Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 01:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329760 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Arc Rise Fantasia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Arc Rise Fantasia  (Read 7594 times)
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2010, 05:40:33 PM »

Started playing this to review for the site and as many have already mentioned the voice acting is more than cringeworthy.  It makes every scene just play out so awkward.  It really sucks that it hinders the game as it does.  It has a Tales feel, which I got that vibe when I played it at E3, too.  I like that and I'm glad that I'm playing a JRPG finally - it's not perfect, but adequate thus far.  But these are early impressions, my mind could change as I play on.  I highly doubt the voice acting will get any better though :-P

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »

I look forward to your review.  I think you need to like the characters since you put so much of your spoils into upgrading everyone's orbs.  I might not be doing enough searching but I've yet to reconstruct a gem from shards.  I have a lot of shards but don't have five of any one... weird.  I'm probably 75% done with it now, and I think it truly is revolutionary as far as the scope of the game is concerned.  There's really nothing on the Wii to compare it to. 
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »

I'm not very far yet, but I'm really liking it.  One thing I've noticed is that regular battles can end in like 10 seconds, yet the exp and gold rewards are very good.  Then, boss battles are actually challenging.  So, you have to grind, but it's no hassle.  It's an interesting relationship, and I hope common battles remain fast, furious, and I suppose, numerous.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »

I hope common battles remain fast, furious, and I suppose, numerous.

Yes, yes and yes.  The guilds open up sidequests, and some are killing lots of small monsters or optional boss battles.  The more you complete, the more that become available.

One thing that I haven't seen any reviews of this game mention is that fact that you have options at certain points in the game which may or may not affect the ending and what powers L'Arc has.  There could be multiple endings but I can't be sure because I haven't finished it once yet.  Sometime if you win or lose a battle you might be affecting the main storyline.  I think you might have to play through this game multiple times to figure out if there are in fact multiple endings. 
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 04:49:31 PM »

The writing is quite good.  It's weird, there aren't any grammatical errors and the communication is always in clear, believable english (it's actually superb, especially in the 'mascot town' if you will) but then there are glaring mistakes such as using the word 'ally' instead of 'enemy' in a skill description, calling quests "guilds" just because they come from the guild, and the encyclopedia is called "mercs"...

The voice acting isn't as bad as I was expecting, either.  The main problem is that it's inconsistent; some characters have competent actors, and others don't.

A game this good really should have been ...  I don't even know what to say, how do you get Mitsuda to do the soundtrack yet have such poor voice acting, have such random translation issues with perfect grammar, epic poetry and hilarious jokes...

How do you get mad at the quality assurance people?  They have to have been playing a joke.  Even the battle system has two extremes- easy standard battles, and difficult boss battles.

Anyway, it's freaking awesome.  I haven't been addicted like this in a while.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 12:00:57 PM »

Just recently started playing the game and I find it quite enjoyable. But the damn voice acting is ruining the experience. The battle system is definitely a winner. Challenging boss fights are a welcome addition too.

I agree with the rest here, the voice acting is inconsistent. Sometimes good and at other times horrendous. But the real problem is the recording quality. I tried playing the game with speech muted for a while, but not for long.

What was IGNITION thinking?

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »

Ignition kind of reminds me of the game company Gust in the sense that they could make fantastic games, but there's always the same flaw in every single one. For Ignition, it's their bland, uninspired translations. For Gust, it's game breaking bugs. I played Ignition's last game, Nostalgia, and while that game had no voices it was by far the most bland translation I've seen in a while. Arc Rise sort of seems to be the same deal, though game-play has sold me and I'll probably pick it up this week.

Based on the voices overs I've heard, Niko makes me want to...do horrible things!

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2010, 06:59:17 PM »

Niko is terrible, but at least he is supposed to be an annoying character.  Not much of an excuse, though.

I still say the writing is good... Kopins say some cool stuff, and I think I found a subtle moogle reference...

also, I think I am permanently in the mindset where voice acting is a privilege, not a right... meaning that if it exists at all, I'm flattered.  I almost expect voice acting to be shoddy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:02:06 PM by Fei » Logged

OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »

The Kopins have a secret village.. try to find it!  Even their village music is hilarious.  I'll give you the answer if you like. ;)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 04:42:36 PM »

While I like Arc Rise Fantasia if I don't like Tales Games?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »

Will I like Arc Rise Fantasia if I don't like Tales Games?

Nope.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 04:54:55 PM »

Dang. Better to be forewarned though.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:03 PM »

Kim's review of it really makes me want it, it seems right up my alley.

There is no Europe date announced as far as I can see, so I might just import it if no information comes up in the next month or so.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »

While I like Arc Rise Fantasia if I don't like Tales Games?

I like Arc Rise Fantasia much more than the Tales games I've played... Tales games have long dungeons to slog though, while this game is like wham-bam thank you ma'am.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »

Brrr..  The arena made me cringe (and not because of difficulty either)...
Code:
The Luminous Arc style doesn't work well with the Eureka7 one... haha

Then again, I'm not too crazy about the character models either (no, not their voices har har).  The bright colours on everyone is drives me nuts, and the massive foreheads make it look like their hair is thinning haha

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: