Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 10:26:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331911 Posts in 13593 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I'm having so much fun with rpg games lately. What should I get next?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I'm having so much fun with rpg games lately. What should I get next?  (Read 1973 times)
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »

Lately I've played
Yakuza 3 - Finished it twice, loved the characters, story, gameplay. Really awesome.
Resonance of Fate - Completed it, even got all side missions. Had a great time
Final Fantasy 13 - At the last area (?), was fun until then
3d dot game Heroes - Started, really loving it so far
Lunar PSP - Having a good time on the bus
Sakura Wars V - playing togheter from time to time with my wife.

This year has had the best "RPG start" that I can remember. I've played most worthwile rpg games, except Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2. I'll get those later, or borrow them from a friend of mine. Anyway... I'm hungry for RPG games, and I am now wondering about currently not yet bought or just future rpg games:

Star Ocean 4 International: The cutscenes look horrible, but I liked Star Ocean 1 on psp.
Nier - It didn't seem interesting at first, but now plenty of people recommend it despite having a lot of flaws.

Of those two, what would you get?

Also, of near future games;
Hexyz Force - Liked Sting game Evolution for DC back in the day
Trinity Universe - Liked Disgaea
Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow - Like Blue Dragon for 360
Arc Rise Fanatsia - Wants, but no EU release date? My wii is not region free

What interesting ones am I missing? I've got all consoles / handhelds. I hope this was not a too big bulk of text. I'm just very RPG-hungry now :)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »

Hexyz Force might be the safest, one of the bigger worries I have is that it isn't from the Dept. Heaven team so I think it's from the team behind Evolution and Baroque (I think they did both of those). However, you liked Evolution and Baroque's an interesting game, so it may be worth checking out for you BECAUSE of that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:42:49 PM by Eusis » Logged
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 02:58:48 PM »

^Cool, thanks. Yeah, I liked both Evolution and Evolution 2. I know most people hated them though. The nice thing about psp is that it is region free. I won't have to worry about a euro release date. As far as I know, none of the Falcom PSP games have solid release dates, right? I really want Ys 7 too :)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »

You're missing Breath of Death VII. :)

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585504bd/

Other than that, Hexyz Force is probably a good choice. Looks like a very solid game.

Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 03:10:23 PM »

^ I read that as Breath of fire first! And seeing the link as something 360 releated I was ready to jump of joy. Oh well, I'll still check it out. Thanks! :)

edit: Wow, the screens are appealing to me :) Thanks a lot for letting me know about it. Looks like old school fun!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »

As far as I know, none of the Falcom PSP games have solid release dates, right? I really want Ys 7 too :)

They apparently have release date targets, and I hear Ys 7 is set for late summer, Oath for Winter (this year apparently), and Chronicles for spring next year. Then we have about a year to wait for Sora no Kiseki/Trails in the Sky, so that's not one to really think about currently.
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 03:16:50 PM »

^Nice! Then Ys 7 might be released before I go on a trip. (Might be around August / September when I leave). This year is just awesome for us RPG fans, isn't it. :) Now I need release dates for Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Phantasy Star Portable 2. Offcourse I am buying those too :D I'm excited!
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 03:44:53 PM »

I'm playing the domestic version of Hexyz Force for RPGFan.  I'm really enjoying the game.  It's not a forward-thinking or innovative title, but it's just a darn good JRPG with a gold standard localization from Atlus.  What's really cool about it is that normally detestable elements like no shops and breakable weapons are actually enjoyable in this game.  Definitely speaks of the skill of the dev, like a fine chef.  Ashton, one of our pickier reviewers, enjoyed it too. 

Infinite Space for DS is a solid game.  It's not really for everyone, though.  It's a dense game with tons of creative ideas, but it got too ponderous for my tastes and just wasn't "fun."  It's like one of those polarizing foods that people either love or loathe; like cilantro.  But for being one of the most ambitious DS RPGs I've ever seen, it's worth trying.

And I probably don't need to tell you this, but avoid Mimana Iyar Chronicle for PSP.  That game was a rip-off and just an awful and annoying piece of software. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »

I really can't recomend much. But you have The Last Story and Super Dimension Game Neptune in your "DO WANT or Maybe" list for the future, right? Those games looks great so far.

The only game that I can tell you to buy now is Nier.

Atlus is going to release Persona 3 Portable soon, and Final Fantasy IX is going to be on sale on the PSN also. And like everyone around here knows. XSeed is going to steal our money for a lot of time. Also, quick question: How recomendable is Resonance of Fate?
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 06:00:38 PM »

To me, Resonance of Fate is tri-Ace fully unleashing all their creative monkeys.  It has some funky fresh design, badass style, and a lot of cool ideas.  But sometimes it gets a little gimmicky and feels like they wanted to do too much.  Still a very good PS3 RPG, though.  Definitely not a "me too" JRPG.  I definitely recommend it. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:04:33 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 06:40:45 PM »

Dincrest:
I'll get Hexyz Force then. Sounds like a game I'd like. Infinite Space. Ah, yes. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for mentioning it :)

Yggdrasil:
Those are already on my want list, but they are far off, are they not? As for P3p, I already got Persona 3 for ps2. Thanks for mentioning Nier again. Most people doesn't seem to like it much, I'll have it on my price drop list. (Unless you think it's a must buy :)  Might get P3p for my wife though. As she wanted to play Persona 3, but she also wanted to play as a girl. FFIX I played through already :) Awesome game.

Resonance of Fate was really good. The battlesystem felt fresh and the story had me wondering, without actually forcing long cutscenes on me. It is split up in episodes. Much like an anime. The story also reminds me about a goofy anime that evolves into a less goofy plot as the story progresses. (Think Cowboy Beebop maybe.)
 The characters themselves are not always interesting, except for a few weirdoes. The game has an interesting world map made of hexagons. And it is a treasure hunting minigame as well as only letting you open smalls part at a time. I had more fun with it than FFXIII. But RoF didn't have nearly as big production values as FFXIII though. + to RoF for letting me choose japanese voices.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 07:07:28 PM »

Yeah, The Last Story and Neptune are far for being released outside of Japan. But is always good to have a list of RPGs to enjoy later.

About P3P, same here. I play like 200hrs of P3 FES, and P3P does nothing for me really... the game is non-canon and is just fanservice. I have enough fanservice in my anime nowadays, so is a "no thank you" for me.

Final Fantasy IX was my 1st RPG, loved to death (still do) but never I finished sadly. Imma get it in mah PSP! >:D

And it looks like Resonance of Fate is the RPG that I've been waiting for my PS3. I will buy it when the price drops. About Nier, I suggest you to wait a little bit. Because there's a demo in development for what I know (beside the game have DLC that expands the story even more, and it seems that is going to be even more DLC for the game in the future).

So yeah, pretty much save your money. Good times are about to come.
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 04:43:28 AM »

I've found Star Ocean 4 International really cheap. Seeing as none of you recommended me the game, is it stil not worth it for 15? I know Star Ocean 4 International: has horribly awkward  cutscenes, since I watched a few clips on youtube. But I liked Star Ocean 1 on psp a lot because of the fighting system. And the skill system was great too.  Plus I remember liking the first part of Star Ocean 3.

Is it possible to:
  • Skip all the cutscenes but still have a clue to where to go next?
  • Enjoy the game based on gameplay alone?
  • Install the game to reduce loading times to nothing?
  • Finish the game without too much grinding at the end?
  • Have fun with cooking, funny skills, item making as before?

The review makes me think the answers are;

1: No info
2: Yes
3: No info
4: No info
5: Yes
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:06:05 AM by Tailzo » Logged
Jade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 06:09:08 AM »

Maybe you could import Tales of Vesperia for the PS3, if you haven't already. Rune Factory: Frontier for the Wii is also a very solid game, but sadly it doesn't include a Japanese voice track.

By the way, wheren't Valkyria Chronicles 2, Birth By Sleep and DQIX suppossed to have a summer release?
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 06:13:09 AM »

Maybe you could import Tales of Vesperia for the PS3, if you haven't already. Rune Factory: Frontier for the Wii is also a very solid game, but sadly it doesn't include a Japanese voice track.

By the way, wheren't Valkyria Chronicles 2, Birth By Sleep and DQIX suppossed to have a summer release?

I already played Vesperia on 360. Great game. Rune Factory for wii could be great, but wouldn't completely satisfy my rpg hunger :) I have no idea regarding VC2, Birth By Sleep and DQIX. But I am likely to buy all those.  VC2 and DQIX are day one for sure.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: