Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 27, 2014, 05:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341604 Posts in 13959 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley (PSP)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley (PSP)  (Read 3100 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:37:18 PM »

Has anyone played this? What do you think about it? Especially in comparison to other Harvest Moon games. It's not coming out where I live but I'm considering importing it and want to hear what some of you guys think about it.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »

Itīs a port of the PS2 game, Save the Homeland. I did not like the Ps2 game very much, you canīt get married and the load times were bad and taking care of the farm was a shore since the animations were quite long and boring...

But oh well just buy the game and try it...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 10:42:20 PM »

I'm working on a review for it for the site, and I really like it so far.  The load times are pretty horrible though for the game, I'm wondering if downloading the game would cut it down.  It's pretty old school harvest moon, which I like.  You also can get married in this one.  They did a good job at making things such as mining and fishing a little more than just simply pressing a button; there's  a bit more strategy to them.  The game also is definitely bang for your buck, you could essentially play it for a looooong time, since after the first 2 years ends part of the storyline and then opens up a whole new storyline with even new characters arriving into town. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:49:09 PM »

I'm working on a review for it for the site, and I really like it so far.  The load times are pretty horrible though for the game, I'm wondering if downloading the game would cut it down.  It's pretty old school harvest moon, which I like.  You also can get married in this one.  They did a good job at making things such as mining and fishing a little more than just simply pressing a button; there's  a bit more strategy to them.  The game also is definitely bang for your buck, you could essentially play it for a looooong time, since after the first 2 years ends part of the storyline and then opens up a whole new storyline with even new characters arriving into town. 

Sounds pretty cool. When you say the load times are horrible is it just the initial loading time? Or do lots of things load? Like entering a house or a cave etc.

Also, I've always really wanted to love a Harvest Moon, but none I've played have grabbed me enough. Is there anything different/interesting in this one that might get me there?

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 10:58:28 PM »

Iīm waiting for your review, wants to see how much it have changed.

Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:37:10 AM »

Thanks for reviewing it. My wife has wanted a new portable HM game for a while, but the one she tried on DS, she didn't like. (Although she only borrowed it a short while from a friend, so we didn't get to try it out a lot.)

What she wants from a new Harvest Moon seems to be:
  • Big variety of animals that doesn't look as chibi as the newer games
  • Interesting crops and farming
  • No fighting
  • Marriage
  • Faster pace than Innocent life
  • Fun fishing
  • If possible co op farming with me
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »

Sounds pretty cool. When you say the load times are horrible is it just the initial loading time? Or do lots of things load? Like entering a house or a cave etc.

Also, I've always really wanted to love a Harvest Moon, but none I've played have grabbed me enough. Is there anything different/interesting in this one that might get me there?

There are 2 problems in the load time, first... the black screen takes like 1 or 2 seconds to dissapear, of course, is not such big of a deal, but it appears everytime you change a map, it gets kinda annoying to get to the other side of the town,walk 3 seconds in a map, then 2 black screen, then walk another 3 or 2 seconds and black screen, the second pronlem (for me) is that the music stops when the black screen appears, and then continues normally when you re-appear, at least it doesnt starts from 0, but they could had let us enjoy the music while we are watching the black screen -.-.

Anyway i still love all HM games :D, new stuff? well one thing this one had in ps2 ver, and still haves and powered in psp ver. is that there are like quest to do with each of the townpeople, these quests will help you with your purpose somehow, wich is save the island :P, and now you can marry (wich the ps2 ver didnt had), part time jobs (new), fishing style (new), cut wood (new) smithing (new), great visuals.

BUT there is one main problem that really puts me in a bad mood sometimes, good thing the psp have the sleep function, you can only save when you go sleep! AGHH i hate when they put this in a HM game T_T

Thanks for reviewing it. My wife has wanted a new portable HM game for a while, but the one she tried on DS, she didn't like. (Although she only borrowed it a short while from a friend, so we didn't get to try it out a lot.)

What she wants from a new Harvest Moon seems to be:
  • Big variety of animals that doesn't look as chibi as the newer games
  • Interesting crops and farming
  • No fighting
  • Marriage
  • Faster pace than Innocent life
  • Fun fishing
  • If possible co op farming with me

Well, the game doesnt looks chibi at all so dont worry :) even more, is one of the best visuals of HM, in my opinion, i prefer the graphics on this one more than the wii's harvest moon.
There is no fighting, there is marriaga (yay :D), i havent played Innocent Life so i cant help you with that, the fishing is entertaining, and there is smithing and cuting trees as well, and part time jobs!, where you have to, deliver stuff, clean horses\cows etc.
And sadly there hasnt been any farming co-op yet D:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:57:33 AM by WildArms » Logged

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 07:45:43 AM »

Personally, this re-make reminded me a lot of the Tree of Tranquility game for Wii.

You have part-time jobs, which results you can influence yourself, by doing mini-tasks. The can get repetitive, because it's always the same, but I enjoy having that kind of controll over my results.
Part-time jobs I've found so far:

- Taking care of cows & horses (talking & petting them & milk the cow)
- Taking care of chickens (feed them and collect the eggs)
- Mining (Intersting principle, but I can't explain it very well...)
- cutting wood (Just that. chopping wood and picking up mushrooms if you see any)

Well and then there is the gathering and delivery quests for the cafe.

What really got me interested in this game from the start was the fact that there are several ways to save the town.
The official and obvious one, that will be pointed out to you straight from the start is collecting 50,000 gold in two years and thus buy it from Alice.

I'm not going to reveal more, just saying that from what I found out so far (also due to the handbook) there are AT LEAST 6+ options to figure out a way to save the town ^^

The girls I met so far are mostly alright. I have a slight distaste for two of them, but all others are kinda cute and not annoying.
The graphics are really good! I better than the Wii-one's (ToT) I'd claim.
Also bonus: you get a 'grass field' to harvest, that you do not have to take care off much more than cutting it :3 I always really disliked having to grow GRASS!

What else...
Well... I really like the personalities of the figures. They seem very 'alive' and not randomly put together.
The one suite-guy accompanying Alice reminded me STRONGLY of Reno from FF7 XD
Another thing that's new (to me) is that you only cover one field with new seeds and thus only get one plant. They do grow rather quickly thought.
Also, I've noticed that if I stand in front of the veil or field and access the tool-menu, I'm always suggested the watering can first, when I stand in front of a tree (not meant for chopping down) I'm suggested the hammer to shake the bugs or fruits off and things like that.
At first I thought it was coincidence, but now I think this might be some kind of artificial intelligence. Couldn't confirm it 100 % thought.

Also good feature (in my oppinion) if you have done everything you have been wanting to do for that day and would like to call it a day - because it's late as well and stuff - you can access the map and press triangle, then you'll go straight home and be given the option to save, before switching to the next day.
I remember always having hated it if I had to travel through all the maps AGAIN to get my figure into bed.

Especially with the already mentioned loading times.
The first time I thought the game had died on me. I'm not used to having no screen for such a 'long' time anymore.

There seem to be a lot of event too, thought I'm  not far enough into the game to figure out how many there are.
What I do know is:
- the Harvest goddess isn't annoying me this time and she's a marriage candidate :3
- if you give her an offering at a certain time she will apper (she usually always does that) and gives you the option to make a wish. It might come true. Or not. That depends on some facts, that I'll allow each player to figure out ^^

Overall, I've got to say, It's one of my favourite games of the HM series so far.

Just like WildArms said being able to save only when you sleep is a bit of a pain.
Especially if you can need up to an half hour for just one day.
At the same time I can't help but feel that the time is passing buy too quickly. There is still so much I want to do, but then I realize it's already to late to do 'this' and then pause to think about what else to do instead of it.

Guess that's most of it from my side.
Oh, and if anyone figures out what kind of food you can give the stray doggies, let me know? I already tried out chicken and cow feed and can't seem to find dog food or something like that.
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »

^Thank you for all the info :) I'm nearing the end of Lunar PSP, and the loading screen still have not made me give up on the game. Sounds like I wouldn't mind HM either then. Gotta ask me wife what she thinks though. She's the Harvest moon fan.
wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 06:39:27 AM »

^ My pleasure.

I found out a bit more.

You can pretty much feed the dog any kind of fruit or fish.
When it rains, it cancels quite a few jobs and most shops have two days a week off. It makes one really have to think about what to do.
There are several shows on 'TV' that are good for a laugh or something.

One more part-time job is at the house near the beach. During the week from 9-10 (not sure) to 2-3 you can work for her as a cook. She'll tell you what she wants you to make and give you intredients. Some combination will work.
Also, if you 'read' the piece of paper right on the counter right after entering the kitchen, you can sell them wanted food too. So far under the 'most wanted' items theres always been fish of some sort.

Also important: Each store has a normal selling option and a "most wanted" one. ALWAYS check the most wanted one first, because the items are often also found in the normal sell option - for less money.

And it's a bit irritating reaching parts where you think you can go on and then getting some sort of message like "You can't go there yet". Those parts are kind of blocked anyway, but one makes me really think "Geeze if you could take the staircase before, you can walk up that small hill too!"
i found two ways that will probably be open at a later point of time.

Current wanted bride: Harvest Goddess. It will be a pain to reach, but hey, what would a game be without a challenge?
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 06:24:36 PM »

^Thanks. I've placed an order. But since this is an import title for me, it'll take a while before I have the game.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 09:34:06 PM »

In my case, it was this or Hexiz Force. Damn... both Marvelous and Sting need my money....

Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »

^ Maybe you could get Hexyz first, and HM later?
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 06:21:51 PM »

I agree with most of the comments so far about the game. I'm not too far into it, but I do generally like what I've seen so far. The load times are indeed horrendous, but I'd also like to add that I don't like how things are generally divided. With only one building in each "area" for the most part, the whole environment feels barren and isolated. It is beautiful to look at, but walking around from area to area leaves me feeling oppressed and alone.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 01:43:19 AM »

I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the load times.  Has anyone tried the downloadable version?  Is it any better than the UMD?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: