Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:22:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327552 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Good (Action) RPGs for PS2?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Good (Action) RPGs for PS2?  (Read 3898 times)
Crescens

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:05:15 AM »

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Hope you guys can handle my bad english, heh.

Like the topic title says, I've been looking for a fun PS2-RPG that will keep me entertained mainly due to its battle system.

So far, I kinda enjoyed Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Destiny Remake, Star Ocean 3 and Valkyrie Profile 2 the most. I don't care if you can play through the game with just button mashing, as long as the battle system allows more than that - like juggles, timed combos, hit counters etc. Been thinking of getting Radiata Stories, but am not too sure if it's the correct choice from what I have seen. I really would appreciate every help. :]

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:51:31 AM »

You've already played some really good ones! Your English is excellent, too!

There are two more Tales games you haven't played; 'Tales of the Abyss' and 'Tales of Legendia'. Other than that some more good action focused RPGs (like the ones you have listed) are:

~ Kingdom Hearts I and II (Especially if you like Disney.)
~ Dark Cloud 1 & 2 (2 is a lot better.)
~ Final Fantasy XII (Not really an action-RPG, but moreso than any other FF.)
~ Rogue Galaxy
~ Odin Sphere (Very few RPG elements though.)

That's all I can think of right now... But if you're happy for any kind of RPG then I'd also recommend:

~ Final Fantasy X
~ Suikoden III
~ Dragon Quest VIII
~ Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 & Persona 4
~ Shadow Hearts

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:57:24 AM »

I too must say that there's nothing wrong with your English.

I don't know of any games I can add to the list that FlamingR1ft has already given you, but I would also like to recommend the Kindgom Hearts and Dark Cloud games. Both series are very good, and Dark Chronicle (Cloud 2) is my favourite of the four.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:28:41 AM »

Also all the hack\\G.U. series (3 games in total)

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:58:58 AM »

Summoner 2

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:04:44 PM »

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim might not be quite what you're looking for, it's more like if Zelda shed some of its bigger adventure elements then made those last view steps to be inarguably an action RPG, and as such doesn't have that much in the way of combat frills, but it's still worth considering.

Similarly, Okami's a Zelda-like game with a bit more RPG than Zelda has, but you can earn more moves and weapons for combat, and the brush techiques all (or almost all) are useful in combat.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 01:28:47 PM »

Going to echo others and say Kingdom Hearts. Not everyone enjoys them, but I loved them and like passing on the recommendations for them. Same with Rogue Galaxy, which has plenty of flaws, but I found fun and engaging enough to play through once. Radiata Stories is a personal favorite as well. I quite liked the quirky humor and oddball goofiness of it. It's rare in games, especially this generation of consoles.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 02:10:32 PM »

~ Final Fantasy XII (Not really an action-RPG, but moreso than any other FF.)

If by action RPG you mean programming AI to blenderize everything while you run in the general direction of whatever it is you want to die then yes, it can be considered an Action RPG.

The only series that I can think of that hasn't been named yet is the Shining Tears/Wind/Force Neo games but that's pushing it. There's also the original dot//Hack series (four games in total) but they were really stretched out content wise.

Though not so much of a free reign action RPG as the above suggestions you may find something to like in Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (you have to set up traps on a battlefield during battle, but the game itself is far more of a dungeon crawler/survival RPG).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
KGB13

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 02:59:47 PM »

Great English.

I would recommend the KH series as well. Great story, great characters, and great gameplay. Probably the best Action RPG's you can find on the PS2.

MyAnimeList
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 06:47:22 PM »

I'd go with FlamingR1ft great suggestion and try out Odin Sphere. It's an amazing and beautiful game, the controls are simple but the game has so much depth. It has 5 stories that link together as you go along.
I only did not beat probably because it's hard, I mean really hard, if you don't have a proper strategy in some bosses.

Of the 5 chapters, I played through 4 and loved each one, even the ones that at first appeared to be boring, turned out to be great !

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 07:45:19 PM »

The SMT:Devil Summoner games are great games. The second game in the series scored higher than the first, but the first is still a fun game to play. Check out the reviews on this site.

I'll recommend Dark Cloud 2 as well. I love that game. I recently started up another game after not having the game for years.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pesmerga

for-shizzle-nizzle@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »

aahah ahhh... You beat me too it. A lot of people I know hate the series, but i found the games pretty damn enjoyable.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:05:07 PM »

aahah ahhh... You beat me too it. A lot of people I know hate the series, but i found the games pretty damn enjoyable.

Yeah :D, i loved those games, it was great, the only thing i didnt liked much was the ending, or more like how Haseo changed, he was cooler as badass Haseo xD

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 10:37:33 PM »

I didn't like Odin Sphere. I found it visually confusing to the point that it interfered with play (it's dark, there's seven layers of parallax, and the sprites are so big that a lot of stuff comes at you from off screen), magic was pretty uneven in terms of some spells being absolutely useless and others being quite useful, the beat-em-up mechanics had issues (Fighting was sort of overly simplistic, but the bigger issues were this stupid exhaustion gauge and enemies being able to knock you back when you couldn't do that to them), and the game sort of required grind to get the alchemical potions you absolutely HAD to have.

Also didn't like how repetitive it was. You had five different characters, but each went through the same levels, without any real changes (except for bosses, I think?) The levels in and of themselves were repetitive, consisting of nothing but featureless, circular sub areas that you'd move between, and two of them actually used the same mechanic--the fire and ice dungeon would both constantly drain your health (3 HP a second or so) unless you had a specific potion, but I mean, constant health drain. Same damn mechanic. Annoying and not cool.

Also the technical issues. There was a lot of slowdown and load times were pretty long.

Other things I didn't like. There was a ranking system which gave you a grade ranging from D to S depending on how quickly you finished a given sub-area (and I think amount of damage taken factored into it as well) only it was sort of problematic because enemies would spawn in in different waves sometimes, and sometimes there was lag between these waves spawning in which would affect your ranking.

I also didn't really like how you couldn't actually make a potion until you'd found the book containing the recipe. Even if you already knew a given recipe. No room for experimentation at all.

And I found the writing... It tried WAY too hard. The faux-Shakespearean stuff ended up reading... bad.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 12:42:12 AM »

I didn't like Odin Sphere. I found it visually confusing to the point that it interfered with play (it's dark, there's seven layers of parallax, and the sprites are so big that a lot of stuff comes at you from off screen), magic was pretty uneven in terms of some spells being absolutely useless and others being quite useful, the beat-em-up mechanics had issues (Fighting was sort of overly simplistic, but the bigger issues were this stupid exhaustion gauge and enemies being able to knock you back when you couldn't do that to them), and the game sort of required grind to get the alchemical potions you absolutely HAD to have.

Also didn't like how repetitive it was. You had five different characters, but each went through the same levels, without any real changes (except for bosses, I think?) The levels in and of themselves were repetitive, consisting of nothing but featureless, circular sub areas that you'd move between, and two of them actually used the same mechanic--the fire and ice dungeon would both constantly drain your health (3 HP a second or so) unless you had a specific potion, but I mean, constant health drain. Same damn mechanic. Annoying and not cool.

Also the technical issues. There was a lot of slowdown and load times were pretty long.

Other things I didn't like. There was a ranking system which gave you a grade ranging from D to S depending on how quickly you finished a given sub-area (and I think amount of damage taken factored into it as well) only it was sort of problematic because enemies would spawn in in different waves sometimes, and sometimes there was lag between these waves spawning in which would affect your ranking.

I also didn't really like how you couldn't actually make a potion until you'd found the book containing the recipe. Even if you already knew a given recipe. No room for experimentation at all.

And I found the writing... It tried WAY too hard. The faux-Shakespearean stuff ended up reading... bad.

Still, you did get to play as a bunny rabbit that could turn himself into a flying buzzsaw of doom.

On the other hand, the slowdown was a knightmare during some fights, (and makes one boss fight into the single hardest battle in the game).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: