Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 12:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341230 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana, which one?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana, which one?  (Read 1898 times)
cruehead967

auron967
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2006, 06:15:01 PM »

I want to get one of the Atelier Iris games before they disappear (damn Atlus), but I don't know which one I should get. I like to hear the thoughts of my fellow RPG gamers so I wanted to ask you all which one do you prefer?

Currently playing: Final Fantasy XII
Currently watching: Freaks and Geeks, Big Brother 8
Currently listening: Pyromania by Def Leppard, B-Side Ourselves by Skid Row
Currently reading: Harry Potter series (again)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 06:31:33 PM »

Quote from: "cruehead967"
I want to get one of the Atelier Iris games before they disappear (damn Atlus), but I don't know which one I should get. I like to hear the thoughts of my fellow RPG gamers so I wanted to ask you all which one do you prefer?

Erm, Atlus didn't publish either of the games, NIS America did.  On topic, Most people seem to prefer the first title.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 07:31:18 PM »

They are both enjoyable games, but I liked the second one slightly more.  Although I must say that item synthesizing is better in the first game.  A lot of the humor in the game presented itself when you made new items.  The second game has humor but it's presented in the story itself, through the characters which IMO are better than the ones in the first game (at least the party members since Veola rules).

I don't think I ever refined my weapon in the first game.  I did do a lot of blacksmithing in the second game.  The weapon tree gave me pleasant flashbacks to Dark Cloud 2's tree.

Be warned that some people experienced problems viewing the ending of the first game.  I had no problems, but I think other people had the game freeze up before seeing the ending.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 08:32:18 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Erm, Atlus didn't publish either of the games, NIS America did.  On topic, Most people seem to prefer the first title.

Actually i think NIS goes through atlus or something, when I got the second one from EB, the shipping manifest on the box said atlus.  and I think they did share a booth at e3.  they got some link correct?

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 08:40:18 PM »

Yeah, they are absolutely linked, but function as separate entities, much like SOE/SCEA.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 10:49:05 PM »

While it's been a while since I've played the first one, I remember liking it a lot more than I did the second. It was longer, tougher to get through (seriously, the second installment is very easy), and had a much more enjoyable item synthesis system, which is one of the key aspects to the series.

While I disagree with Clueless' choice of favorite game, I will agree in that they are both good titles. I doubt you'd go wrong with either one.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 11:39:28 PM »

The first game, because Veola > You.  :P

Seriously, both games have their merits and both of their main plots are pretty short in comparison to other RPGs on the market.  I've yet to finish AI:2, but with as much fun as I'm having on this one, I still like the first game better.  As others have said, the item synth system is much deeper and it actually impacts your gameplay in a lot of ways.  I was unbeatable by the time I finished synthesising my weapons.  Plus, you actually get a background story on each of the shopkeepers that you synth with, hence, the reason why Veola is my favorite NPC EVER.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: