Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:51:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338217 Posts in 13846 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Iron Man 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Iron Man 2  (Read 2986 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:53:12 AM »

I just got back from a midnight showing and it was all good. BIG thumbs up for Black Widow.  Make sure to stick around after the credits of course:)  They threw a lot more humor into the dialogue which worked pretty much every time. I would put the sequel even higher than the first one. Better than Dark Knight as sequels go? ...tough call.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:06:15 AM »

Funny seeing as every critic has said it fails when compared to the original, but succeeds as summer entertainment nonetheless. I'm seeing it tomorrow so I'll let you know, but I'm not expecting anything even close to TDK.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:42:13 AM »

I'll agree it doesn't stack to the first; the initial title felt (daresay) somewhat more artistic, while this one seems to have the glitz and glitter of a "sequel of a successful blockbuster" feel.

Nonetheless, the film was super entertaining.

- Love all the audi's
- Hey! Less apparent product placement
- I'd be gay for Scar Jo... she is flawless every single scene.
- I liked the ode to the "hammer" at the end
- Gotta love Stark's absolutely impossible technology, especially involving his (without spoiling) life-saving "creation"
- Speaking of Stark, you gotta love the witty bastard and any dialogue exchanges he's involved in
- Rockwell is an extraordinary actor, even when playing a dick... oh wait, thats most of the time....
- Cheadell was a great replacement, great to see War Machine kicking ass
- Pepper Potts kinda lost what made her cool in the first
- The party scene was kinda stupid, but fun I suppose.
- Rourke is one of the ugliest men alive.
- Awesome action, wished their was more

.... Any one else sort of bummed that Iron Man 2 attacks the *same* issue of "Lets make more Iron Men copies to scrap the original!!!"

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »

I wouldn't really be bummed just because that's kind of a lot of Iron Man in any media form. In general although Iron Man exists in a superhero world many of his main nemeses are all technological based and normally just guys in suits or robots, there's a few here and there and in The Avengers he obviously fights other superheroes but in just Iron Man, he tends to fight what are essentially clones of himself.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:55:34 PM »

I didn't really enjoy either of the Iron Man movies, but I'm just not a fan of Iron Man in general. My partner dragged me to see the new one last week sometime and I laughed a couple of times and that's more than what I was expecting from it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »

I'm still skeptical about seeing the second one. I wasn't a fan of the first.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Perley
Gunslinger Extraordinare

You feelin' lucky, punk

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:51:32 PM »

Only thing I wasn't too keen on was the whole "Whaaa! I'm dying!" thing. I think the movie tried to hard at making us feel sorry for him. But other than that, it was good. Worth standing in line for 2 hours for.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 12:13:54 AM »

I was disappointed with this one.

The movie that fails to live up to the hype. There's been a few recent superhero/comic book sequels to surpass an already excellent original (Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight come to mind), but Iron Man 2 is not among them. Not only is it worse than the original, it just wasn't all that much fun. Everything awesome about the first Iron Man movie is gone except for Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark (who is great again). The villain sucks and his motivations are uninteresting (never a good sign for this kind of movie) and there is a surprisingly large amount of exposition and dialogue (the one-liners can only take it so far). The action scenes are decent, but nothing spectacular and I felt the special effects were worse than the first movie. The plot also features far too much Avengers and not enough Iron Man. They didn't focus on what they needed to, leaving an unsatisfying feeling. I don't know if there will be an Iron Man 3 before the Avengers, but I kind of hope they get this back on track before then. There's lots of potential still left on the floor.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 05:11:47 AM »

.... Any one else sort of bummed that Iron Man 2 attacks the *same* issue of "Lets make more Iron Men copies to scrap the original!!!"

That's sort of the problem with Iron Man's Rogue Gallery. They're all mostly the same or he's borrowing better villains from other series. Hell, even Superman has more variety with his villains than Iron Man (and most of them are either Krypton or Kryptonite based, monstrous hulks, or evil scientists).

Basically, can you name five major Iron Man villains without having to look them up?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »

"Stupid Fun" is probably the best way to describe IM2. I think it took us about five minutes to identify the three big questions/plot holes after the movie finished, which is never a good thing.

Code:
1. How did Vanko know Stark was in Monaco, much less going to be on the racetrack? That whole sequence happened in five minutes, and it seemed far, far too convenient that Vanko was just there.

2. Why didn't the guard pull a gun on Vanko in the prison? Who the hell just touches an escaping prisoner on the shoulder? That particular guard was clearly not "in" on the matter.

3. How did James Rhodes get into a suit? Stark isn't going to have passcodes and the like laying around. Not only that, but they're two differently shaped people. The suits aren't one-size-fits-all. Also, how did Rhodes know how to use a suit?

There's plenty more giant questions left hanging in the movie (as well as a ton of phoned-in performances. It felt like Jackson had given up on the movie before he even got on camera).

Yeah, I rag on movies a lot, but I just can't be taken in by flashy effects and all that. I've watched way too many films and don't want to be insulted when I'm in the audience.

Good things? Hammer's character was brilliant. I've never been so deliberately irritated by a character before. The writing worked pretty hard for him. Good one-liners all around too. Effects were good, stunts were good. First 20 minutes of the movie are good.

I'd like to say that the story development /between/ Stark and Pepper Potts is good, because it IS in one regard. It's just horribly marred by the boring version of Pepper in the story. I really liked her in the original, but here she loses a lot of the charm and direction she had in the original. Ah well.

In the end, IM2 insults the audience's intelligence far, far too often. Rourke is not convincing as an Eastern European character whatsoever, there are huge, gaping plot-holes, a lot of half-hearted performances, and story threads which veer off in far too many directions to be properly cohesive. Sure it's fun, but fun does not need to come at the expense of quality.

So yeah, my $.02 on all that.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »

I was confused about the "new element" thing. I understand that new elements can be found, I just found it amusing that this element was "impossible" to synthesize but in a Rocky montage we are given the new element in the space of 5-minutes. Did he just happen to have materials for this never before seen element laying about? Why was it necessary to point the deadly, destructive laser 10 metres from the little triangle thing and thus ruining your workshop?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »

The new element thing I can at least buy as movie magic. Yeah it's a dumb issue and a bit awkward, but I can at least respect that it serves the plot and doesn't take up too much time.

Code:
His problem with Palladium on the other hand? That was really clumsy. It's a good plot device, but how Shield gives him a "booster shot" or whatever? Come on. I could understand if Stark was running out of the same kind of medicine and Shield had some on hand, but it seemed like something Stark should have known about.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 02:39:22 PM »

When I saw "better than TDK" I could see my good pal Josh's head explode in Indianapolis.

JP
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »

When I saw "better than TDK" I could see my good pal Josh's head explode in Indianapolis.

JP

Pretty much. IM2 is the little boy in the corner scared to death of the bully known as TDK.

"Stupid Fun" is probably the best way to describe IM2. I think it took us about five minutes to identify the three big questions/plot holes after the movie finished, which is never a good thing.

Code:
1. How did Vanko know Stark was in Monaco, much less going to be on the racetrack? That whole sequence happened in five minutes, and it seemed far, far too convenient that Vanko was just there.

2. Why didn't the guard pull a gun on Vanko in the prison? Who the hell just touches an escaping prisoner on the shoulder? That particular guard was clearly not "in" on the matter.

3. How did James Rhodes get into a suit? Stark isn't going to have passcodes and the like laying around. Not only that, but they're two differently shaped people. The suits aren't one-size-fits-all. Also, how did Rhodes know how to use a suit?

There's plenty more giant questions left hanging in the movie (as well as a ton of phoned-in performances. It felt like Jackson had given up on the movie before he even got on camera).

Yeah, I rag on movies a lot, but I just can't be taken in by flashy effects and all that. I've watched way too many films and don't want to be insulted when I'm in the audience.

Good things? Hammer's character was brilliant. I've never been so deliberately irritated by a character before. The writing worked pretty hard for him. Good one-liners all around too. Effects were good, stunts were good. First 20 minutes of the movie are good.

I'd like to say that the story development /between/ Stark and Pepper Potts is good, because it IS in one regard. It's just horribly marred by the boring version of Pepper in the story. I really liked her in the original, but here she loses a lot of the charm and direction she had in the original. Ah well.

In the end, IM2 insults the audience's intelligence far, far too often. Rourke is not convincing as an Eastern European character whatsoever, there are huge, gaping plot-holes, a lot of half-hearted performances, and story threads which veer off in far too many directions to be properly cohesive. Sure it's fun, but fun does not need to come at the expense of quality.

So yeah, my $.02 on all that.

I agree with all of this. I'm already getting sick of hearing people talking about how this is one of the best movies they've ever seen. They clearly have seen 1 movie their entire life.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:40:06 PM by Blace » Logged

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 08:55:03 PM »

Yeah, well I'm sick of people saying TDK is the best thing since sliced bread. Yeah it was awesome but I could think of lots that are better.  IM2 is not a bad movie in any respect, and it's to be taken with a grain of salt. Anyone can take a movie based on a comic and tear it apart but it's supposed to be fun...that's all.  I've always been more of a marvel guy anyway. Batman is really the only DC character that interests me. I'm thinking of R. D. Junior's comments about TDK a few years back when IM came out. That was priceless.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: