Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 02:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319632 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nier
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Nier  (Read 56021 times)
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: May 17, 2011, 10:49:40 PM »

I am happy that Nier got a bit of a following.  It really deserves more from fans of the genre IMO.  Off to finish the game!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: May 18, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »

"Sleeper hit" y'all. This game will be remembered for a long long time by those who gave it a fair shake.

So glad other people are enjoying it. This thread is testament to the game's relative staying power compared to other console RPGs of the past few years. Not that there's nothing else better, it's just that there are so few of this quality, and I don't think anyone was expecting it from this game when it was first announced. Heck, I met the producer for this game at E3 '09 and at the time I thought "this is going to be mediocre." Nopenopenope. I was wrong.

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: May 18, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »

"WIESS YOU DUMB ASS, start making sense you rotten book or you're gonna be sorry! Maybe I'll rip your pages out, one by one, or maybe I'll throw you in the God damn furnace! How can someone with such a big, smart brain get hypnotized like a little bitch? huh? Oh shadow lord, I love you shadow lord...come give Weiss a big sloppy kiss, Shadowlord! Now pull your head out of your god damn ass and START FUCKING HELPING US!" - Kaine, NiER

This is the only game where a quote as vulgar as that can be meaningful. I can't wait until I play it.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: May 18, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »

Once the quote is in context I think it's even better!

Everything's Eventual
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: May 18, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »

Once the quote is in context I think it's even better!

I can't wait to put it in context! That will probably be some time after next Friday. So... The gameplay worries me. Please tell me it's at least pretty good.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: May 19, 2011, 12:02:20 AM »

I loved the game play personally. The weapon customization is fun to mess around with and the various attacks available made regular battles interesting. I know the monotony of the side quest bothered some but I rather enjoyed them (although I admit to throwing the controller a couple of times while fishing!). I thought the added stories sometimes gave the side quest more "personality" and yes, you will traverse the same areas ad nauseum but by utilizing different attack methods it changes up the battles, plus I am a sucker for collecting things, so I liked to see just how many items I could gather, and, if nothing else there are three trophies to garner through completing quests for the towns people. All in all the game play surprised me, I had read so many negative things about the battle system and the monotony of the various quests I certainly had a preconceived notion of what to expect, and to say I was pleasantly surprised is an extreme understatement!

Everything's Eventual
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: May 19, 2011, 05:35:34 AM »

And the talking book... best character in the game. =)

You mean Dist The Ro... I mean, Grimoire Weis.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: May 23, 2011, 12:17:58 AM »

I'm not quite sure why everyone seems to be complaining about the graphics when I read reviews for this game. I've been looking at videos of it and other than some bad textures and Nier's hair, everything looks beautiful.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: May 23, 2011, 01:51:58 AM »

I'm not quite sure why everyone seems to be complaining about the graphics when I read reviews for this game. I've been looking at videos of it and other than some bad textures and Nier's hair, everything looks beautiful.

I hate the granny lips everyone seems to have (they all be thin and dark).  Thass about it though.  Man Nier is a seriously scary looking individual too.  There's brawny... and then there's caveman.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: May 23, 2011, 05:00:34 AM »

Fuck other games.

That pretty much describes what I'm feeling right now.

So I have to thank all of you guys in this huge thread: you're the reason I decided to give this game a second chance. This game has been more emotionally affecting and, more importantly, emotionally challenging than any game I've probably ever played. And to think I had given up on it!

Around the time Patrick Gann's review went up, I decided to give this game a chance and GameStop had it for cheap. My first impressions were a mixed bag. Interesting storyline, characters, and visual design, but lackluster level design, gameplay, and OH MY GOD FETCHQUESTCITY! I made it to the boss of the Desert Temple, which had me stuck and I gave up on the game and went on to "greener pastures."

Cue a couple of weeks ago, where I suddenly found the "Song of the Ancients" jamming itself back into my brain. For some reason, I was missing this game! Then I re-read Patrick's review. Then I listened to the whole soundtrack on Youtube. Finally I hopped into this thread and read everyone's impressions (as well as the advice on being able to switch the difficulty without starting the game over!). Damn you all! ;)

I love this game! I beat that boss on the Easy setting and never looked back. I'm now going through the B scenario, and the game is just WOW. The worst thing about it is still the fetchquests, but the best thing I can say is that the game never makes me do them, and I like how just accepting them will often prompt fully-voiced discussions among the party.

It's weird though. I've been wanting a game to challenge me emotionally and force me to do things I'm not comfortable with for a long time. Now that I've finally found that in Nier's scenario B, I don't want to play it! Does the game ever stop being so soul-crushing? It's cool if the answer is no! :P

Now go play Drakengard.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: May 23, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »

Fuck other games.

That pretty much describes what I'm feeling right now.

So I have to thank all of you guys in this huge thread: you're the reason I decided to give this game a second chance. This game has been more emotionally affecting and, more importantly, emotionally challenging than any game I've probably ever played. And to think I had given up on it!

Around the time Patrick Gann's review went up, I decided to give this game a chance and GameStop had it for cheap. My first impressions were a mixed bag. Interesting storyline, characters, and visual design, but lackluster level design, gameplay, and OH MY GOD FETCHQUESTCITY! I made it to the boss of the Desert Temple, which had me stuck and I gave up on the game and went on to "greener pastures."

Cue a couple of weeks ago, where I suddenly found the "Song of the Ancients" jamming itself back into my brain. For some reason, I was missing this game! Then I re-read Patrick's review. Then I listened to the whole soundtrack on Youtube. Finally I hopped into this thread and read everyone's impressions (as well as the advice on being able to switch the difficulty without starting the game over!). Damn you all! ;)

I love this game! I beat that boss on the Easy setting and never looked back. I'm now going through the B scenario, and the game is just WOW. The worst thing about it is still the fetchquests, but the best thing I can say is that the game never makes me do them, and I like how just accepting them will often prompt fully-voiced discussions among the party.

It's weird though. I've been wanting a game to challenge me emotionally and force me to do things I'm not comfortable with for a long time. Now that I've finally found that in Nier's scenario B, I don't want to play it! Does the game ever stop being so soul-crushing? It's cool if the answer is no! :P

Now go play Drakengard.

Then play Drakengard! 2!

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: May 24, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »

Were those ps only?

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: May 24, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »

Were those ps only?

No. They were PS 2.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Commander Jubby Shepard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: May 24, 2011, 05:44:41 PM »

And I just bought NiER. I'll have to wait till late tonight or tomorrow to play it, but I can finally play it!

tebian
Radio Station DJ

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: May 25, 2011, 06:05:28 AM »

I am replaying this game again. I lost my saves after doing the 3rd ending but I want to see the final ending. I really do not think that even Nobuo could hold a candle to this soundtrack for a game. Emi Evans did great job on the whole made up languages to match Keiichi Okabe composing for the game.

for each track, I was given instructions to write the lyrics in a particular pseudo language. For example with Kaine I was asked to write in new style Gaelic.
- source

If you have not bought it yet do it and you did not at least play the 2nd run through do it.

Final Fantasy Radio
"Square Music for a Round World"
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: