Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 02:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341287 Posts in 13948 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Good (Action) RPGs for PS2?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Good (Action) RPGs for PS2?  (Read 4199 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 02:20:22 AM »

I'm going to go ahead and second Rogue Galaxy and Kingdom Hearts.  Based on what you are asking for, I think those two will likely meet your needs the best outside of another Tales game.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 03:19:59 AM »

I think Mesh has some pretty legitimate complaints about Odin Sphere.  It's definitely repetitive, and to be honest I never finished it either.  I did generally have fun while I was playing it though, I just kind of stopped around the point where it was no longer fun for me (which makes a lot of sense when you think about it, but is often hard to do).  I completely disagree about the visual part, though.  I absolutely adored the games unique visual style.

On a different note, I thought Rogue Galaxy was completely mediocre.  It's not a terrible game or anything, but it does nothing to stand out.  Boring characters and uninspired gameplay.  I can't really figure out why so many people seem to like it so much.

Somebody mentioned Okami.  Okami is an absolutely fantastic game that everybody with a PS2 (or a Wii...there was a Wii port) should play.  Not really sure I'd classify it as an RPG, though.

Crescens

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 04:31:27 AM »

Wow, thanks to all for the many recommendations!

Guess I'll buy Kingdom Hearts 1 +2 first. It looked like a lot of fun. And since Radiata Stories is quite a steal for 10 sealed, I'll pick this one up as well.

And of course I do play 'normal' RPGs as well, should have mentioned it earlier, sorry. Valkyrie Profile 1, Final Fantasy Tactics, SMT Digital Devil Saga 1+2 & Nocturne belong to my alltime faves. Same goes for Xenogears - despite all its flaws.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 05:09:38 AM »

Also all the hack\\G.U. series (3 games in total)

aahah ahhh... You beat me too it. A lot of people I know hate the series, but i found the games pretty damn enjoyable.

Yeah :D, i loved those games, it was great, the only thing i didnt liked much was the ending, or more like how Haseo changed, he was cooler as badass Haseo xD

I've been considering getting those games for a while now. I loved .Hack//SIGN, which made me go and get the first four PS2 games, which, looking back, were pretty awful. I played a little bit of G.U. and I found the gameplay better, but not by very much. Does the gameplay evolve beyond just pressing X a lot later on?

I also want to get it since I watched .hack//Roots, which didn't have the courtesy of being self-contained like SIGN did.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 05:21:19 AM »

aahah ahhh... You beat me too it. A lot of people I know hate the series, but i found the games pretty damn enjoyable.

Yeah :D, i loved those games, it was great, the only thing i didnt liked much was the ending, or more like how Haseo changed, he was cooler as badass Haseo xD

I've been considering getting those games for a while now. I loved .Hack//SIGN, which made me go and get the first four PS2 games, which, looking back, were pretty awful. I played a little bit of G.U. and I found the gameplay better, but not by very much. Does the gameplay evolve beyond just pressing X a lot later on?

I also want to get it since I watched .hack//Roots, which didn't have the courtesy of being self-contained like SIGN did.

Unfortunately there is now a ton of .hack//stuff out there now which mostly ties together and such (and most of it is trapped in the land of the rising sun). And just like something with so many iteration over the last decade most of it is miss than hit. Plus the most recent game in JP right now is //Link and that's a crossover of pretty much everything .hack thus far.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 09:37:19 AM »

Unfortunately there is now a ton of .hack//stuff out there now which mostly ties together and such (and most of it is trapped in the land of the rising sun). And just like something with so many iteration over the last decade most of it is miss than hit. Plus the most recent game in JP right now is //Link and that's a crossover of pretty much everything .hack thus far.

Is truth that with hack link, all hacks link together, is pretty cool if you've played them, but i think , what is better is that is not neccessary to watch all the hacks to understand hack link's story, since they are basically repeating most of the stuff but with Tokio (the main character). Of course you will enjoy it 1000000% more if you've watched\played everything else.

On the GU matter, yeah, it gets harder later on because you will be able to use more weapons with Haseo, there will still be the matter of XXXXX but with dif weapons, different timings, different attacks, and so on (and let me tell you, the last form is just great).
Oh btw this doesnt gets mentioned in the game, i think is just mentioned in a manga of GU (and i dont think is much of a spoil so is safe to read), the ... player, i mean the human person, using Haseo, is the same that used Sora in SIGN :D, but of course, with Haseo he is 16 years old, when he was Sora he was like 10 years old, it seems he forgot everything that happened before, because as you may know, he was trapped by Sleith, and later liberated by Keith.

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 12:48:52 PM »

On the GU matter, yeah, it gets harder later on because you will be able to use more weapons with Haseo, there will still be the matter of XXXXX but with dif weapons, different timings, different attacks, and so on (and let me tell you, the last form is just great).
Oh btw this doesnt gets mentioned in the game, i think is just mentioned in a manga of GU (and i dont think is much of a spoil so is safe to read), the ... player, i mean the human person, using Haseo, is the same that used Sora in SIGN :D, but of course, with Haseo he is 16 years old, when he was Sora he was like 10 years old, it seems he forgot everything that happened before, because as you may know, he was trapped by Sleith, and later liberated by Keith.

It's pretty damn sad that after a decade since watching that show, and about half a decade of not giving a shit about .//hack anymore I almost immediately remembered what the hell you were referencing. >:

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 02:21:40 PM »

Rofl xD, //.Hack have the kind of effect in people

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 03:55:56 PM »

Dual Hearts?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »

Dual Hearts is ok but kind of sketchy.  If he can find a copy for cheap I'd recommend it, I guess.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 10:46:58 PM »

Dual Hearts?
If this were early in the PS2's lifespan and someone wanted a Zelda-type title? Yes. At this point though? Just go for Okami.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 01:53:04 AM »

While not exactly an RPG in the conventional sense Shadow of the Colossus is a must if you enjoy good games.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 01:59:50 AM »

Regular .hack games weren't that interesting, but I agree 100% about the G.U. series.  If the storyline idea intrigues you, G.U is the way to go.  If not, go with another recommendation like Dark Cloud 2 or Okami.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 04:57:46 AM »

While not exactly an RPG in the conventional sense Shadow of the Colossus is a must if you enjoy good games.

Make sure you play Ico first though!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 01:09:09 PM »

I never played Ico.  I would love to play Ico, but it is damn near impossible to actually find a copy these days.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: