Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 10:05:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319144 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 55791 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: December 27, 2010, 08:15:50 PM »

I will ask one question, because it's sort of a meta-game thing. From the wiki, I read that Kiane is a hermaphrodite in the Japanese version, is that the explanation for why everyone is so cruel to her in the Aerie, even before she gets possessed? Or does that ever get explained?

It's not a Japanese version only thing.

Code:
They dance around the issue in the English version, sure, but they DO question why she's "acting like a girl" in the short story, state that she's a freak... so no, for once this isn't something
"fixed" in localization, and IS the reason they act like jerks to her in the Aerie.

Anyways, you're not going to be truly safe until clearing all the endings, but the playthrough for Ending B will show you the rest of the non-ending cutscenes.

I recall a few more "explicit" lines to the effect in the "novel" part... I vaguely remember though, but I remember giving the game a nod and saying "yup, there it is - she's a hermie"...at like, 3-something A.M., where the memory was promptly washed away so I should get some sleep.... and that's my story.

A shame such a good story in a game took so long to come around... but I do have to say, it really is damned shame more of these plot details weren't in-game... I'm willing to say it's a major flaw to the title as well.  A lot of the stuff I've read in the Grmoire Nier would have been great to see "acted out" in the cutscenes.  A lot of the scenes really play the game as a big tragedy, but it's hard to leave much legacy unless the backgrounds of the characters were put up more up-front.  I liked how Ar Tonelico 2 gave that bonus section, with FMVs, characters, and even background notes to the Hymnos songs.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: December 27, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »

My favorite short story was about the Prince of Facade and Kyra.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETmbAHuAJXE&NR=1

This. This is what I want.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: December 29, 2010, 06:10:04 AM »

I just finished the B ending, and I'm truly brought to my knees how incredible this game has been. It's been a long time since I loved a game this much. Everything about it just felt fresh. So many nuances, so many things that defied my expectations. But yet, I still have so many unanswered questions. Many of the events leading up to the time of the game remain a mystery. I'll just put the following thoughts in spoiler tags just to be safe.

Code:
- Why did the ocean rise and bury the cities. I didn't even know this had happened until someone mentioned it.
- Why did the climate change occur, I guess it was due to some event from the sky, but there's no explanation of what that was.
- What was the disease (White Chloronation?) that destroyed the human race, and why exactly did require separating body from soul to cure it?
- What was the black scrawl, at all? It seems that Yonah was physically just fine when she reunited with her shade self. Is it the same disease that killed off humanity the first time?

Another thing that just floored me is how I felt about the enemies while I was fighting them. You begin to realize that the shades are simply other people, trying to stay alive and keep their loved ones alive. And in many cases (like the wolves) they didn't even start the fight. Suddenly, I feel incredible remorse for fighting them. Beepy/Kamlil, the wolf shade, the colossus, the boar shade, all attacked by "humans" who simply didn't understand (or want to understand) that they were sentient, feeling beings. In stead of being "attacked by monsters", I felt like I was a member of a tragic battle, where both side has legitimate reasons. It did far more to question my basic ethics than BioShock or Fallout ever did, and I must add that it didn't do it by giving me a bullshit good/evil choice like most games these days do.

I think I probably will not pursue the C and D ending. Of no dislike for the game at all, it will be something I savor for a long long time. It just seems like a lot of time and effort to burn, just for a few cutscenes, I'll probably look them up later.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:17:09 AM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: December 29, 2010, 06:21:06 AM »

Read the grimoire Prime, it answers all those questions. The back story is huge and starts with one of drakengard's endings.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: December 29, 2010, 04:18:33 PM »

link?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: December 29, 2010, 04:25:14 PM »

link?

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgvmkf89_228fxgghgg3&pli=1#Emil_s_Survey_Report_948171970

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: December 29, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »

I noticed something recently while re-playing the beginning of the game that floored me.

Code:
When Nier first goes to the lost shrine to save Yonah and encounters shades, the little shades are completely nonviolent up until you free Grimoire Weiss. Before that happens, no matter how long you stand still, the 'child' shades don't attack you in the shrine (the big ones do though) however, you can't progress until you kill 'em all.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2011, 04:39:57 AM »

So I got to the desert city today in Nier.

So far, I'm really enjoying it. I can see how people might have some complaints about combat and graphics but ....eh....I mean it's nice to have beautiful environments, but nothing is particularly hideous. I do agree with Eusis that it has a PS2 "feel" though, I was thinking the same thing this afternoon.

Because they are all paid off, or have their careers held hostage by big name devs and pubs. Remember the Kane and Lynch fiasco?  Or what happened to the Legend of Dragoon team?

What happened to the LOD team? Were they killed after making that abomination?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »

dumb box is dumb, also Nier (and Majin).
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »

Got Ending A on Friday, and ending B last night. I am now done with this game. I plan on reading through the Grimoire to see if it answers some of my questions.

A couple observations I made towards the end:
"Damn, Devola and Poppola are smokin' hot red heads!"
It was hard to tell from their in-game character models.
This game would have been just fine without Emil. Hated his character and his voice, ugh.

I want to buy the soundtrack, but I am honestly kind of sick of the music at this point. I just heard it SO damn much. Perhaps if there had been more tracks spread out over more cities/dungeons, etc. this wouldn't be the case.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2011, 03:54:15 PM »

Got Ending A on Friday, and ending B last night. I am now done with this game. I plan on reading through the Grimoire to see if it answers some of my questions.

A couple observations I made towards the end:
"Damn, Devola and Poppola are smokin' hot red heads!"
It was hard to tell from their in-game character models.
This game would have been just fine without Emil. Hated his character and his voice, ugh.

I want to buy the soundtrack, but I am honestly kind of sick of the music at this point. I just heard it SO damn much. Perhaps if there had been more tracks spread out over more cities/dungeons, etc. this wouldn't be the case.

I still loved the music even despite the amount I've heard it (character themes especially; but they were much more rare).  But yeah, by this point, I hate the Wretched Automatons (the Junk Heap tune; you need waaay too many items for quests and weapons there and it drove me nuts).

The up-close models, especially for the females, were quite lovely, and yeah it's a shame Dev and Po are rarely seen (so it's nice to watch the opening vid for some scene highlights).

I finished after Ending B as well, the Grimoire and YouTube were more than enough thereafter.

Hope/Glad you enjoyed it though. =D
(I actually forgot I started this topic... with mixed reactions no less)

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »

Because they are all paid off, or have their careers held hostage by big name devs and pubs. Remember the Kane and Lynch fiasco?  Or what happened to the Legend of Dragoon team?

What happened to the LOD team? Did someone have sex with them for making that masterpiece?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: January 11, 2011, 01:10:56 AM »

Because they are all paid off, or have their careers held hostage by big name devs and pubs. Remember the Kane and Lynch fiasco?  Or what happened to the Legend of Dragoon team?

What happened to the LOD team? Did someone behead them for forcing that atrocity on humanity?

Also, the sand temple in Nier is a pain in the ass. I keep trying to walk slowly in that one puzzle and end up running and having to start over. It's frustrating.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2011, 01:19:53 AM »

I am now done with this game. I plan on reading through the Grimoire to see if it answers some of my questions.

Curious, but did you end up watching the other two endings on Youtube? I think they're worth seeing, but I definitely understand not wanting to play a third time and hunt all that equipment just for that.

And admittedly the music I like to listen to most tends to not be the stuff played the most, IE special event songs. And Wretched Automatons since that song happens to strike a chord with me (and I didn't seriously bother with quests requiring grinding in there for forever).
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: January 11, 2011, 09:08:40 AM »

I am now done with this game. I plan on reading through the Grimoire to see if it answers some of my questions.

Curious, but did you end up watching the other two endings on Youtube? I think they're worth seeing, but I definitely understand not wanting to play a third time and hunt all that equipment just for that.

And admittedly the music I like to listen to most tends to not be the stuff played the most, IE special event songs. And Wretched Automatons since that song happens to strike a chord with me (and I didn't seriously bother with quests requiring grinding in there for forever).

No, I haven't done that yet. I'll watch them sometime today. I started reading through the grimoire yesterday. Damn, that thing is chock full of stuff. Too much, really. Like someone else(Dice?) said, I would have liked to have seen some of it implemented in the game. At least as a codex type thing.
I quite liked the Junk Heap music. It just lost it's luster after the 6th or 7th visit there.
I'm definitely buying the soundtrack. I just might not listen to it for a week or so.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: