves is so sad. At the end of the day it's all a matter of comunication. When you're on the second playthrough and understand what they're saying, it really blew my mind, it's brilliant, those vicious monsters suddenly become real people and killing them breaks your heart. When you have to deliver the final blow on that kid that is controlling the robot in the junkheap it's the saddest thing I've ever seen in a game. And killing all those wolves... on the first playthrough you think you're doing the right thing and then the simple fact that you can understand what they say changes everything.

Fortunately I've seen the game among the top selling games on some sites, it's incredibly cheap now so I guess people figure that they might as well give it a shot because of the good word of mouth that is going around. Fuck the gaming press, fuck them.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »

Just got my copy of the soundtrack in the mail and I don't think I'm going to tire of listening to it anytime soon.

As far as the actual game goes, I think I'm going to try to platinum it.  That's a pretty big deal for me since I've never platinumed anything before.  How long does farming for ingredients to earn Upgrade Master take?

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2010, 12:46:25 PM »

Just got my copy of the soundtrack in the mail and I don't think I'm going to tire of listening to it anytime soon.

As far as the actual game goes, I think I'm going to try to platinum it.  That's a pretty big deal for me since I've never platinumed anything before.  How long does farming for ingredients to earn Upgrade Master take?

I didn't try it but from what I've been hearing pretty damn long...

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »

It's a shame...I haven't gotten all the endings yet so obviously I'm missing some trophies there, but I have already done a bunch of the optional ones like all the fishing, cultivating the white moonflower, man of means, etc.  Looking at the list assuming I do get all the endings (which I certainly intend to do anyway) the only trophies I'll be missing are Lightspeed Fighter (I don't like rushing through games the first time) and Forging Master.  The former isn't actually too hard to get from what I've heard.  Put the game on easy, skip all the sidequests, run straight from one objective to the next and it's supposed to be possible to beat the game in like 6 hours.  That would just leave Forging Master...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2010, 01:49:18 PM »

It's a shame...I haven't gotten all the endings yet so obviously I'm missing some trophies there, but I have already done a bunch of the optional ones like all the fishing, cultivating the white moonflower, man of means, etc.  Looking at the list assuming I do get all the endings (which I certainly intend to do anyway) the only trophies I'll be missing are Lightspeed Fighter (I don't like rushing through games the first time) and Forging Master.  The former isn't actually too hard to get from what I've heard.  Put the game on easy, skip all the sidequests, run straight from one objective to the next and it's supposed to be possible to beat the game in like 6 hours.  That would just leave Forging Master...

Bah.  I think they screw with you there too.
Apparently rarer item drops are more easily found the harder the mode is.  I refused to spend that much time getting all the forges to their max level. =(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: