Author Topic: RPGFan Community Photo Thread: 5th Anniversary Edition

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: RPGFan Community Photo Thread: 5th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #630 on: May 11, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »
Damn dude, that bike is really nice.  Looks like you dropped a bit of coin on it.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 12, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
If we are posting images about bikes.

I got it off bikesdirect.com for $399 (this is an older model the new cafe latte is white). I was kind of nervous about buying a bike online but its very quality and their prices are all excellent if you are looking for something affordable. Only thing is while it ships what they say 90% built you need a pro to assemble it for you, so I had to take it to Dick's Sporting goods for that but it only cost $35.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 12, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »
^This might end up sounding shitty, but trust me I'm just trying to look out for you Rook.  The original Motobecane went out of business in the early 80's, its name was then stolen re-appropriated by a Taiwanese company that has a bit of a reputation for being... less than top quality (BikesDirect is more or less their only distributor because of it) Be particularly mindful of their frame welds.  I'd make sure to check all of your weld points regularly for cracks, since the last thing you need is for your frame to snap when you're out on the road.  Luckily that looks like a steel frame, so you'll at least have some warning before anything catastrophic goes down (as opposed to an aluminum/carbon fiber frame which usually gives you zero warning).

Also, I'd avoid Dick's sporting like the plague.  Those people are paid about 12 bucks an hour and could honestly give a crap about your safety.  They just do the work order that's put in front of them and then move on.  Next time you need work done, just search for a locally owned store.  Chances are the person you'll deal with will either own the store or have worked there for a significant amount of time. Even though it'll end up costing you more in short term, those type of guys/gals almost always LOVE riding and will have your best interest in mind from the moment you walk in the door.

I could understand if you take or leave my advice, since it was unsolicited in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:58:07 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 12, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
I've had the bike for about 3 years and it works well and all of the components + wheels are Shimano. I actually had to go to dicks because the local shops wanted $100-150 to build the thing. I would have been happy to pay $50-60.

I know BD buys up all kind of bankrupt old names like Motobecane and Gravity but its been solid. I run it not hard primarily on paved trails (there are a ton of them where I live). Once just about every bike maker outsourced to china I don't care about the name too much. I still have a 2000 American made Cannondale M700.   

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 13, 2017, 07:28:55 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO0fcMpB5qLUwaz_hlu85qfivLemxTbMxOmvvQ0/?taken-by=jimfox14

Some of you may remember my old wolf dogs. Unfortunately, they both passed away in 2013. After a few years, and getting married, my wife and I decided to get our own dog, and we ended up with this goober. Her name is Nisha and she's a 1.5 years old Australian Shepherd. She's shy of people she doesn't know (but is very affectionate with my wife and I), but she loves other dogs, and she loves to play.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:32:09 PM by Jimmy »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile

TASTY!

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 21, 2017, 10:52:34 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO0fcMpB5qLUwaz_hlu85qfivLemxTbMxOmvvQ0/?taken-by=jimfox14

Some of you may remember my old wolf dogs. Unfortunately, they both passed away in 2013. After a few years, and getting married, my wife and I decided to get our own dog, and we ended up with this goober. Her name is Nisha and she's a 1.5 years old Australian Shepherd. She's shy of people she doesn't know (but is very affectionate with my wife and I), but she loves other dogs, and she loves to play.

Hey, belated congratulations on getting married! Also your dog looks adorable.

This thread is giving me hella bike envy though, as mine is pretty old and bought secondhand.  It does what I need it to do, however.